Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Hardy Chicago

dieseler
9 years ago

Been enjoying ripe figs from our inground Hardy Chicago
and decided to show a picture as i showed what a hangmans neck looked like in another thread.
Exterior and interior shown

Martin

This post was edited by dieseler on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 19:12

Comments (25)

• tobybul2 - Zone 6 SW MI
    9 years ago

Anyone have cuttings to share? I only have one variety (Chicago) that I got from Lowes 3 years ago which is now on a container. Zone 5 Michigan. I finally read up on how to root cuttings and would appreciate anyone there who has other varieties to spare. Please let me know. My email is eurocars_mb@yahoo.com.

I don't know how old these posts are bc they do not have the year in the dates.

Thanks in advance.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Toby this is first line in your post
    Posted by tobybul2 5 (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 23:00

Day /date/year/ time are there .
    As for inquiring about cuttings you may get some interest by starting a new thread .
    Good Luck
    Martin

9 years ago

ok Martin. I actually just did that. Thanks for he suggestion.

George

(Btw, do you have a diesel car? A W123 by chance?)

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Toby types -(Btw, do you have a diesel car? A W123 by chance?)

I do not have.

Martin

• User
    9 years ago

Last winter we had a historic freeze for my area. Down to 6F. Hardy Chicago came through it with no freeze kill.

For that matter so did Petite Aubique and Brunswick. All three are about 13 years old. All of my new in ground fig trees were killed to the ground.

I did not get brebas from Hardy Chicago but almost never do. The main crop starts in Sept and continues to late Oct. They are a good tasting fig in my cool Maritime NW climate,

• cyberfarmer
    9 years ago

Martin,

I assume Hardy Chicago is prized for it's hardiness. Do you think it is worthwhile cultivar for someone who lives in a mild climate such as San Diego where hardiness is of little use?

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cyberfarmer i could not answer that question as its all up
    to the grower eating the figs.
    Martin

• Ralph Whisnant
    9 years ago

The thing that I appreciate most about my Chicago Hardy tree is that it produces a good crop in August here in Raleigh, then keeps producing new figs until close to the first frost. I get a few ripe figs from it about every other day whereas all of my other varieties (Kadota, Celeste, Brown Turkey) finished two months ago.

• frozenjoe
    9 years ago

The fruit looks delicious Martin. Hardy Chicago is an excellent fig. Thanks for sharing.

Cyberfarmer I live in a mild winter climate and have a Hardy Chicago tree. It is definitely worth growing here in my opinion.

Joe

• scott_ga
    9 years ago

I also live in a fairly mild climate and Hardy Chicago produced most of my preserves this year. Well ripened like Martin's fig, it is delicious for fresh eating.

Scott

• rafed
    9 years ago

Martin,

I never had luck with the HC. I gave up on it.
    But I s hear many many good things about this cultivar. I guess it just doesn't like me;)

9 years ago

i have not done this yet but how do i avail myself with fig cuttings. I have 2 chicagos in containers that are doing well. Thanks.

• silvermaple7
    9 years ago

Looking for advice for overwintering my Hardy Chicagos purchased late this summer. I have two basic options - a semi-heated sunroom that probably never goes below 15 C, or an attached but poorly insulated garage. I am uncertain as to how cold it gets, but definitely below 0 C. Outside temperatures (Eastern Ontario) will occasionally go below -30C.

How cold can Hardy Chicago tolerate when dormant? One option might be to put a space heater in the garage to kick in when I hit that floor, though not my preferred. It seems to me the sunroom won't keep them dormant, but they won't do well with poor light.

9 years ago

I'm in wesr michigan and have 2 chicagos. The first year i had them i put them.in the ground. They survived but they back to rhe ground so in the spring they start over. After that i put them in containers so they get a head start with growth. Its difficult to answer your question without you trying it in yiur situation. Am guessing that if the top part dies it will only be to the top and will grow back in the spring.

• scott_ga
    9 years ago

Here in GA, where winter temps occasionally reach a low of -12 C (last winter) my mature unprotected in ground Hardy Chicagos did not have any damage. Hardy Chicagos in pots were just placed next to the house out of the wind until temperatures dropped below -6 C, then they went into the crawl space or the back side of the garage.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FrozenJoe thanks for the info about growing it in your climate.
    One day when we packup and leave intentions are much warmer climate and hopefully inground planting.
    Root pruning them here is a pain in the back .
    Martin

• silvermaple7
    9 years ago

Thanks for the input - I think I will put them in the garage, but with a box to enclose a smaller area with a space heater/thermostat in it to make sure it never gets too cold.

When would be the better time to re-pot? Now, or early Spring?

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You can re pot anytime long as your not root pruning.
    Martimn

• cis4elk
    9 years ago

Hi Martin,

Overall, how did the in-ground HC fair this year?
    I know you had the tree pretty much buried in snow last year which could have insulated it pretty well. How much of the main trunks make it through the winter. Obviously you got some fruit, but did you get as much as the potted HC gave you?
    One more question, how did the inground figs taste in comparison to the potted HC?

It's good to see your posts. Hope your turkey day went well.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The inground was damaged down to near soil level about couple inches above the soil line .
    It started growing and produced late in season with figs as
    good as the potted one.

The potted one produced less as it has less fruiting limbs .
    Martin

9 years ago

Inground figs in zone 6 and up bear fruit to late imo. Thats why I transferred mine to pots and store in my garage.

9 years ago

Hello. Anyone rooted some cuttings and willing to sell or share their cuttings? I have 2 Chicago's now and want to try other varieties. Thank in advance.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    9 years ago

Cyberfarmer, HC does great in So CA! Yummy!

Suzi

• User
    9 years ago

HC is one tough fig to beat in my climate----Charlotte, NC. Produces repeatedly year after year. My friends in Alabama said it does not do well there though. I don't understand why but it rocks here!

• dieseler
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Dennis,

Perhaps it depends on the grower's methods. Just a guess.

HC is pretty carefree inground but in containers needs are different as you know.

Send some warmer weather.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!