Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenia_gw

Danny's Delight

jenia
14 years ago

Does anyone have experience with this variant? The info on Figs4fun says it has been known to survive temperatures to -5 Fahrenheit. Now that's MY king of fig. I just wonder what it tastes like and when it ripens.

I would greatly appreciate any information that anyone is willing to share.

Thanks.

C.J.

Comments (14)

• wildforager
    14 years ago

I know someone growing this fig in ground in far northern Wisconsin. He has told me that he's never gotten a fig off of this tree and it dies back to the ground every year. Needless to say he has a small plant or bush. I plan on getting cuttings from him this winter to see how well it will produce in my area.

-Little John

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow. Wisconsin is a lot colder than -5 Fahrenheit. I am amazed that it survived at all. That bodes well for you and I in zone 5b. I ordered a plant form Encanto. Even in my area, I will probably have to mulch it to kingdom come if/when I put it in the ground. We hit -11 this past winter.

It will be interesting to compare notes with you in a couple of year. In the meantime, do you have any idea what it tastes like?

C.J.

• ejp3
    14 years ago

I gave one 3 years and it gave me no fruit. I wish I had the patience of another member who says he gives his figs 8 years.

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ejp3,

From whom did you get yours? How large was it when you got it and how large was it when you ditched it? Do you know of anyone who HAS gotten fruit from it?

C.J.

• jenia
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Cecil. That was my first stop. What I would really like is some "hands on" accounts from people who have grown it like ejp3. And I would REALLY like to know if it tastes like something other than cardboard. I think I saw a post by Herman2 dealing with Florea which is also supposedly superhardy...but tastes like cardboard in his tests.

C.J.

• rusty_blackhaw
    13 years ago

Any updates from forum fig growers on this variety?

I've had my two plants in-ground for three years now. They overwintered nicely and got to seven feet this past summer - but no fruit yet.

Anyone had success with it so far?

• robert_2007
    13 years ago

From what I have read Danny's Delight is one of those figs that has caused mass confusion. Some people say it does not bear very well. But, the cutting I rooted April of this year, 2010 started bearing in it's first pot, three fruit. Then managed to ripen one fig in late October. Because it ripened so late and because it was only six months old when it ripened it's first fruit, it was edible. Our clone appears to be a heavy and early bearing fig.

There also appears to be a green Danny's Delight and a Brown skin Danny's Delight.

We planted our rooted cutting into the ground this last October and we are looking forward to seeing how it will perform. So far it looks like it might be a winner for up north.

I would suggest if one wanted to get a good version of Danny's Delight, One should try asking for it on figs 4 fun.

Ours will not be ready to take cuttings for at least another 3 years.

Bob

• vern_2006
    13 years ago

I bought my Danny's Delight from Logee's Nursery in the summer of 2007. It is a dark variety of DD. It has produced fruit since the summer of 2008. I have been very happy with the taste and production of this fruit.

Vern

• fignut
    13 years ago

When a variety has "strains" that are radically different in looks or behavior, the possibility that someone made a mistake is likely. Fig cuttings are easy to mix up, even when great care is taken.

• rredbbeard
    6 years ago

Any updates of this thread?

Rusty_Blackhaw, when your fig gets to 7', how much top growth did it have to start with after any winter protection was removed?

Thanks,

Rick in CT

• robert_2007
    6 years ago

We, have had ours in ground now, since 2009,

If I remember right, ours started putting out fruit right away.

In my opinion, this fig has a true connoisseur fig taste. To me, it's taste profile, is berry, and it reminds me of maybe a combination of mulberry, and pommigrande, mixed together.

It is also a very heavy bearing fig. By the time our plant had been in ground for 5 years, it was producing around 200 figs per plant. It is our heaviest bearing small to medium size fig. In my opinion it is definitely a connoisseur's fig.

When we decided to cold test it, by not covering it for the winter, we got hit with a Polar Vortex, two years in a row. The top was killed back to the ground. So, for any one attempting to grow this fig in Wisconsin, you will have to bend it to the ground, and cover it.

For anyone attempting to grow figs in Wisconsin, you will have to select not only cold hardy figs, but figs that can ripen early, also. Also, I would think you would also have to cover the figs, and or grow them in a tunnel. We have sold fig plants to people who have grown them in tunnels, as far as Maine.

If I were to try and grow figs in Wisconsin, I would investigate Hanc's English Brown, Sodus, LaRadek's English Brown Turkey, Brooklyn White, and Colisanti. I also would not attempt the tunnel growing, I would use a pit house green house, instead, combined with using the Japanese Step over system.

Although, I'm two to three years behind on a updated list of figs we have been experimenting with, in our cold, zone 5b/6a, in Connecticut, I can send it to any one, who would like to see it.

If you would like to see it, email me directly, at robertcharper@gmail.com, and I will send it to you. I'm unable to figure out how to send the list any other way. Because of the pictures, it's a pretty big list.

Bob Harper @ T. Pine

• rredbbeard
    6 years ago

Sending you email now.

Thanks!

• fignut
    6 years ago

I'd like to add Florea to the list of hardy figs to try. I had a young plant go down to -3 unprotected with no dieback at all - and I think that an older plant would show more cold resistance. And while Herman did originally cull Florea, if I recall, he brought it back in, and changed his growing protocol - giving it less fertilizer and water. It is a terrific fig - early, prolific - and has a pleasant figgy taste. It does tend to be "seedy" while young, but that tends to decrease as it ages - and some people like "seedy" figs for the added texture. Occasionally a Florea fig will have a delicious overtone - some say cinnamon, others vanilla - that put it right up there with the best of figs. If I knew what causes that taste change, I'd be treating all my Floreas!