Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_arnie

how to do a cutting

organic_arnie
16 years ago

I have a very healthy 7-year-old green ischia (verte) fig. A friend has requested a cutting. When and how should you do the cutting so that you don't injure the tree? And how many cuttings can you do at one time?

Comments (5)

• FO876
    16 years ago

7 yr old tree and you've never pruned it? :)

Most ppl will tell you its best to wait until its dormant, then just snip away the number of cuttings you want to give away in 6-12" lengths or prune as you see fit.

• juniormint
    16 years ago

Is the green ischia the same as the 'verte' or strawberry fig sold through Paradise nursery (now out of business)?
    And are both of these the same as adriatic fig? I did get that impression from previous posts.

• organic_arnie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

No, I've never pruned my fig. Is there something wrong with that? The tree just put out about 75 figs, all delicious.

So, fortisi 876, after I prune out 6-12" lengths, what do I do then? Wait until spring to plant it? Put it in a pot? Store in the refrigerator until spring? Thanks for letting me know what I need to do to get the cutting to take root?

In answer to juniormint, the green ischia is the same as verte. I got it from Edible Landscaping.

• edarnell
    16 years ago

Check out the 'easy fig propagation' thread, I just posted on it which should make it easy to find. Summary of that thread is:

1) you can propagate a new plant by lowering one of the branches to the ground, tying it in place and covering it with dirt. It will grow roots and you can dig it up/clip off the new section of roots when it goes dormant next fall and replant it for someone. Supposedly this is the easiest way.

2) If you take cuttings once it goes dormant, refrigerate the cuttings over the winter, wrap them in barely damp/misted papertowels and re-mist as needed every 2-4 weeks. Then when spring comes around, plant the cuttings HORIZONTALLY and very lightly sprinkle 1.5 inches of soil over them. Keep the dirt just barely moist and cover it with a lid or seran wrap that will keep them warm and moist but not cut the oxygen flow. After 4-6 weeks they should start sprouting through. By far the horizontal method seems to be the most fool proof for rooting cuttings. I've tried all the methods mentioned in that thread and it's the only method that produced fig roots and sprouts =)

As far as what to do next, everyone seemed to recommend letting them grow in that container for a season, then when they go dormant in the fall/winter to gently replant them into larger containers or into the ground. Apparently it's very traumatizing for them to be replanted while they are growing during the season while they are so fragile.

I took my cuttings in June (not the recommend time), put them in the fridge for a month, planted them horizontally in July and now it's September and I have sprouts and leaves! If *I* can get them to sprout in September then I can only imagine taking clippings in the fall/winter and planting them in the spring when you are supposed to can only make it that much easier!

• organic_arnie
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks, edarnell, for your excellent suggestions.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH