fig seed

Posted by boydanny none (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 12, 12 at 21:46

Can anyone help me please, do figs come true from seed

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fig seed

NO!

Figs are different than an Oak, or, Maple. They will not grow true-to-type. One fig tree out of thousands of germinated seeds might yield a fig that's edible...if, you're lucky. Far too many may need a special wasp to fertilize the figs. This wasp lives in only select climates. All, very complicated...with high failure rates.

On this forum, are postings regarding the germination of fig seeds. After reading a few threads, you will come to realize just what it might take to "discover" a new, superior variety that has been grown from seeds. I think UC-Davis once had a seedling-selection program for figs, and many have tried going this route.

Good luck in your research.

Frank

o
RE: fig seed

NO DON'T TRY I HAVE TWO TREES BOUGHT FROM WILLIS NURSERY FROM SEED I HAVE TO TAKE THE DECISION EITHER KILL THEM OR USE THEM AS A ROOT STOCK TO PROPGATE THEM.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here