Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniebomm

End of Season Report

anniebomm
13 years ago

This year, I didn't add any new figs to my little collection of nine plants, but watched the ones I already have grow. Most of what I have I grew from cuttings last year, so none of them are really mature, except for a few I received as larger plants.

The only one I got ripe figs off of was the VdB. The figs were very good, and everyone who tried the fruit was very impressed!

All of the smallest plants are coming into the house for the winter, to go under lights in the basement. Some of the plants will go into my attached garage. I may try to keep a few outside, maybe one buried in a trench, and another wrapped up very well.

Following the advice on this forum, I sent a big, long, greedy list to UC Davis (just to be sure they sent me anything at all, right?) and got confirmation yesterday. I am already dreaming of spring.

A number of the plants have figs on them that are going to fall off, just as the leaves are doing now. The only actual contender for more ripe figs would be the VdB, (which is up against the house in the most protected and sunniest spot I have)--which has at least a dozen not-quite ripe figs. I know that they aren't going to make it to ripeness, but I keep checking every day anyway.

All in all, I consider this to be a successful growing year. I didn't lose any plants, and all of them are MUCH larger than they were when I put them outside in the spring!

-Ann

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company