Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herman2_gw

Col de Dame white!!!!!,:Best Tasting fig,Known to me!!!!

herman2_gw
17 years ago

I Had Two Ripe Figs of this cultivar-Today September 09 2006.

Me and My wife had a shocking Surprise as of How good this fig was tasting.

This fig was a cutting from UCR DAvis California.I Rooted it in Spring 2005,from cuttings received in January 2005.

In the "Ira Condit HILGARDIA" the fig is described as with an large open eye ,subjiect to insect infestation,and splitting.

It is also described as having an insipid taste.

But In Robert Hog "1887-FIGS IN ENGLAND"it is described corectly exactly as it is and his remarks are:It is one of the most delicious fig in cultivation.

And That is why i ordered it.And Now I want to do Justice to this wonderfull fig.

It is so good that thow i had tasted about 30 varieties of figs till now ,not one was better than COL DE DAME.

And it has the potential to get even better because these two fruits were getting ripe Last 10 days out of wich about five was raining and three were cloudy.

IT ALSO DID NOT SPLIT AT ALL HAS A VERY SMALL EYE,IS NOT INSIPID,INSECT COULD NOT GET IN IT,AND IT HAS THE MOST FLAVORFULL SWEETEST PULP,SKIN AND EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN,OF ALL FIGS I TASTED TO NOW,bEST OF ALL IT IS AVALABLE AT ucdavis_california AND NO FIG LOVER SHOULD BE WITHOUT IT.

It makes me doubt more and more how sincere and true some books are written.

Comments (21)

• edarena
    17 years ago

Herman do you know the UC Davis Accession ID #. Please post this information. Thanks Ed

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

And another information in HILGARDIA That makes me Laugh:On the island of Majorca (Spain)This fig was used for Hog and Cattle feed.
    I wonder how good figs for human feed tasted.
    I really doubt it was used for animal feed ,what i think is there was a green fig look alike that was used for animal feed on the island of Majorca Spain.
    Because if it is used that way in Spain i want to go there and act and eat like a pig maby they will trow me some of those fig to eat.I can even screem like a pig if i will be sure i get some of that good stuff!!!!!!!!!!Peace to you all.

• gorgi
    17 years ago

I SEE a rush for this one!....
    Herman, today is my birthday (getting old...); as a present,
    please reserve one FUTURE tiny twig for me; if else fails...
    George (NJ).

• etneo0
    17 years ago

Dear Herman,

You can go to Mallorca, but no one will throw a Col de Dame to you. No chance at all, considered, as I stated to you in another subject, as the best late season fig ever...

I am curious about your weather.. Could you please give me an explanation about your climate conditions ? For me, Spring arrived at the beginning of June (20-27°C), we had a heat wave in July (35°C), then August looked like october (7°C to 17°C), September is always nice with temps ranging from 15°C to 25°C, mid October it's already autumn (10°C to 15°C) and then until Christmas little frost, and then snow, strong North winds until 15 April with temps between -16°C to 5°C and then average cold end of April till beg. of June (2°C to 10°C). My weather is very often cloudy, rainy, awful.

This means that the figs I grow and if they succeed are quite exceptionnal for the weather conditions.... (I plant them to the ground).

Of course a Col De Dame would be a dream come true, if not so late and if not needing to have so much sun...

So I am curious about your weather conditions, so to understand better...

Regards,

Etneo

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well Etneo,Springs are much hoter than in your place but imprevisibille as to have a frost till 1st of May.Yet you can have 25 C hot in March.
    Sommer are much hoter than in your place up to 40C,with High humidity.
    Fall are usually warm till end of Nov,but danger of frost can be on 25 of Oct.If not Is warm till Dec.with 25C,close to mid DEc.Havy rains are distributed all year long up to 15 cm.each month or more.The whether can change in one day from sun to rain ,to snow and back to sun in the same day.Very variable whether,here in New Jersey.Last year it was no frost till Dec.Regards

• bjs496
    17 years ago

I got CdD from UCD this year. They all rooted nicely, but I think one of them is among the three that suffered ant damage to the bark/trunk, but that is a different subject. Now I'm really looking forward to getting figs from this one next year.

