Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Jolly Tiger Fig

dieseler
15 years ago

Hi, i was looking around last night and ran across what this thread is about that variegated leaf fig tree called jolly tiger.So i started a new thread. I never ran across this thread on forum about this tree and did so only now thru google search engine this morning. Anyway i emailed several questions about the tree and i also think 110.00 for Me is not in the cards. I would like the tree otherwise for the color among the ones i have , kinda like our hostas with there different varigated leaves . I wonder if fig taste good also, here are a few answers from email, im afraid to direct quote for fear that i should not do that and i dont want any kind of trouble so i try to put in different words but same answers.

The tree was found in japan 4 years ago, to him the fruit looks like tiger fig and is said to be a "sport" of it.

I asked if the variegated leaves are only on young tree's and change as tree gets older to all green, reply was the mutation appeared only a few years ago, and there tree's which are several years old still show it. Thats the information i have gotten i did not ask about taste which is unusual for me im always curious about taste but for some reason i did not ask. I would really like to have this tree for the unusual leaves and of course i always thought the fruit looks great on the Pananchee tree, but unless 1 of my tree's start growing money inside fruit its out of my reach. Hope this help in a little way about some who might be curious about it or otherwise.

Martin

Comments (19)

• johnsvmf
    15 years ago

Martin,

I guess from the time you posted until I checked, the price moved from $110 to $125. I think I will pass until there is more known about the plant. I have limited space for plants that produce fruit in the North East. I have plenty of non ficus carica varigated plants that provide color.

Vinnie

Here is a link that might be useful: Asiatica Nursery Link

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

Hi Vinnie,

Martin can't talk to you right now, he's trying to talk his better 1/2 into letting him have ONE MORE Fig tree.

;)
    Cecil

• gorgi
    15 years ago

I have seen that (Jolly) variegated fig leaf picture before.
    Not sure if I had just stumbled on it, or someone else
    on the FF's had pointed it out. It was much cheaper then,
    and I still gave it a pass. I do have a young Panachee
    - the ORIGINAL Tiger fig. Also, there is another new
    unrelated LSU Tiger fig (NO-variegation-whatsoever).

Nowadays, one can almost find any plant/tree with
    variegated leave, including just a plain grass.

The big question is:
    From which specific-fig-variety did this 'sport' originate?

• dieseler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Vinnie, i cannot believe that i was at the site last night about 10:30 pm central time, the price was 110.00 so like you said it jumped to 125.00 as i went back and check. Im not negative person i hope and to put in nice way thats not good to do with price.

Cecil no no no thats not true, no way , beautiful tree but no. 1 day i have to fix you. ;)~

Martin

• xgrndpounder
    15 years ago

Martin,
    You can't "fix" me I did that right after our last Kid!

Cecil

• gorgi
    15 years ago

Just sent Asiatica Nursery my question...

My guess is that is a 'further' sport of the Panachee,
    which (up to now) produced both variegated (young) wood
    and (late-ripening) fruit (not leaves).

Jon also has a Panachee, with some branches 'reverting'
    back to plain-green. He calls it "Reverse" and says that
    it ripens much earlier.

Some 20 years ago, I got some dwarfish variegated Hosta
    plants from my brother. Nowadays, I see that some of them
    reverted back to plain-green and 2x+ size...

• gorgi
    15 years ago

Are there any other-somehow "Tiger" figs in Japan???

• dieseler
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gorgi,
    thru email he did mention it was discovered 4 years ago, i find that odd but i'm just novice on those things,my hostas so far have not done reverted back yet hope they do not they break the plain green color in yard.
    Martin

• hlyell
    15 years ago

I have this fig. This was my tree's second full year from a very small plant that was rooted in 2006 (about 10" tall when I got it). I was going to post about it when I had time. I really don't have time now, so please be patient. I have some pictures and notes. I'll try to find some time to round it all up in the next few days. I will give you one advance piece of information. The figs are NOT like Panache figs. More later.

Henry

• marius67
    13 years ago

i just checked the website again today,it drop off at $90.00 for one year old plant.Still....way to much...

• rafed
    13 years ago

I'm sure there could be some members that could sell cuttings of the variant.Or even a small potted one.

Rafed

• debbies_cockatiels_2
    13 years ago

Hello Everyone, Does anyone have this Jolly Tiger
    Fig Tree for sale, If so please send me an e-mail.
    Thank You , Debbie

• chills71
    13 years ago

I replied to this one yesterday....hmmm...

The company which previously had offered this fig is no longer in business (though they supposedly had 10 or so in stock when they went out of business).

~Chills

anyone save a pic of it?

• Airymind
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone, Does anyone have this Jolly Tiger
    Fig Tree for sale, If so please send me an e-mail.
    Thank You , Lim

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

They sure are cool to look at. Interesting fig!

• dieseler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Budbackeast i have also, those figs you show in picture are they on a branch with variegated leaves ?
    Mine only ever appear on such a branch and not an all green branch, those on all green leaf branch display all green .

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Hello dieseler,

That is just a picture from Google Images. Not my own tree. I wish!

• dieseler
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK then that may not be an actual jolly tiger as those figs are surrounded by what appears to be solid green leaves so it tells me that that is a panache plant.

Jolly tiger gets variegated figs just not at any green leaf axil has been my experience.
    Martin

• budbackeast
    11 years ago

Oh yes. Here they are. Cool trees!
    TIGERS

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living