Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
franco_2008

Selling 25 and 12 Year Old Fig Trees

franco_2008
13 years ago

I have 4 fig trees and I can only keep 2. I was wondering what would be the value of a 25 Year old, potted in a half wooden barrel with a single trunk and a 12 year old potted in a smaller barrel, multistemmed. They both have been root pruned every 3-4 years and are both heavy producers. I do not know the type, a friend gave me my first one (25 Years Ago) and he did not know, he tought his uncle brought a branch from Abbruzzi but I am not sure. Because I have a new computer I lost my photo capability, sorry I can not post a photo at the moment.

franco

Comments (12)

• ejp3
    13 years ago

Its hard to say what they are worth without knowing the variety and seeing pictures of the plants. Certain varieties (and this is just my personal opinion here), such as celeste and brown turkey are not woth as much to me as say vdb or black madeira. What zone are you growing these in?

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I think the key question is to find some willing buyer who lives near you to pick the trees up. I assume shipping will cost a fortune. If I am near you I will be interested in the younger tree. Where do you live?

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Franco lives several 15-20 minutes from me which is south suburb of Chicago. I have seen both trees and there wonderful specimens, the one is big in half whiskey barrel and im not sure but it would take several men to move up a ramp into an open pickup trucks bed.
    I will post his pictures as soon as he give me permission.
    Martin

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Members,
    Franco gave me persmission to post his pictures, he live south suburb of Chicago and you may contact if interested thru the forum email system i suppose. The trees are very nice.
    Here are the pictures
    {{gwi:824087}}
    {{gwi:824088}}
    {{gwi:824089}}
    Martin

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Wow!!! Talk about nice trees. Wish I lived near by.

• rafed
    13 years ago

Franco,

I may be interested in buying both trees. Will gift one to a great figster and keep the other.

I have no way in contacting you. I have a semi truck so transporting it is not an issue. But the question is can a semi truck go into your street?

I would also like to know what numbers $$$ your are looking for?

You can find my contact info on my page and please email me your contact info.

Thank you in advance,

Rafed

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Rafed
    i took care of contact, look in your regular mail.
    Martin

• franco_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

hello,
    I would like to inform everyone who may have had some interest that I sold both trees today. The gentleman who came to pick them up recognized them as figs originated in Italy and mentioned possibly to be Zucchero nero d'Abbruzzi, he seemed excited about it, I never knew the exact type.. I would like to thank much Rafed and especially Martin for all the help on this.
    Franco

• rossello44
    13 years ago

Hi Franco,
    Wonderful trees. I have a question: how did you keep them in the winter? I am looking for ways to keep my fig tree alive during the winter. I believe my zone is 5b (upstate New York).
    How could you depart from these two trees.
    Francesco

• franco_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Rossello,
    Because the tree in the wooden barrel is extremely heavy I keep it all summer on a heavy duty 4-wheels that you may see a little on the picture. Then I made me a tubing with 2 "S" handles bolted on and when the time comes to go in my garage I just hook the handle on the 4 wheeler and wheel it in, once every few years I put new wheels on because staying outside they deteriorate. It is quite easy but I am now in the 70's and is very difficult to root prune, I am also limited to weights I can lift. I have 2 smaller ones of different type that will be sufficient. I hope this is a little help
    Franco

• rossello44
    13 years ago

Thanks Franco'
    I grew up in Sicily and (as you probably know)figs trees over there grow wild everywhere. We had several plots of land and we used have several types of figs. Very big trees (about 30 ft diameter and 20 ft high). here I tried many times with very little success. Three years ago my son gave one for fathers day and this year for the first time it gave me 10 edible figs and many not ripe. They were very good. Now i want to do the right think to make sure it does not die.
    Thanks Franco
    Francesco
    btw we have the same name

• rafed
    13 years ago

Would the gentleman that purchased these two trees please email me?
    You can find my contact info on my profile page.
    I will reply to your email with my question.

Thank you in advance,

Rafed

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!