Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avidchamp

Oklahoma Brown Turkey Fig

avidchamp
16 years ago

A couple of days ago, I found this monster fig hiding in my Brown Turkey fig bush. The tree/bush is loaded as usual this time of year and they start ripening about mid September each year. We only manage to get about a dozen ripe ones before cold knocks the leaves off and then it freezes back to the ground for it to all start over next Spring. Normally, the figs that do ripen are about golf ball size, but this one is the largest ever and is like a small Orange in size. I tried the little food scale and it only showed about 2-1/2 OZ, but I am sure that it weighed more than that when first picked. It is slated for breakfast tomorrow morning. This year I will be trying to figure a way to cover it after the first several frosts with maybe a light bulb under the cover to see if we can get some growth from this year's shoots. They are about 6 feet tall and there must be at least 30 of them coming from the ground. They normally get slightly larger than thumb size.

I have been monitoring posts about wintering the figs and I would appreciate any comments from others as to how they winter theirs. I am located in mid Oklahoma, USA which is just about the geographical center of the US.

Thanks, Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Large Oklahoma Brown Turkey Figs

Comments (20)

• pjb3811
    16 years ago

Hi Bob,
    If your tree is freezing back to the ground every fall/winter, you might want to consider potting it in a container which you can then bring into a protected, warmer, non-freezing environment and allow it to go dormant for the winter season. That way you will preserve the previous years' growth, so it doesn't have to start from scratch every spring. I'm surprised you are getting any ripe figs from these new, annual shoots, but congratulations on that. The tree must have a very well-established root system, but by not allowing it to benefit from previous years' growth you are really expecting a lot from it. If you do decide to switch to a container culture, there are some major precautions to take, which I can help you with, if you choose.
    PJ

• avidchamp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks PJ!! Absolutely, I would like to hear suggestions regarding the containers. I presently have a Chigago Hardy in a 25 gallon cattle watering container that I plan to bring in for the winter. I purchased it last fall from a nursery in the Seattle area and wintered it in the small pot that it came in and then transplanted it this past spring into the large black pot. It is really doing great and has a number of figs now. Many are still just peas size, but we have gotten a couple of ripe ones just in the last week. I drilled 5 holes around the bottom of the container, blocked them with pieces of broken tile and filled the container with Miracle Grow Garden Soil and top soil. I have the top mulched with pine bark and water it daily. The water drains through the soil and goes out the drain holes. It has progressed from about a foot tall to about 3 feet tall and the main stalk is about thumb diameter. There is one side sucker that is finger diameter and also another stalk coming from the roots. All three have figs on them. It probably is ready for some pruning and I would appreciate advice on that also. I had hoped to move it to the yard next spring, but I may decide to keep it in the container to work with after I hear your suggestions and caveats.

The other small potted figs are Brown Turkey that I have rooted from prunings of the larger one in the yard from last fall. One is promised to a friend in McAllen TX and the other 2 are up for grabs.

Bob

• FO876
    16 years ago

Hey Bob, thats one big juicy looking fig you managed to squeeze out in one yr.

Have you given any thought to winterizing in ground?

I agree with PJ, you are asking a lot from this tree if its starting over new each yr. I know cuz Ive had the very same experience with my fig tree. Two yrs ago I managed to winterize it properly for a change and it survived, that following season I didnt have any issues with my crop ripening and it gave me almost a 100 figs, the most ever.

IMO, if it starts new, it spends most of its energy/time growing rather than bearing fruit in the proper time frame.

Last yr, field mice got into my 2 yr old tree (over the winter) and ate the bark clean off the base so I lost my tree but it did sprout out new saplings (about 6-8). This time I tried something I had never done before and that was keeping it as a bush and pinching the tips when they got to 4' tall to help redirect its energy into bearing fruit rather than growing. In the past it would of gotten to be 6-7' tall easily. By doing this it actually got loaded up with figs (I believe more than ever on its 1st yr) but none have ripened thus far. Luckily here in NJ we're still getting some decent weather so Im being hopeful.

• sugarshane1313
    16 years ago

Avidchamp(Bob) email me about the figs u have up for grabs.sugarshane1313@gmail.com thanks Jim

• gardenmaker
    16 years ago

Hi Bob,

I too live in central Oklahoma (Norman) and I have been growing fig trees (shrubs in OK) for several years. I have only one variety and have propgated it through cuttings. I find that many winters here will kill the tops back but I have always had it come back. New growth from the ground will reach 7-8 feet in one year and will produce quite a few figs. Mid Septermber to frost has been my harvest time. From the first of October till first frost (approx Nov 4th)I usually harvest (if I can beat the birds to them) 6 - 12 large ripe figs per day and still have small ones that don't make it past the frirst killing frost .

The link below is to my personal web site and I have a picture of the fig tree there. You will have to go through a few menus to find it but go to the link for Charlie & Margarets Urban Landscape for Sept 21, 2003. Look under backyard and the SW corner.

I am willing to talk more extensively about my experience growing figs in centarl OK but this might not be the place to do so.

Charlie

Here is a link that might be useful: Norman Area Gardens

• chills71
    16 years ago

Charlie...

If you want to discuss growing figs (in whatever location or climate) then this certainly is an appropriate forum. We are here to learn from eachother with regard to what one grower finds successful and what they might not. Please consider sticking around and sharing your successes with us.

