Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chills71

stressed fig tree fruiting question

chills71
10 years ago

One of my potted figs was stressed due to lack of water and dropped most of its leaves. It has 3 main stems and one of them (without any leaves) has 6-7 figs on it. I decided that In addition to watering it, I would also pot the plant up (from 5 gal to 15 gal).

My concern is that the figs have started to swell and ripen, which since the plant has no leaves, has got me wondering if I'm wasting the tree's resources ripening fruit when it probably should be saving resources for winter at this point (I can't see it leaving out in mid-September in Michigan).

This plant, being in a 15 gal pot now, will be spending the winter in my unattached garage (with a few other similarly potted figs). I know that the figs in 15 gal pots have no difficulty surviving the winter, if they're prepared.

Are my concerns unwarranted? Should I pull off the fruit (believe it or not, I'm not really lacking in fruit right now, figs or otherwise)?

You'd think after years of growing these, I wouldn't be terribly surprised by them. Having this plant ripen fruit without leaves, however, has left me a little stumped.

Thank you

~Chills

Comments (2)