Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jillgallinaislandhei

fig tree saga

Hello fellow fig tree lovers
I have had a fig tree for 7 years, given to me by a dear friend from Italy as a house warming gift. From a small branch, beginning in the 2nd year, this wonderful tree bore a bounty of figs usually around 250 or so.
This past year, after a terribly cold winter, the tree got off to a very slow start and we thought it was dead. Then to make things even more challenging it got infested by the ambrosia beetle.
We had to cut it down to it's base and thought that was the end of our fig tree. It had a mind of it's own thank goodness, and sprung two branches from the base and little by little grew to almost it's original height. Then little sprouts appeared and developed into miniature figs which is my dilemma right now. It is just about October and the tree has about 85 or so immature figs that I fear will not ripen before the cold sets in. We have managed to eat three figs so far that ripened but nothing else looks even close to ripening. Thus, my question is, what do we do with the figs on the branches that haven't matured and ripened before we wrap the tree for the winter. Please advise and since we've never had this experience before, appreciate anyone sharing their expertise.
Thanks so much!

Comments (2)