Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenia_gw

EBbay Listing from familiar seller

jenia
14 years ago

I have been a successful bidder for items listed on Ebay by 4 different Fig Forum members and have received beautiful plants in each case.

This morning, I noticed a listing for cuttings of Adriano varieties. "Pingo de Mel" was one of the varieties listed but it doesn't mention if it is #1 or #2. In addition, the seller mentioned that he/she had many more varieties available and to email for a list.

I took the bait, hook, line, and sinker, and emailed...then I looked at the seller ID, and it was vaguely familiar. I did a google search and, sure enough, found a whole Fig Forum thread on the seller in question. The posts were NOT flattering.

Moral or the story: If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Check out the seller BEFORE you bid.

C.J.

Comments (51)

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Tim,

Thanks for the heads up. There is no danger of me actually doing business with this individual. (Although there IS 1 bid on the listing for the cuttings. Definitely not mine.) After searching old forum threads, it was pretty clear who this person is and how he operates.

I believe that, in addition to his questionable Ebay listings, he has defaulted on a few trades for cuttings with other forum members.

It was also interesting to note that he is still probably a forum member under another name. Hopefully, he will eventually learn from the many positive role models on this forum and become a reputable fig source some day.

C.J.

• dieseler
    14 years ago

Yes i had same experience as above poster, i gave tree its proper burning last season .
    Many members on this and figs4fun forum have had similar problems.

• oxankle
    14 years ago

Zergas:
    Perhaps you had better explain that you too have an ebay listing for Pingo de Mel. Had you not posted here I might have thought that it was your ad we were discussing.
    Ox
    -------------------------------------------------

The ad I found:
    "up for bid are 6 fig cuttings total

2x Pingo De Mel
    2x Bagalhouce
    2x Italian 258

cuttings are 8" to 10" long and have at least 3 nodes but most will have more nodes.
    I will provide details instructions on how to successfully root them.

I have many more varieties available just email me.

thank you for looking"

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ox,

I think you misunderstood Tim's posting. I believe her is saying that the individual who has a listing on Ebay is Zergas, not that HE/Tim is Zergas.

On another note, what variants did forum members ship to this guy? Just nosy.

C.J.

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Ox, I AM NOT Zergas---I only got taken by him. No offense taken!

C.J. Thanks for straightening that out! I'm so gun shy about who I buy from now. I even have varieties, I could sell or trade, but they were from the local feedstores & nurseries and I want to be sure they are right before selling or trading and adding to fig confusion. I think most of us here and on F4F have enough integrity not to perpetuate the fraud. Zergas has had many opportunities to "come clean" but has chosen to remain silent. Too bad he hasn't "Had the right to remain silent" if you get my drift.
    Tim

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

I'm so proud of me, for once I wasn't confused

I am gonna make it Yet!

Thanks for the heads up Tim.

Cecil

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cecil, you are a HOOT!
    C.J.

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Wink,Wink ;-)

• Nelson E.
    14 years ago

lmao, Cecil you da man. Me personally I learned my lesson with buying cuttings on Ebay, best thing is be patient and trade or buy from reputable forum members theres quite a few.

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    14 years ago

Good day, I am the person who has the first bid for those fig cuttings. I forgot to research the name DOG-GONE-IT!!!...oh well I think this will be the last time I buy from ebay sellers. I'm pretty upset now. I've purchase lots fig trees from many people and some I know are on this site. I'm trying really hard not to think negative about those cuttings but its hard. I found a very reputable nursery last week with some rare fig trees; and their fig trees I got in the mail were HUGE and professionally wrapped and secure. I was so happy! I think I will stick with them from now on. They are a little pricey but I don't mind paying for something that I really want. I have a deep rooted passion for fig trees.

Deeply sad and trying to think positive about those cutting...Dennis/snaglpus /dee-jay-n-jackie is my name on eBay

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Snag,

There are GREAT Fig sellers on Ebay, don't judge all of them by what one POS does.

Cecil

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    14 years ago

Thanks Cecil. I will keep that in mind and be OVERLLY cautious the next time I bid on eBay for fig cuttings and trees.

starting to feel better, Dennis/snaglpus/dee-jay-n-jackie

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Snagl,

I've seen posts from some people on this forum with some pretty desirable stuff complaining that he defaulted on trades so...he has to have SOMETHING decent. What else has he done with the stuff he got from forum members? I suppose it is possible that he killed some of it, but all of it???

Seriously, Maybe it is time for those who have incontrovertible evidence that been defrauded to make a formal complaint with Ebay. If people step forward, that may be Snagl's way out of this. It is crazy that he does this and no one can touch him. Are ya listening, Zerg?

C.J.

• paully22
    14 years ago

I had a sweet email from Zergas pretending to be figlady08(Sue) wanting to trade last year. I was fooled into the trade with Figlady08 aka sodapopmum aka Zergas aka mrfig4fun. Trade we did and the suppose to be Sal's(Gene), Smith & Petite Negri have all turned out to be Brunswick. Even the 2 rooted cuttings of Calvert from Figlady08 don't look the same. Zergas told me he got his Ital 258 from an active & reputed member of this forum. A private email to this member(2009) did not confirm the source. Thus buy at your own risk.

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Hi Dennis, don't feel too bad, you can still be outbid. Maybe you'll get lucky! I spent probably $200 with this jerk. Like C.J. suggested, the sticks of each variety I got at least have like foliage, different for each variety. I don't see any Brunswick in the bunch, so I'm hopeful that there may be something good in the bunch. I've not met too many figs I didn't like! LOL
    Tim

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Snagl,

What nursery did you find? Would you be willing to share the info? Are they online? Do they ship?

(C.J. drooling on the keyboard again)

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Hey Dennis, you can always withdraw your bid, I think.

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

I don't understand why this person does not have any negative or even neutral ratings how does ebay do this. It's not fair to the honest sellers
    Sal

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Sal, you only get to leave feedback once and you don't know there is a problem until 1-2 years later. And that's if you know. Can you imagine the number of people that will be propagating their figs with the names they thought they bought, because they don't know any better. More fig confusion.
    Tim

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The grimly amusing part is that this individual is savvy enough to only offer variants that are not readily available in the country, so he/she KNOWS there will be takers. Cunning rascal.

C.J.

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

CJ,

It's a he! Daniel Goncalves (Alias Zergy)

• paully22
    14 years ago

Cecil, I mail my side of the cuttings to a "Susan Gonclaves".
    Doubling up as an opposite sex too!!!!! or dual personalities ??? Interesting.

• oxankle
    14 years ago

Ooops, Sorry about the confusion.
    OX

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Poor ole Snagl,

Dennis has done went and got outbid!

HEHE............WHEWWW.......I can see him now :))

Cecil

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Hey Cecil, don't you know he's glad???

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Tim,

I'll bet ole snagl is showing bof of them front toofies!

HAHA
    Cecil

• rafed
    14 years ago

The bad part about it is he has been called out by several forum members to state his case. And he hasn't.

I've called him out and to man up and state his case. And he hasn't.

If not all of us, Many of us have purchased fig trees or cutting and later on learned that they weren't what they were labeled and that's o.k..

I haven't purchased anything from him ( I'm bragging ).

Could he also have fallen victim?
    Nobody knows for sure accept Daniel himself.

Until that day comes and he comes forward then he Will be that lying, cheating, scamming false labeled fig dealer.

Just simply AVOID him like we do with TYTY.

And for those new members that fall prey to him would just have to suck-it-up and move on like the rest that have fallen in the past.

Concidering that both forums are open to anyone to read I am more than 100% sure that he sneaks a peak or two and sees what is being written about him and continues to practice his EVIL ways.
    There is no shame when you are not ashamed. He could be getting a kick out of this.

