Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cazimere_gw

OC figs

cazimere
13 years ago

Of all the figs i have, including Sals,Kathleen Black,HC,LSU Gold,Marseilles Vs Black, Ronde de bordeaux,and a few others,

Violette Du Bordeaux has been by far the sweeter and better tasting fig.

I found several figs growing in Ocean city the other day. The owner told me he brought cuttings from Italy many years ago. He gave me (his favorite) a large green fig to taste. It was as sweet, if not sweeter than my Violette Du Bordeaux and twice as big! He also gave me a couple cuttings : )

{{gwi:827731}}

{{gwi:827732}}

Comments (8)

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Cazimere:You are posting a leaf that is entire and the trees in the first pix have lobes,(up to five),but can't see the details very well.
    My opinion is that the leaf you presented is not representative of the Ocean city cultivar if the top pix is showing the fig trees in OC?
    It is very important to show the most representative,leaf that represent the majority of foliage on the said tree in order to attempt an id,of the cultivar!

• cazimere
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Herman, There are six trees in the picture. The tree to the far left is the tree i got cuttings from. Heres another pic showing more of the leaves i took off the 2 cuttings.
    I wasn't looking for an id (no offense) as i don't put a lot of stock in being able to definitively id a variety of fig from all the known varieties with just pictures of a few leafs and figs. But your certainly welcome to give an opinion if you like : )

{{gwi:827733}}

• giants_2007
    13 years ago

Nice find sure is a nice looking fig

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Cazimere:Much Better:Sorry:I was the one that was interested to make an ID.
    Because any time I hear that a fig was ,as sweet if not sweeter ,compared to Violette de Bordeaux,I jump right up and become interested.
    Why:Because there are so many cultivars in the trade that are much less sweet and flavorfull than Violette de Bordeaux,and I too have some of those.
    So,as my space is limited,I immediatelly seen something to replace some of my trees.
    For Now,what you have is something similar to eather:
    First choice :Adriatic Jh,or
    One of Paradiso,White or Bronze.
    When you grow your plant,ask me to compare again,new pixes,to make a definite ID.

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Caz,
    im not familar with Ocean City, what state is that in as i was wondering if those trees get covered come winter time.
    You know Caz what caught my eye was the trees locatoin in lot . Here near Chicago my neighbor has some bushes next to driveway and in winter of course he warms up his van and each season there is one of 5 bushes that gets damage from the exhaust as it always goes on that particular bush.
    Thats why i guess i noticed those plants where there sitting if most folks would back in the spots there but i guess they just pull in !
    Thanks for sharing the pictures and good luck with your cuttings.
    Best Health
    Martin

• Ann
    13 years ago

Hi Cazimere,

I live in Maryland too (Martin, OC is in MD) and your post makes me want to drive to OC soon!! Would you consider sharing the location? : ) I would love to try a cutting of that tree! I don't have much more room, but that sounds like a tree to make room for....

Ann

• herman2_gw
    13 years ago

Hi Cazimere:It is me again:I forgotten to mention ,that if you compare your trees grown in pot,or in ground but very young(juvenile,under 7 yrs old),then the comparison is not fair,to the above old trees.
    That is why the old green fig was as sweet as your Violette.
    Comparison of quality and taste is fair only when plants are grown side by side,the same sun exposure,same soil and the same age trees.
    H2

• cazimere
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Where is it written that i must be fair to my figs ? : )