Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinching off new fruit buds before winterizing

Posted by recoil_rob 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 9, 11 at 10:04

My fruits did not get to mature this year here in NY, eventually they will fall off.

I have seen the beginnings of an early crop for next year already, tiny fruit nubs beginning to form. Would it be best to pinch them off before winterizing or wait until spring?

thanks, Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinching off new fruit buds before winterizing

HEy Rob,
I actually came here with the same question. I was given an 'Atreano' fig tree this year from my new fig buddy Evette. It did produce 1 fig that I am going to let mature. Right now it is about half the size of a golf ball but then there are about 7 or 8 breba figs that have formed.

I asked Eve what she thought about the little brebas and she told me that she has never had any brebas that were worth growing.

She also told me that the 'Atreano' she gave me came from her large older tree so the fruits should be pretty good.

I am having a hard time deciding if I want to keep any of the breba fig crop. If I allow them to grow and mature, that will take away from the main crop next year.

This is my first year with my fig trees. Eve started me out with 3 or 4 and she told me that if they did well for me she would give me more. I traded a sugar apple seedling for the 1st fig trees she gave me. I then gave her a piece off of my 'Basjoo' banana tree for a few more. Now I am up to 8 fig trees and she told me the last time she came down that she had a large VDB fig tree for me so that will make 9!!

I am only really wanting 1 more variety....the Ronde de Bordeaux. I am hoping that I will get it here this coming spring.

Hopefully both of us will figure out what to do with our fig trees.

Good luck!

Andrew

o

You are better off not touching a thing. You may not be able to differ between the main crop that had a late growth spurt and breba for next year.

The whole tree will go into hibernation. Basically no harm leaving. Next year in March or April, as the tree comes out of hibernation and back to life, you can decide what is what. Some don't even worry about next years breba crop unless like Firone di Ruvo or Desert King are Breba only.

Some people will cut down the tree for cuttings and to make easier for storage, only concentrating on growing main crop, which is usually far superior to first crop.

It is usually up to the individual grower and their taste buds.

o

Thanks, that's what I'll probably do, cut it down for cuttings.

o

can someone tell me what you mean by breba.

thanks

frank

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b_NJ (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 16:14

"Breba" is the fig fruit on LAST year (mature) wood
(sometimes also known as the first-crop).

"Main crop" is the fig fruit on the current/green/THIS year twig growth
(sometimes also known as the second-crop).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here