I've spoken with him awhile back a couple of time on the phone and he sounded like an older gentleman.

My question is if he has any grandkids does he put them on his lap on their birthdays or during Christmas and says guess what grandpa got you this year and hands them their gift knowing in the back of his head he ripped people off to get the money.

That's lower than dirt!

That's my 0.02 cents,

Rafed

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Okay, Cecil, I can't stand the suspense. How many bids were there and was was the top price? I wonder who the poor fool is.

C.J.

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

C.J.

The last time I looked, there were 3 bids on the junk, it was $16.00 Dollars I believe, I don't know if I would call the winning bidder a fool, Maybe "uninformed"

Cecil

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    14 years ago

Boy I'm just holding my gut laughing at the person who won those cutting! Anyway, it wasnt' me! I am just grinning from ear to ear! Dennis Â(¿Â)Â

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Ya bit the bullet on that one Dennis!

Too many good ebayers out there to be messing with the likes

of that Guy.

Cecil

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I had requested a list of his/her available cuttings. Here it is.

Dark Figs

Italian 258
    Sal's (El,BC)
    Blue Giant
    Calvert
    Negronne
    santa cruz dark

violetta de Bordeux
    Mission
    Hardy Chicago
    Col De Dama dark
    Igo
    Capelas
    Black Madeira
    Abeberreira
    dark portuguese
    Aldo
    Blue Celeste
    Gino's
    Alma
    lsu pruple
    Dauphine
    Barnisote Grise
    black marsailles
    St Jean
    153-17

white figs

marabout
    santa cruz white
    Giant Celeste
    white marseilles
    lsu improved celeste
    Peters honey
    Pingo De Mel
    Desert King
    brooklyn white
    Brunswick
    Col De Dama white
    Tena
    Bagalhouce
    Italian everbearing
    Aked
    Excell
    Golden Celeste
    Gillete
    143-36
    220-20
    Celeste
    lsu everbearing
    lsu gold
    Dalmatie
    371-1
    smith

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

I would not buy anything from this guy!

One member on this forum bought a Blk. Madeira

His turned out to be as big a fake as this Guy is!

Cecil

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    14 years ago

Yes, I totally agree! Listen to Cecil, Martin and others from this site. If you're not sure about a seller on eBay, ask growers on this site. I had forgotten about this guy until I checked this site. I wish there was more we could do about this guy but all we can do at this point is communicate and spread the word to other fig growers. Be blessed, Dennis

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cecil and Dennis, don't worry I'm not about to buy anything from this person. I was just wondering if anyone on the list recognized their own stuff among his fig list. I recall that one or 2 members complained that he set up trades but never fulfilled his end.

C.J.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Next time he emails me for a trade, I will send him some caprifig cuttings and junk whatever he sends me.

Dan

• massidea
    14 years ago

I sent him Blue Celeste, Lampeira, Bourjassotte Grise and Osborne Prolific cuttings in Jan 2009. He sent me black madeira and I 258 which were nicely packaged. The cuttings all rooted very easily. Since finding out who I was dealng with, I have looked at my cuttings with suspicion. Some of the cuttings of 1 variety seem to look like the ones of the other variety...Hmmm!

• Dennis AKA Snaglpus
    14 years ago

Keep your fingers crossed! I hope you get what you're expecting. Dennis

• gardencarp
    13 years ago

He's still at it!

Hello.I'm new to this site and I hate to resurrect an old thread,but it just clued me into the fact that I was about to make a BIG MISTAKE.I bid and won a 1 1/2 yr "Hative de Argentueil" tree from mifig4fun.Then while lurking on this forum I found this thread.Thank goodness I did.I was also thinking about a "Sultane" he offered me on a "second chance".

So I sent him a message though ebay that I found (through this site) that his plants for sale were very suspect and I requested that he cancel the transaction because I would be simply returning the plant.

I found in his ebay profile that in the past few weeks he has sold several fig plants."Pingo de Mel","Blk Madeira","Sao Joao Preto".

