Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fignut

Weeping Fig Pictures

fignut
16 years ago

This is my first attempt posting pictures (Thanks to Peg for forwarding James' instructions).

This is an April view of my friends' tree. Note how the trunk is very upright, but the branches coming off it drop and then turn back up. It looks as if it would have been taller, but was cut back to two laterals.

The leaves are broad and simple

This is the tree in May. The leaves and figs are only borne on the tips of the branches.

Main crop figs forming above the breba crop in May

Main crop figs and almost ripe brebas in July. Note the tip bearing habit.

Another picture of almost ripe brebas in July

Top view and size reference of two brebas

Side view of the brebas

View of the eyes

Interior of the larger fig

These figs were about 50 grams, sweet and juicy. I don't usually peel my figs, but I found the skin to be a little too tough to eat.

This variety appears to root readily. I had some root in three days and all the cuttings took.

Hopefully my friends will send me a sample of the main crop figs also and I'll give an update at that point.

Comments (22)

• dutchfiggy
    16 years ago

Fignut, nice pictures and interesting fig tree.
    Do you know the variety name of this tree, you do not mention it.

Angeniet

• fignut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Angeniet, I do not know the variety name. I got cuttings of this fig from friends, who in turn got it from their neighbor who moved and couldn't take the fig tree with him. The neighbor had purchased the tree - it was not a family heirloom.
    I had previously asked if anyone knew of any weeping figs, and got one response that a nursery had had a prostrate form (which this tree is not) which it had sold to someone in Connecticut.
    However, I think that the tree pictured above is very similar to a tree on the Belleclare web site captioned "Weeping Fig". It is the last tree in the top row in the "See Our Fig Orchard" link.
    The picture is very fuzzy, but the straight trunk, leaf shape, drooping branches, and tufts of leaves at the branch tips, make me think this is indeed the same fig. And how many nurseries have a weeping fig? Belleclare.
    Belleclare did not seem to have this fig in it's list. Or if it did, no mention was made of the habit. I think this would be strange, but not everyone thinks the weeping habit is notable. The friends who have this fig were more than amused at my reaction when I first saw their tree. To them it was just their "best fig", they hadn't even mentioned the way that it grew.
    If this is indeed the same tree, I've added to variety confusion by calling it "Black Weeping Fig".

Here is a link that might be useful: Belleclare

• fignut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I just noticed that I have the weight of the figs at 50 grams. That is incorrect. The "small" one was 4 1/2 ounces, and the larger one about 5 ounces - a big difference. These things are quarter-pounders! LOL
    This was my first time posting pictures and I ended up resizing twice and finishing much later than I started - tense, tired and incorrect. My apologies.

• gene_washdc
    16 years ago

Fignut,
    Just happened to look out my window this morning and saw that three of the figs had ripened on the one you sent me this spring. I think this is the first time I have had figs ripen the very first season:

• fignut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Nice pictures Gene, thanks for posting them. I haven't seen any of the main crop figs yet. My friends kindly sent me some nice brebas to try, and I'm hoping they will remember me when the main crop is ripe.
    First year figs aren't usually up to par, but how do you rate them for taste?

• gene_washdc
    16 years ago

They weren't bad; sweet, but not a lot of character yet. I'm betting they'll be much better next year. Weather's cooled down a bit just these last couple of days. These made it in just under the wire.

• FO876
    16 years ago

Fignut- if you have any cuttings to offer this fall Ill gladly take one/some or trade if I have something you want. Ive been wanting something that makes a BIG fig like that.

• gorgi
    16 years ago

fortisi,
    If you want BIG, amongst other figs, also consider
    Hollier and/or Italian_Everbearing/Guilbeau/Walker.

• FO876
    16 years ago

Cool thnx gorgi!

• rob5020
    16 years ago

Hey Fignut,
    I was wondering do you have a rooted cutting of this fig for sale?Thank's

• fignut
    Original Author
    16 years ago

rob, Your e-mail address isn't listed - kindly send me an e-mail so I can respond privately.

• jimmy_56
    16 years ago

Yes, our trees look the same. Now we need to find the correct name. Thank you Jimmy_56

• baust55
    14 years ago

have been reading all of the old posts to pick up as much info on growing figs and info on the many cultivators . I am interested in seeing some some photos of any Weeping Figs any of the members here have and descriptions of how they performed

• bonsaist
    14 years ago

Two days ago I picked my first fig of the weeping black fig on 7/17. It is the breba crop. I was really pleased with its flavor, very sweet juicy resembling black mission in a way.

Bass

• applenew2
    13 years ago

wow those figs are nice!! I'm looking for a place to get a cut of fig tree in CT, wonder if there's any nursery place selling them now T.T..so hard to find people selling figs here.

• vito12831
    13 years ago

Hi Fignut
    Great pictures.
    I would love to trade or buy cuttings from the weeping fig.
    Send me a email
    Vito

• jimmy_56
    13 years ago

Hi Fignut

Can you e-mail me

jim

• noss
    13 years ago

Those weeping trees look like they are trying to grow upside down. What fascinating trees they are.

noss

• alpharetta
    13 years ago

Hello Fignut,

Can you please email me too? I would like to get a cut of weeping fig from you.

Thanks
    Alpharetta

• jimmy_56
    13 years ago

Hi Fignut

I sent you photos of my Italian weeping fig back in 2007 and we agreed they looked the same, Well here some pictures of it now. I can't find the photos of it in 2007 if you still have them would you be kind enough to post them.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/fig/msg032020288188.html?2

Thank You,
    E-mail me

• jimmy_56
    11 years ago

reposted

Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert