Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my first fig tree, winter question

Posted by pvel 7a (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 25, 11 at 22:19

I planted a fig tree (Brown Turkey). It is 4 feet high and already had some small figs when I bought it. It came from a local nursery in a 5 gallon container and I planted it in the ground on the south side of a fence.
My question is this: Will I need to take any steps to protect it during the winter. Here in Northeast Arkansas we get a few days in the teens and 4-5 inches of snow per season. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my first fig tree, winter question

The short answer is yes. You have to winterize it. just lookup winterizing and you'll see lots of posts about this topic.

o
RE: my first fig tree, winter question

RE: need winterizing help a.s.a.p. (Follow-Up #31)
posted by: tonysiny on 11.22.2007 at 12:16 am in Fig Forum

Here'e My Metehod:
I HAVE 8 FIG TREES GROWING IN MY BACK YARD.
I always wait until late October or early November to wrap my fig trees. If the leaves and/or figs are still contained to the branches, I remove them and use for mulch. Also, the wrapping procedure is always done on dry days. Do not let moister/water enter the enclosed fig trees......

1- Cut back each fig tree to 5 feet high.
2- Mulch the base rooting system with one foot of mulch to prevent freezing of the roots. I make my mulch by composting dry tree leaves, grass clippings and kitchen scraps throughout the summer months.
3- Tie up and tighten each of the branches to form a closed umbrella.
4- Wrap roofing tar paper around each fig tree leaving an openning on top.
5- Wrap and tie roping around each fig tree and secure to a inground peg, i.e; a 2 foot stick banged into the ground next to each fig tree.
6- Completely fill to the top, through the top openning - in each fig tree, with dry tree leaves.
7- Top off each fig tree with used heavy weight paper to finalized the insulation.
8- Covering the remaining top openning with tar paper and secure with roping.

I have been doing this for the last 5 years with great success.

Your fellow fig lover ----- Tony From Staten Island, NY

---------------------------------------------------------------------- ----------

NOTES:

TONY'S FIG TREE TYPES (8 TREES)
-------------------------------------------
BROWN TURKEY FIG TREE
MISSION FIG TREE

ITALIAN WHITE FIG TREE

PETER'S HONEY FIG TREE

delete this clipping edit notes email clipping visibility: public

clipped on: 07.15.2010 at 01:28 am last updated on: 07.15.2010 at 01:43 am

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here