Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Fig Branches In Water

dieseler
13 years ago

My season basically finished for figs, so a little bored until i have to put them away i cut some branch tips and put in rain water Sept 18 and some Sept 20th some are showing roots and some nothing .

One VdB AND NeroBC show roots forming.

Just having fun.

Violet de Bordeaux

NeroBC

{{gwi:824119}}

Best Health

Martin

Ebay Id

Dieseler6z92

Comments (18)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

Wow! Looks like its time to put those in some soil.

So Martin help me out here. You just took the cutting and cut the leaves off and put them in rain water? You gave no time for the wound on the end to callous at all?

• noss
    13 years ago

And those look like green branches, from the photos. Really good photos. How long will you let them stay in the water before you plant them and in what will you plant them? That second photo fig branch is exploding with roots!

noss

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi ,
    Thisisme yes to both your questions. ; )

Noss, yes green, im going to let them stay in water and let the roots keep growing and growing if they decide to, when i will plant them im not sure im just having fun with them .
    I remember when i was but a child grandmother used to root her fig tree branches for folks this way and i recall seeing those when we visited her on Sundays in Chicago the vases had lots of roots in them.
    She was my influence into the world of gardening. I have many stories and fond memories of those times.
    Martin

• sergnic
    13 years ago

Martin, please, may you resend me your e-mail address?
    Bye
    sergio_carlini@alice.it
    sercarlin@tiscali.it

• ch3rri
    13 years ago

I was thinking about rooting them in water too. But then I read from people that they will rot. Good to see your fun experiment. I will too try to root some in water.:)

• noss
    13 years ago

Maybe rain water is the key to their doing all right.

noss

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I don't know about you noss but I can't wait for it to rain again.lol

The cuttings look like they were actively growing with leaves still on them when they were cut. Its my understanding that, that is how it was done.

Figs are so easy to root its hard to stop them. However when I rooted two of my favorite figs which I got from our gardener. I tried to root some 2-3" diameter branches in water to no avail. Like I had been told, they rotted. Given my experience I had no idea current seasons growth would root in water so easily.

• vince_2007
    13 years ago

Martin Do you find VDB is one of your best producers.I got a VDB and a Marcellus VS B last december and I got a lot of figs of the VDB and not much of MVSB. I also have Dk Port. and HC which are 4 years old but not great producers like the VDB Your thoughts.
    Vince

• Ann
    13 years ago

A couple of years ago someone (Chills?) posted a technique for rooting that, for me, has an almost 100% success rate. Put a pencil-thick cutting (8-12") in a ziplock, wrapped in a damp but not wet paper towel. Forget about it for a few months. Then plant! One time I took a chance with wet paper towels (just to see if it would help them root faster) and they did get moldy. Even so some of those still rooted.

Ann

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Vince for me personally VdB does produce well in large container.
    I also have Hardy Chicago and at about 6 foot it is a good producer as well for me. Both very good tasting figs to me.
    Proper management is important and fig tree will be happy .

Hi Ann
    yes beauty of figs is there easy and fun to root .

Best Health
    Martin

• northeastnewbie
    13 years ago

MArtin My question is what is your expectation from this cutting that you have rooted now? Now I have a limited experience with rooted cuttings so my question might sound off. If you have a rooted cutting the cultivar is starting to grow. All of the other trees are going dormant this time of year will you allow the new cutting to go dormant or will it be kept in an active state of growth?? Is this an experiment and the cutting will be discarded??? I like the idea of rootig in rain water and I will definately try it but not until spring in my zone.

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Northeastnewbie,
    i will keep them active then give to some co-workers i have been promising in spring . To late to put them up in auction but have scion to do that with this winter to help offset the hobby costs which can get expensive since retirement.
    Martin
    Ebay-id
    Dieseler6z92

• rigo76802
    13 years ago

I've got a 2ft branch that i want to root but it's too big for ziplock...can it be rooted in water? i was hoping to root the entire 2ft branch so that the fig larger from the start. would it be better to just cut it down to 10" lengths and put into a ziplock bag?

• rob5020
    13 years ago

Hi Martin,
    I was wondering how did your fig cuttings do in the water did you pot them yet?Thanks and God Bless.
    Robert

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes they were potted , the nerobc petered out but the Vdb made it just fine.
    Martin

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Martin,

Would the water method work with regular tap water if you let it stand a few days to get rid of the chlorine? It's pouring right now, but I don't have a bucket in sight! Story of my life.

noss

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Noss,
    i would think so, after alll ive rooted in past in baggies, peat, started in cups in mix etc all using tap water .
    For me and me only some scion roots well some just does not, some root fast and fizzle out.
    For me anyways there all diferent.
    When it comes to rooting in water though i notice the greenish wood seems better to use as opposed to seasoned wood but thats just with me. ;)
    Martin

• noss
    13 years ago

Thanks, Martin,

noss

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County