Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ottawan_z5a

Will removing apical dormant bud help in rooting of cutting?

ottawan_z5a
13 years ago

I used to prefer terminal cuttings of fig branch for rooting because the apical tip bud delightfully opened fast causing hope of a beautiful plant. Howeve, in some cases the cutting struggled to root and some cuttings never rooted and the cutting with pretty shoot eventually died. Since the objective is to cause rooting before the stored nutrients get depleted gradually , I thought it may help rooting if the shoots are somehow delayed and one way is to remove the dormant apical bud of the terminal cutting.

There is a statment in the reference website below that says (translated) "Some people cut the apical bud. It can think that prioritize the rooting delaying the growing leaves. My experience, for the dormant wood, it has suggested me that nothing different happens. ".

It is possible that the observation may not be very true when it says " My experience, for the dormant wood, it has suggested me that nothing different happens. ".

http://www.microsofttranslator.com/BV.aspx?ref=IE8Activity&a=http%3A%2F%2Fgalgoni.elirob.com%2FENG%2FReproduccio%2Farrelar.htm

If it is true that removing the apical bud helps in rooting of cuttings by conserving nutrients for rooting then by extension of this it will also help to minimize the number of potential dormant shoots to one or two healthy dormant buds.

My thoughts are based on intuition only and not based on any experiment or botanical knowledge and would like to know about informed opinion on this.

Comments (5)

• noss
    13 years ago

What is an apical bud? Where is it located?

Thanks,

noss

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

The Apical bud is the tip.
    I didn't notice much difference. I was successful rooting both cuttings at the same rate. The cuttings with apical tips grow straight up and look nice.

bass

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Akram
    Good question and i dont know the answer but have had success both ways although i prefer to have the budded tip when rooting as its faster for me to create the shape of tree i desire if it roots.
    That tip the apical bud has the auxins in it by cutting it on a " Growing Plant" your sending the Auxins downwards and creating lateral branching.
    Is there movement of the Auxins in "Unrooted" pieces of scion when the apical bud is cut in dormant scion and or fresh cuttings?
    If so would this put even more strain on that piece of scion trying to root by movement of the auxins sending the signal " hey time to grow more branches outwards thus taking energy away from it trying to root?
    Like i said great question and i hope it can be answered.
    Martin

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

For figs, terminal/tip cuttings (with the apical meristem) work best for softwood cuttings. Internodal cuttings are best for hardwood and semi-hardwood cuttings.

Often, several internodal cuttings can be taken from a single branch. There are often considerable differences in the chemistry of these sequentially taken cuttings from individual branches. The highest rate of success and most vigorous rooting response will generally be found in the proximal cuttings (ones closest to the roots). In almost all deciduous species, the number of preformed *root initials decreases markedly from proximal to distal (root end to branch tip), though in easy-to-root species like carica, this is of less importance because of the normally high % of rooting success.

* What most of you refer to as initials - the little white bumps you can see - are actually root 'primordia'. Root initials are hidden under the periderm (bark).

Al

• noss
    13 years ago

Thanks, Bass. I like getting the trees from the apical cuttings because they make nice, straight trees. I have several that were cut off, but put out a bud almost at the tip of where it was cut and I staked those to straighten the growth of the new shoot and, though that makes a more wavy tree trunk, I still got a single trunk. My LSU Purple was all over the place when I brought it home. I really couldn't find the top. I chose the branch that looked like it might be the tip and staked it upright and it's done fine. The LSU P trunk wasn't very thick when I got it and it looks as though the branch that I tied upward was the real top that wasn't sturdy enough to stand by itself and fell over to look like a branch. Don't know--don't care now because it's doing very well.

noss