Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
noss_gw

Is There Such a Thing as a Truly White-skinned Fig?

noss
13 years ago

I'm just wondering if there is such a thing as a truly white-skinned fig. If so, does anyone have a picture of them to see?

Thanks,

noss

Comments (12)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I have never seen a white fresh fig but I have seen dried figs that looked almost white.

• noss
    Original Author
    13 years ago

In thinking back, I did see a fig that looked very white in someone's photos on either this forum, or f4f, but I don't recall who that was, or when, now. It still wasnt' dead white. I think it's funny that green figs are called white. Shen I first heard that, I really thought there were figs with actual white skins.

noss

• ottawan_z5a
    13 years ago

I thought that light coloured i.e. yellowish and greenish skin figs were dumped together as white figs.

• noss
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I've seen that they are lumped together. What's wrong with calling a green fig a green fig and a yellow fig yellow?

Still, I did see that one pic on one of the forums that did look nearly white. I wish I'd bookmarked it, but didn't think to do so at the time.

noss

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Noss, Panachee figs in our area are white in color when they are young. The white color changes to light yellow as the green striping appears. Panachee is reputed to be a bud sport of Col De Dame Blanc and some claim it to be a good tasting fig. My young tree has a few figs on it that are just now starting to swell. I hope I get a chance to taste one this year. They sure are pretty figs looking like little hot air balloons.

Dan

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago

There is one variety that was once descibed to me as having the lightest color of most fig colors. You don't see postings of it but it is called China White.

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

First of all for a fig to be white instead of green or yellow,the climate has to help.
    I have seen very white figs in other climates but not here.
    In fact figs should be divided in 2 groups,Light skin and dark skin.
    All the confusion will be ended ,then.
    That is because a Black fig in my climate become a purple fig somwhere else,and a green fig here is yellow in other climate.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Hello Leon,

I have China White in my collection. It is a medium to large sized light yellow/green fig. What is very unusual about this fig is the light fluffy texture of its meat. The meat itself is very white in color. I could ID this fig blind folded by this fluffy meat attribute alone. It peels real easy as a result of its unusual meat texture.

Dan

• leon_edmond
    13 years ago

Hi Dan:
    Thankfully you have this fig to describe it. From what you say, I bet the name implies the inside pulp of this fig and not the skin itself. Very interesting!
    Leon

• noss
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dan,

That's an interesting description--Light, fluffy texture.

Sounds like a whipped-textured fig. Does that mean it has fewer calories? LOL!

Don't mind me--I'm in a strange mood tonight--I would love to see and taste this fig just because it sounds so different. Does it have seeds?

noss

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Leon, I think you are right about the name referring to the white meat. Some of the fluffy white meat separates & sticks to the fig skin and the rest remains covering most of the pulp when you peel it.

Noss, My tree was damaged last winter and produced only a couple of small figs this year. It does have seeds in the pulp. China White has a pleasant taste....but, nothing special so far about this cultivar other than it has a very "unusual" meat texture which makes it super easy to peel.

If you are looking for seedless figs like some people. Marylane Seedless (AKA Jelly) and Flanders do not have any seeds at all. Some who have IBS, diverticulitis, or who wear dentures sometimes cannot eat figs because of the tiny seeds. Those two cultivars do not have any seeds and could be eaten with any irritation whatsoever.

Also, Yellow Marseilles would be a good choice too for those who cannot handle small seeds. Yellow Marseilles has VERY LARGE seeds.....the largest I have seen in any fig. These large seeds could not get under a denture plate. What's interesting about this particular cultivar is that those large seeds give this fig a pronounced nutty flavor. It could easily be called a PB&J fig......because it has that kind of flavor to it. It is a delicious tasting fig. Also, it seems to handle some rains without any problem and is on my special attention list.

Dan

• noss
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would have to try one of those seedless figs before I would take the time to grow a tree. Somehow, they don't sound like I would like the feel of them. Maybe if they're spread on hot, buttered toast, it would be delicious, though.

If I ever get dentures, I'll just take the things out and gum the figs with seeds and enjoy them that way. Gotta make sure I keep the choppers I have, so I can crunch up those little seeds. :)

noss