Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Figs to practice on

milehighgirl
11 years ago

I blame bamboo_rabbit for my re-surged interest in trying figs in my zone. She posted on the Fruit and Orchards site about the Japanese step-over method and it got me really interested. Since then I have been looking at cultivars and reading a lot of posts here. I have managed to keep two Chicago Hardys alive for four years but that's about it. They have died back every year even with bringing them into the garage in the winter.

So now I want to give this thing a really concerted effort. I want to try one of the CH in the ground next to the foundation and protected this winter and bring the other one inside just to see how they do.

My problem is now I am interested in other cultivars. I am astounded at the price some figs are going for on Ebay. One Green World seems to have good varieties that will be well suited for a cold climate. Is there anything wrong with just buying their cultivars and seeing how I do?

Here is a link that might be useful: One Green World Figs

Comments (11)

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

Milehigh, I would check on Garden Watchdog for reputations. I would suggest checking out Rolling River Nursery. They are an excellent nursery and tend to specialize in more cold tolerant varieties. Their prices are comparable. I would contact them for their opinion of their most cold-hardy varieties. Now, that being said, if you don't mind waiting a bit, you can save some money by just getting cuttings and rooting them yourself. Much less expensive, and fig cuttings are about the easiest thing to propagate. Some of the varieties to consider are Celeste, Tacoma Violet, Paradiso, Sal's EL, and Brooklyn White. Perhaps some of the forum members would be willing to sell you some cuttings, and you can propagate. Let the figs stay in pots, coming in and out for a couple of years, so they develop a decent root structure. Then, plant in the ground after your frosts are over to get well established, and hopefully to survive your winters. You're right on the edge of fig survival in zone 5B, but if you're willing to try some protection, you might actually have some winners/survivors!

Patty S.

• cstair
    11 years ago

Milehigh,

Bass, who started Trees of Joy, has a lot of experience growing figs in a cold climate - Bethlehem Pennsylvania. You might consult him on what varieties of fig trees he recommends. Have you had any luck with pomegranates in you zone? Have you tried Kazake, Salavatski, or Russian 18?
    www.treesofjoy.com/

Chas

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

hoosierquilt,

Rolling River seems to be sold out of quite a few varieties already. They had a special of 5 cold-hardy figs but I missed it.

Chas,

I have been watching Trees of Joy on Ebay and I am amazed at the prices they are getting. I guess what I wanted to know is if it's worth my while to see if I can keep an inexpensive fig alive before I pay for a higher price one that might be better but might not survive.

As far as pomegranates go I have ordered an Angel Red but have not received it yet.

• hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA
    11 years ago

milehigh, contact Rolling River directly. They are always replenishing their stock. I have an order for 3 poms that will be ready in a few months. One is available now, but two were not, so I emailed them, and have paid for all 3, and will shipped all 3 when the other 2 are ready to go. They are very nice. Another option is Almost Eden Plants, https://almostedenplants.com/shopping/default.asp They are very nice, and sell basically rooted cuttings for a good price. I was able to pick up a Verdone fig from them. It as so well protected in the shipping box I could barely get it out. And yes, Trees of Joy is taking advantage of the Ebay Fig craze. Amazing. Another option I completely forgot about, if you can find it (one of the really crazy figs in demand) is Ronde de Bordeaux. It is hardy to zone 5, and is extremely good.

Patty S.

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi, milehighgirl

My zone is 5 but I live in Ontario, Canada.
    By searching on the Internet, I've found out
    USDA is offering free fig cuttings:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/Services.htm?modecode=53-06-20-00

There is a lot of information on this website so you
    need time to look through!!!
    If you are thinking of placing this order,
    please act fast as the deadline of ordering is Nov 1st,
    You can ask fig members in the Fig Forum who has
    gotten free fig cuttings from USDA by posting
    " How to obtain free fig cuttings from USDA, details please!".

I want to do this too, but unsure how to proceed with the
    delivery process.
    Maybe I should post the subject too!
    So please give me your story if you've choosen to
    place an order to USDA.
    I call the free cuttings "Stand-by plants",
    so GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

Fignewbies

• cstair
    11 years ago

Didn't realize Trees of Joy was doing that on Ebay...

Hate to bring bad news, but Angel Red is not cold hardy at all. From personal experience and other people I have talked to, Angel Red will freeze to the ground in zones 7 and 8. Kazake, Salavatski, and Russian 18 are the most cold hardy. Then maybe Crimson Sky and then Favorite. Any other varieties will have to be kept in a pot and brought inside. O.K. I know this is a Fig forum...

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

fignewbies,

I have ordered from the GRIN site at Corvallis for pear scion. They were very generous with the cuttings. I never saw a bill for this on my UPS account so that is troubling since they sent it Next Day. Here is where you can start your search. You can search for cultivars that are available or all assessions.

http://www.ars-grin.gov/cgi-bin/npgs/html/taxon.pl?16801

cstair,

I understand about Angel Red. I plan to bring it inside. Rolling River has Salavatski in stock but everything else I want is out of stock. I guess I will have to send an email.

• cstair
    11 years ago

I might can give you a few cuttings of the above cold hardy varieties in January if you would like.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cstair,

Thank you for the offer. I don't have figs to share but I have cherries, apricots, pears, peaches, plums, apples, shipova, and maybe I have a mulberry too. And I have LOTS of garden seeds. I never seem to do things by halves. Ugh!
    I'll get a better list soon. If you or anyone else are wanting something maybe you could send me PM or point me to your trading page. I don't have mine updated at all.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I used to complain from the cold weather like you people. But I decided to build a green house beside my house where one side is my house. My woman was objecting and crying but I never paid attention. I am not a handy man if they grade handymen my grade will be lousy. but I did it. I checked my trees today the old leaves are falling and I am using it as mulch and the trees are shooting new leaves and branches. The thing which made me smile and brag to my woman and friends I found my fig trees awarded me with 50 brebas one was ripened and ready it is so big it fit snug in a coffee mug it came from my canadria fig tree. My only regret I did not build a bigger Green House I know I am getting greedy.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Foolishpleasure,

I would love to be in a zone 7b like you. My neighbor has an empty greenhouse and we are thinking about using it for figs and persimmons. We just need a plan for keeping it cooler in the summer. I had an evaporative cooler that I gave them so maybe we can get it rigged so we can enjoy too.

Did your woman cry for joy when you brought in the figs?