Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starrling

New to figs & would love some advice!

Starrling
9 years ago

I've been browsing this forum for almost a year now and it has served me with a wealth of information. However, there are still a few questions that I would love to get some answers to. I bought two Chicago Hardy figs from Lowes today for about $8 a piece thanks to Kousa and want to get it right this time! My cuttings did great until it was time to plant them, once the leaves sprouted, they began to curl and turn brown until they eventually died. So here goes,

Should I re-pot them this late into the summer?

Each plant has figs already on them. Should I pinch them to promote more plant growth?

Our patio tends to get quite hot. Should I provide some kind of protection or cover for them?

There is a white mold on some of the old dead tips. Is there a chance of this spreading onto the live parts of the plant?

Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

~Nick

Comments (15)

• rjcantor
    9 years ago

I would cut any mold off if you're sure that's what it is. When a fig branch is damages it will "bleed" a milky white sap. When dry that can sometimes be mistaken for mold. You can put the plants in to a bigger pot but I wouldn't rearrange the roots until after the plants are dormant.

• Starrling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

It doesn't look as bad today as it was yesterday.

• Starrling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

One more.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    9 years ago

Ditto rcantor....Un-plug those trees without disturbing the roots, and re-pot them into larger containers, ASAP. Five gallons minimum, or even larger. Use a quick draining 5-1-1 mix. Get the trees into the sun, and keep them well watered until they go dormant. Good air circulation prevents mold, if that's what's on your trees. Figs need sun and heat, but shield the containers if necessary, to keep the roots cooler. Do not fertilize the trees now. The growing mix will have enough nutrients, but starting next year, fertilize your trees to encourage growth, and fruiting branches. Figs will come later, as trees develop more structure.

For now, pull off any figs. They'll never ripen.

This forum, and the Figs 4 Fun Forum will have all the answers to any of your questions.

Good luck, and have fun.

Frank

• Starrling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for all the info, Frank! I've been looking all over the place and can't find any fine pines mix for the 5-1-1. This is getting discouraging. I've tried everywhere.

This post was edited by Starrling on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 23:21

• eboone_gw
    9 years ago

They are difficult to find this season, many places are not getting in any more mulch. In my area the best reasonably priced solution is Agway Pine Bark Mulch, I usually pull out only a few larger bark pieces and a little pine wood from each bag. I also found some at a local KMart that was not quite as good midseason when the Agway was out of mulch for the year. Recently all I have found is lesser quality pine bark mulch at Walmart - using it as a last resort for a few up-potting needs. Dont use the cypress mulch as a substitute.

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    9 years ago

Substitute the smallest pine bark nuggets that you can find. I usually buy "Mini-Nuggets". The important thing is to make a mix that drains freely. ALL the tree's nutrition will mostly come from the watering solutions. The mix is basically inert, will provide fresh oxygen for the roots, and is there just to support/anchor the plants/roots into the container you choose. Water should pour through the mix very quickly. If you want a little more water retention use Turface MVP or Napa #8822 Floor Sweeping Compound for some of the peat moss.

Use a "cheater stick"- a wooden dowel plunged into the container - to test for moisture levels surrounding the roots. When you think the trees need watering just withdraw the stick.... and if the stick looks/feels wet... the mix has enough water. If the stick is warm and dry, water the trees.

Happy growing.

Frank

• Starrling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Would reptibark work well for this? My fiance works at petco and I can get 20-30% off of the substrate. It was my understanding that it needs to be slightly decomposed to provide extra nutrients for the plants. Otherwise it becomes the gritty mix which apparently breaks down slower over time.

This post was edited by Starrling on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 21:51

• eboone_gw
    9 years ago

Any organic material breaks down with time. Ive never seen reptibark, but I remember seing posts about it's use for potting.
    As Frank mentioned above, you should provide most nutrients via fertilization.

• Starrling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I went out today to see if I could find some alternatives. Would any of these work?

• Starrling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Only size reference I had.

Also, I did not poke the holes.

This post was edited by Starrling on Fri, Sep 5, 14 at 22:31

• Starrling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Or my only other option.

• Starrling
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, I can't seem to figure out which form of lime to use. Powdered, granulated, or pellets. I know I can find pellets, but I've no idea on the other two. Which one is best for figs in pots?

• abunari
    9 years ago

Once I found a bark product at walmart sold as pine bark soil conditioner I believe worked great. Particle size was perfect and my potted blueberries are doing fantastic. Wish I could find it again. Think I found it around April may time period. I live in central arkansas. If only I can find a good grade ibc tote also my garden would be wonderful and my figs would love the extra water

• abunari
    9 years ago

Once I found a bark product at walmart sold as pine bark soil conditioner I believe worked great. Particle size was perfect and my potted blueberries are doing fantastic. Wish I could find it again. Think I found it around April may time period. I live in central arkansas. If only I can find a good grade ibc tote also my garden would be wonderful and my figs would love the extra water