Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hoosierbanana

Fig mite symptoms

hoosierbanana
9 years ago

I recently bought a handheld 40x "active eye" microscope and discovered fig mites on many of my plants. After treating with miticides I have seen a rapid decline in "FMV" mottling/spotting symptoms. These spots develop after the leaf emerges, as it grows and expands.

The symptoms could have cleared because the mites were causing them, or the mites were spreading FMV more rapidly up the plant than it can move itself.

Even with a microscope they are very difficult find on plants, unless there is an infestation (a microscope is still required but there are enough to find easily). It would be very easy to imagine they do not exist!

Below are a few pictures showing the symptoms and different plant's recovery after treatment with miticides, roughly 2 weeks ago.

This tree was planted as a rooted cutting in June, new healthy leaves that did not develop mottling:

Old damaged leaves:

Yearling raised in the greenhouse showing healthy new growth.

What is likely damage to the fruits.

A seedling which was pruned back below the first mottled leaf, some growths emerge deformed and were removed.

Some leaves have cleared totally but some have areas of discoloration still, although not spotty like before, perhaps mild FMV:

I tried a soap solution first but it seemed to have no effect at all, so I bought sample sizes of Forbid 4F and Avid on eBay. Forbid is systemic and lasts 45 days, and is only labeled for non-bearing fruit trees, although in Canada it is labeled for many fruits. Avid is labeled for many fruits and can be sprayed 3 days before harvest.

I also got some Azatrol and will continue to treat through the main crop, it is supposed to have no effect on taste and can be sprayed the same day as harvest. Also systemic.

These mites should not survive freezing temperatures, but plants kept indoors or in well insulated structures could host female mites within their buds. In mild climates spraying at bud break is the best time to kill these females and get good coverage of all leaves.

Comments (6)