Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
infigurating

Fig tree not Ripening advice please.

infigurating
11 years ago

Good Morning all,

My parents have had a fig tree in their garden since they bought the house 10+ years ago, over the years figs have always grown on the tree but have very rarely ripened. I believe ony twice have they had fruits from the tree. There has been no 'management' of the tree to try and get these fruits on the tree nor to get them to ripen. However it has been cut right back a few times as it does grow quite large.

As you can see from the picture, it is very bushy for a 'tree'. I have looked at a few of the posts on this site and this is normal?

It is on top of a south facing cliff, with little protection from the elements (probably made worse by the removal of the fencing that was behind it protecting it from the attacks from the sea). We are in the south west of the United Kingdom, so when I say the sun can get to it all day, that is when the sun is out!

Is this just a case of better management of the tree is needed, (cutting back & snipping off after 5 leaves??) or would the concensus on here be to try and take a cutting and transplpant it to another location that is more sheltered? And possibly another country that has more favourable weather conditions?

If it is move the tree, what is the most succesful / easiest way of doing this and what time of year should it be done?

Comment (1)