Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
recoil_rob

Pinching off new fruit buds before winterizing

recoil_rob
12 years ago

My fruits did not get to mature this year here in NY, eventually they will fall off.

I have seen the beginnings of an early crop for next year already, tiny fruit nubs beginning to form. Would it be best to pinch them off before winterizing or wait until spring?

thanks, Rob

Comments (5)

• Andrew Scott
    12 years ago

HEy Rob,
    I actually came here with the same question. I was given an 'Atreano' fig tree this year from my new fig buddy Evette. It did produce 1 fig that I am going to let mature. Right now it is about half the size of a golf ball but then there are about 7 or 8 breba figs that have formed.

I asked Eve what she thought about the little brebas and she told me that she has never had any brebas that were worth growing.

She also told me that the 'Atreano' she gave me came from her large older tree so the fruits should be pretty good.

I am having a hard time deciding if I want to keep any of the breba fig crop. If I allow them to grow and mature, that will take away from the main crop next year.

This is my first year with my fig trees. Eve started me out with 3 or 4 and she told me that if they did well for me she would give me more. I traded a sugar apple seedling for the 1st fig trees she gave me. I then gave her a piece off of my 'Basjoo' banana tree for a few more. Now I am up to 8 fig trees and she told me the last time she came down that she had a large VDB fig tree for me so that will make 9!!

I am only really wanting 1 more variety....the Ronde de Bordeaux. I am hoping that I will get it here this coming spring.

Hopefully both of us will figure out what to do with our fig trees.

Good luck!

Andrew

• nypd5229
    12 years ago

You are better off not touching a thing. You may not be able to differ between the main crop that had a late growth spurt and breba for next year.

The whole tree will go into hibernation. Basically no harm leaving. Next year in March or April, as the tree comes out of hibernation and back to life, you can decide what is what. Some don't even worry about next years breba crop unless like Firone di Ruvo or Desert King are Breba only.

Some people will cut down the tree for cuttings and to make easier for storage, only concentrating on growing main crop, which is usually far superior to first crop.

It is usually up to the individual grower and their taste buds.

• recoil_rob
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, that's what I'll probably do, cut it down for cuttings.

• herbue43
    12 years ago

can someone tell me what you mean by breba.

thanks

frank

• gorgi
    12 years ago

"Breba" is the fig fruit on LAST year (mature) wood
    (sometimes also known as the first-crop).

"Main crop" is the fig fruit on the current/green/THIS year twig growth
    (sometimes also known as the second-crop).

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider