Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Alma fig

Posted by sffog 10/SanFran (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 21:24

in 2011 got a fig called Alma Texas A&M, it grows well and had some fruit last year but they did not ripen. this year I have 12 fruits and today I tried a nice ,good sized dark soft one, YUK it was awful dry and pithy but it sure looked pretty,( i would take a picture but I don't know how to post it) does anyone know anything about this fig if the other fruit ripen and are still dry and pithy, I am getting rid of it.or should I give it another year. I have it in a large nursery pot.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Alma fig

Different growing conditions of soil and weather makes difference. I have Alma in 7 gallon pot. The breba fruit on Alma ripened in August and they were good. The main crop is expected to ripen here in zone 5a by the end of September or early October.
Don't discard and give it more chance with more care (watering /fertilizing/pruning/pinching etc..

o
RE: Alma fig

• Posted by sffog 10/SanFran (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 2, 13 at 13:09

Thanks ottawan, i'll give it another chance, it gets pampered, i wonder why it's pithy and dry. maybe it needs more fertilizer, i know it gets water, pruned and pinched. I think maybe it needs root pruning when it goes dormant, it's pretty tight in the pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here