The Hative de Argentueil sounded interesting.I'll just have to keep a lookout for it,from a reputable seller this time.

I've gotten two fig plants from ebay.A Celeste that I proceeded to lose the paper work for,but it came from a state licensed nursery.It is a common type,so it should be OK.The other is a Grise de St Jean from Trees of Joy,who is also a state licensed nursery,so it should be OK too.

I want to say thanks to jenia and everyone that posted on this thread.You've saved me from making a...well,two big mistakes(costly ones too).I've got some plants to tend to(and a demanding cat).

So thanks again. gardencarp

• dieseler
    13 years ago

I have bought from well known honest ebayer and forum member in past a fig tree, sold a few things as well.
    Since retirement i hope to offset my pleasure of fig trees and hope any bad apples does not discourage some.
    Do your homework (gosh i hated school) and look at members pictures of there plants and any questions never be afraid to ask around. ; )
    Martin
    (Dieseler6z92)

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Y'all,

Is there a list of the honorable people to get fig cuttings from on eBay? If so, I'd sure like to see it so I don't make a huge mistake.

I trust Herman with no misgivings. Who else sells cuttings on eBay, please? If you would rather, you can send me a private email to let me know.

Thanks,

noss

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

If forum members has rooted Fig trees and they are 75 miles from me I will be happy to visit them, buy and pick the trees.
    I made it a rule for me after I learned my lesson of wasted time and money not to buy BEAR FOOT trees any more. One Forum member mentioned that they have a Farm in Chantilly Va, I found that it is 71 from me. I jumped in my car and went for a visit. They have good looking Farm with Hundreds of Fig trees but unfortunately they were out of young trees for sale. The Trip was not wasted I bought several pounds of delicious fresh Figs. I am in Annapolis MD, any member who has an orchard within 75 miles from me and has young Fig trees for sale please let me know.

• jazzbass1
    13 years ago

I must say that I too had been fooled by him (Zergas).I even recommended him to a few people. To those people, PLEASE forgive me. I thought that his items were legit. Until I grew them out. Nothing was what it was suppose to be. Stay far away from him. If you notice, most of his offering don't last the complete time on Ebay. He pulls them off early if he can't get a early nibble.

There are far too many honorable people on this site, and the other site that you can purchase from. Most of them are on this post.

• scott_ga
    13 years ago

Trees of Joy and Figs 4 Fun are two websites where unusual varieties are available and true to name.

Scott

• paully22
    12 years ago

Bump. Buyers beware at ebay -- fig cuttings

• Ann
    12 years ago

Hello,

So I have terrible spring fever and I want more figs! Does anyone have the Ebay ID's of reliable sellers?

Thank you!

Ann

• boizeau
    12 years ago

There is a plant exchange forum right here at Garden Web. why not post a fig cutting request here? eBay is not the only place to shop.

• evladi7654
    11 years ago

Hi everybody ! With more than 1000 varieies of the Fig trees all over the world and their identical names for different varieties in different countries and parts of the world, I would be so picky to this guy.....You can buy an ''unknown '' variety even from the 'legitimate'' source..And ,by the way' all Figs are sooo delicious!!!even unnamed... I sell Itallian ,Russian, Portuguese varieties and don.t give them any names because they may be varieties which have different names here... But they all are soo sweet and beautiful, and noone from that Countries ever complaint on their taste !!

• scott_ga
    11 years ago

You can be sure of these three..

Pitandiego (the gold standard)
    Hermansur (Raises figs in New Jersey and has a lot of fig knowledge)
    TreesofJoy (Has a fig nursery in Pennsylvania)

There are many more good fig tree sellers on ebay, just try to check out if their figs are true to type and if they are members of the fig forums-- here and figs for fun

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post/GOOD-Personal-exp-with-Ebay-seller.-6115446?highlight=ebay

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

Cutting cutting cutting cutting never has any luck with cuttings.