Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
First time fig grower. Progress Pics and some questions!

Posted by Omni 7A (NJ) (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 30, 12 at 19:21

I bought the fig tree from Amazon and it was about 2-3 inches tall when I first got it (sometime in mid July). I thought I had taken pictures of it during this time, but I can't find them.

Anyways, this is the fig tree at about 1 month old:

And these are pictures of it from a week ago (at this point, the fig tree was about 2.5 months old)

Right now, the tree is about 12 inches tall.

I plan on planting this into the ground next season. My questions for now are: should I just pluck the leaves and leave it in my garage? Or should I put it in an area in my house where it can get sunlight?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: First time fig grower. Progress Pics and some questions!

If it has been outside all this time, I would probably allow the leaves to fall off naturally, allowing it to go dormant. Then I'd place it in an unheated garage where it will remain dormant until next spring, watering only once a month or so, just to keep it from completely drying out.

o

The growth is still soft so you should not let it get frosted or freeze until it can harden its growth.
Cold weather will speed up dormancy but I think you should move it into your garage at night when the first couple of cold periods arrive because it still looks pretty green.

o

Omni,

It is neat how fast they grow...very rewarding.

o

• Posted by Omni none (My Page) on
    Wed, Oct 3, 12 at 19:25

Thanks bamboo!
I'm really hoping that it fruits next summer :-).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here