Thanks for the update, Herman. Happy belated birthday, George!

~james

p.s. I don't know if what's going on with the UCD website, but this is the last link I have for CdD (DFIC 074)

Here is a link that might be useful: DFIC 074

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Here is my third fruit getting ripe.There are eight more green figs on this little tree.

• threejsmom31
    17 years ago

How do you go about ordering cuttings from UC Davis? I am having trouble finding the information on their site and am hoping that fig forum members can tell me. I am trying to find out what the charges are. Thank you, 3jsmom31

• palmfan
    17 years ago

Dear Herman,
    Is this cultivar reasonably hardy? Any breba? Looks nice! I just placed my first order on-line for this variety.
    Sincerely,
    Palmfan [Jim]

• bjs496
    17 years ago

3j's mom

Follow the link, click on the varieties you are interested in, check availability. If the cultivar is available, you can order directly from that page.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Davis

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well Jim I do not know if it is hardy or not .As you know ,no fig is hardy in zone 6 without protection.The little plant was in my Garage over the winter.I do not recomend this variety to beginers,or people not willing to do what it takes to protect it in the winter.?????All i was stating was that it taste very good and,not that is hardy or easy to grow.

• FO876
    17 years ago

Herman,

Like gorgi the 9th was also my birthday so if you have a second spare twig to spare lemme know!!! Ya know us NJ folk need to stick together! ;>)

Ciao!

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry i do not have any cuttings.It is too small to start chopping it in pieces.Next year maybe!!!!

• jonathan
    17 years ago

Herman,

I looked at the UCD website, and can't find the "white" variety for the Col de Dame?

Do you have the exact ID? Just didn't want to waste time with the wrong variety.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/acc/display.pl?1002178

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/tax_site_acc.pl?DAV%20Ficus%20carica

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, UCDAVIS only has White Col de dame.There are two more,Black and gray,and they suppose to be just as good.So i mentioned White because it is the white col de Dame,what they have.

• etneo0
    17 years ago

Hello Everybody,

Here some info from French litterature, friends and other.

1) Col De Dame is hardy to zone 8.
    2) Col De Dame Noir is said to be much sweeter than Col De Dame Blanc.
    3) Col De Dame Noir, Blanc and Gris are very powerful strong growers. They belong to the tallest and widest figs. Height and width probably like Mission Fig, Brogiotto Bianco, Brogiotto Nero, Grise de St-Jean, Desert King (not sure about this one but seems very vigorous).

Bye,

Etneo

• gorgi
    17 years ago

Yes-fortisi876,
    For us NJ fig people; I came to the conclusion that
    it is more of a SHARING thing (rather than a 1-to-1
    trading issue)...
    Regards,
    George(NJ).

• vin143
    17 years ago

The UC Davis number I found is:

DFIC0074 Col de Dame

Vin (NJ)

• leon_edmond
    17 years ago

I finally had the opportunity to taste several Col de Dame Gris figs in the past several weeks. It is an excellent fig in flavor and sweetness. Apart from the skin color, it is identical to Col de Dame Noir. I obtained my Col de Dame Gris from a french source. This next season, I will need to airlayer some new starts since my potted tree somehow acquired some nematodes. I'm not sure if UCD carries this particular cultivar.

• xon2000
    17 years ago

In the same conditions the taste of coll de dama , Black, Whit or Grey is not different.
    In Catalonia the most important fig that we grow is Coll de Dama ( Black ), but at particular homes often you cant found Coll de Dama ( White ). If you have the opportunity to acquired some plants of Coll de Dama ( White ) , donÂt hesitate you to try it.

Â Â
    Â Â
    Â Â

• salvatoretodd
    17 years ago

I believe this is the one in Sicily is called Catalanisca or Catalana and is famous for being very good (all of them) but beside the size of the tree it seems that requires a lot of heat and is one of the last to ripen.
    When did it ripen in New Jersey ? are you in land or close to the coast?
    Ciao
    Sal