Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowing leaf on fig tree

Posted by AnaCosta none (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 6:20

Hi guys!

I purchased my very first fig tree a few days ago, and I planted it in a large vase and watered it, not too much though.

Now I already have 2 problems with it:

1) Shortly after, two or three days later, some of the baby figs fell. Today I opened a few to see what was wrong with them and all had larvae in them. I read up on it, and presume it is fig wasps. This shouldn't be a problem as I intend to keep my fig indoors for the time being. Please correct me if I am wrong and must do something urgently.

2) Please see the attached photo. One and possibly two leaves are going yellow, like as if they were stained. I need your help in identifying this problem and in administering the proper treatment. Is it fig rust? For the time being I have left the affected leaf on the tree, but placed a transparent plastic bag over it (probably useless lol).

Thanks for reading, any help will be immensely appreciated!

Edit: I can add that the tree is indoors, in Portugal, it has new leaves appearing from top and trunk, and one fig is actually ripening quite well, while the others are still young.

This post was edited by AnaCosta on Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 7:50

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowing leaf on fig tree

I am not a fig expert but the yellow irregular patterns on the leaves look like Fig Mosaic Virus, a common disease of fig plants. Usually if you keep your fig plant healthy with adequate water, fertilizer, good potting soil and good drainage in your container, and adequate sun, the harm to the plant is minor. Most fig plants with FMV will grow and produce quite well with good growing conditions.

Maybe others with more experience can add their opinion - I am not certain of the diagnosis.

That does look like an otherwise healthy young plant!

This post was edited by eboone on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 8:46

o

Thanks eboone! It's been two days since I spotted the yellow leaf and so far it's still only affecting one leaf. Hopefully she's got it under control.

I will read up on that Fig Mosaic Virus. Thank you so much for your comment! :-)

o

Yes; it is the common FMV.

Most (if not all-figs have it), and it shows mostly while
they are under some kind of stress (e.g., while rooting).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here