Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
catinaustin

Best figs for Austin, TX?

catinaustin
14 years ago

We're planting a community orchard in NE Austin and I'm gathering info on which fig varieties do REALLY well here. I prefer dark-skinned types, but we have room for 10-12 trees so an assortment of early, mid, and late would be terrific. The most important thing is that this first phase of the group orchard be VERY successful, so we need to start with just those we know do well here.

Please let me know your suggestions right away--we may have a source to get trees donated if I can tell them what we want!

Also, cuttings from locals would be welcome!

Comments (5)

• mountainman0826
    14 years ago

I live in Austin, Texas and have a large fig orchard. Almost any fig variety will do well in Austin, with the exception of the Smyrna and San Pedro categories, which require caprification (Smyrna and San Pedro are types of figs and not varieties). My top three choices for dark figs would be Mission (Black Mission, Francisciana), Blue Giant (from Fannick's Nursery in San Antonio), and Violet de Bordeaux (Vista Mission). Other excellent dark figs include Hardy Chicago and Sal's Fig. A great-tasting fig that doesn't quite fall into the dark or light category is Bourjasotte Grise. Another would be Celeste, which for taste and historical reasons would be a good choice for almost any community garden. My top choices for light figs would include Adriatic, Kadota, Hollier, Atreano, LSU Gold and Alma. Brunswick (Magnolia)should probably be included for historical reasons and aesthetics (beautiful leaves with long finger-like lobes). It is a great-tasting fig in a proper climate, but is ruined by excessive rain.

• paully22
    14 years ago

Thats excellent feedback from Mtman.

Mtman, of all the variants you mentioned, any chance you can help us fignuts(especially in colder Northern zones) to saviour which one(s) would come up tops in the following categories like:

a. Productivity in terms of volume
    b. Productivity in terms of young age
    c. Sweet Taste
    d. Flavour
    e. Reliability

For the past few days especially in the morning the wife & son would ask "any figs". Its really no kidding matter that fig withdrawals can happen. They were so spoilt with the earlier abundance we have. Even my son wants to buy me a green house as I am taking too slow to built one. I don't get to saviour my own grown figs like the way they do but I get to enjoy what others have done well. Guess its another form of fig addiction. Thanks.

Paully

• mountainman0826
    14 years ago

Hi, Paully,

It's not really fair for me to judge which figs are most productive, as most of my trees are not mature and at full production. The two mature varieties that I can vouch for as being extremely productive in Austin are Adriatic and Mission. My Adriatic tree routinely produces from 10-15 gallons of figs each year. This year, in a historic drought, it produced around 10 gallons. (The Adriatic tree is about 15 years old.) My two Mission trees, planted in 2002, began to come into full production this year, and produced about 10 gallons of figs between the two trees. (Mission, unless pruned heavily, may grow too large to be practical in a greenhouse environment.) I believe, judging by the number of figs on the young trees, that Kadota and Alma will be heavy producers. (Alma, a ficus carica/palmata cross, requires heavy pruning of the suckers for good productivity.) Kadota, Celeste, Hollier and Green Ischia have been good producers at an early age for me. My sweetest fig, hands down, is Kadota. Although a fine, well-flavored fig, it is not my favorite. Mission, when fully ripe, is very sweet. My flavor favorites will be familiar. First of all, it's hard for me to find a ripe fig I don't like! Celeste is arguably the best when only flavor is considered. Hollier comes close. (I understand that Celeste is its mother plant.) LSU Gold is another. Bourjasotte Grise is one of my favorites. Adriatic is one the best-flavored figs. Mission is one of the best flavored, but it must be fully ripe. Hardy Chicago and Sal's are among the top picks. Finally, of course, it's hard to beat Violet de Bordeaux. Adriatic, Celeste, Mission and Kadota are my most reliable producers.

Best Regards,

Joe

• espo8
    14 years ago

Hi Joe, I was given a small rooted cutting of your Adriatic 2 years ago by Keith of NJ. WOW! What a Great Tasting Fig.It is going in the ground next spring. Thanks for sharing!!! Thanks to Keith also.
    Stay Well,
    Anthony

• paully22
    14 years ago

Joe,

Thanks for the sweet info. Hollier is a great variant for me. Productive at a young age & the sweet taste with nice flavour. My Hollier is in pot culture for now, but definitly it will go in ground come spring. Thanks again for the useful feedback.

Paul