~Chills

• gardenmaker
    16 years ago

Hi Chills,

I will stick around and share experiences.

I've found that face to face meetings are quite productive in discussing gardening so whatever avidchamp (Bob)and I learn from each other, I will try to summarize here.

I beat the birds to 8 more figs today (two trees)and hope for more tomorrow.

Charlie

• phalnellie
    16 years ago

I live in zone 6 in northern TN; do you suggest that I dig up my brown turkey and put it in a large pot for the winter. It's a couple years old. Didnt get one fig this year from the new growth. Yes the orig. tree died back and only a new shoot came up. Suggestions will be appreciated.

• gardenmaker
    16 years ago

Here is a link to an article on figs found on the Texas A&M horticulture website. http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu//extension/homefruit/fig/fig.html

It applies mostly to growing figs in Texas but has been a helpful reference for me here in Central Oklahoma.

Charlie

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Fruit production - Figs

• gardeningmartha
    15 years ago

I purchased a Brown Turkey Fig this past spring. It is planted in my yard, facing the south. Will it survive the winter or do I need to put it in a container? It did produce some figs this year, but none ripened. I would really like to have some figs next year.

• fignut
    15 years ago

gardeningmartha, It is very difficult to give an accurate answer without knowing your zone or general location. The best responses would come from folks in your area.
    That being said, it is not necessary to dig up your plant. You can "winterize" it if your winters are severe, and uncover it in late winter or early spring. There are plenty of threads on overwintering if you do a search.
    Good Luck.

• jumpbackmac
    15 years ago

Hey you guys are being too gentle with the fig trees in winter. I'm 40 miles South of Oklahoma City and I cut mine back to about 18" as soon as I'm through picking the fruit (usually after the first frost.) I have not covered mine in the winter but it is facing South and is planted next to a metal barn that probably reflects a lot of heat. This is one I got from one my Dad had at his place just East of Ada, OK. I just dug up part of the root with a couple of branches on it and planted it. He always cut his back in the winter.

Mine gets to about 7-8 feet each year and bears at least 50 figs. The key is plenty of water. I'm going to take plantings off mine this winter and have more next year. I do have the problem of a lot of small ones left at harvest because of the short growing season. Maybe I'll try a few of the new ones in a small greenhouse.

• belinda_2010
    13 years ago

I'm new to this forum and figs. I'm in Tulsa, OK (zone 6). I was at Southwood Nursery today and saw Ok Brown Turkey fig and Celeste. I noticed that the Celeste was twice the cost of the Brown Turkey. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two? I'm leaning towards the Brown Turkey for cost alone right now.

• wildforager
    13 years ago

Hi Belinda,

Celeste has smaller fruit that is much sweeter than BT. Its been called "the sugar fig" by some. I wouldn't worry about buying the plants that you mentioned. If you're looking for other options just keep talking to local friends or others on this forum you can get all kinds of stuff. There are very kind and honest people here who have a wide variety of figs that are true to the name on the label. There is also a plant exchange forum on GW and you could even trade something for a small fig tree. Good luck with whatever you do.

-Little John

• saldennis2000_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

I just received my Brown Turkey Fig trees. (balled) I live in SouthEastern OK. Can I plant it now? I think maybe our last snow is over (I hope) Any help is appreciated.
    Sally

• deb4tune1912
    10 years ago

I have several fig trees on the south side of my house in what should be the dog run, but is now the fig forest. They are more than mature, and very beautiful (kinda like me) but I always fail to beat the birds to the figs. Or there are no figs to find. I'm in northwest OKC. Any ideas how to harvest figs?

• Katie Pierce
    8 years ago

Hello, I really love figs and dates- fresh. I live in NW-OK in Blaine county. I buy these items at the Med Deli on May st-OKC, but so desperately want to grow my own. Anyone has some they would like to share? Please tell me what the BT ones taste like. I've read all the post and saw that the other variety mentioned was really sweet. Can we grow other varieties in OK? ...also a techy question, how will I know if someone responds to this post? Thank you all for this encouragement!

• Cora
    4 years ago

I'm in Tulsa and bought a Celeste Fig at Sprouts last summer. It is young. I planted it facing south. I did not get any figs last year and it is surviving the cold-22 tonight and 15 last week. I am glad to read instructions to prune it back to 1/3. Thanks. I'll see if I get fruit this year. I also have 2 cuttings of brown turkey given to me last summer by a friend. They rooted well and I have them overwintering in the living room in a sunny west facing window. They are still leafed out and putting on new growth. It sounds as if I can safely plant them out next spring and leave the in the ground ? Would it help to cover them with hay ? Or do they become acclimated. Hers is huge and was there when she moved in.Fun to find so many Oklahomans on this site !

• garybeaumont_gw
    4 years ago

Most figs produce on last years growth. Cutting 2/3 of the top will probably remove all the previous years growth. You could remove some of the bigger canes to keep the fig bush smaller.

Do not over fertilize. If you do it will produce vegetation instead of figs. Many people do not fertilize at all, just apply a mulch. I apply some but I get almost double the rainfall that you get. They grow well in containers but I would think figs should do fine in the ground where you are.

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!