Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frozenjoe

Safe Weed Killer To Use

frozenjoe
13 years ago

I have a problem with Bermuda Grass growing around the base of my fig trees. The grass loves the irrigated soil and is very tough and hard to pull out. When I pull it only the top breaks off but the roots stay in and send up new growth.

Does anyone know of a weed killer that would be effective at killing the Bermuda Grass around the base of my trees but that would not harm my fig trees in anyway at all?

Thanks for any feedback.

Joe

Comments (8)

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi Joe,

I'm so glad you asked this question. I would like to know, as well.

I have my fig tree mulched beneath it and the Bermuda grass keeps trying to grow up into the mulch and I keep pulling it out. You're right, it is tough to get rid of and I hate the stuff. I've had it climb up and into pots!

They never told us they were selling us weeds masquerading as grass. We been ROBBED!

noss

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

I use a spray called season Long but stay away from the tree and don't spray too much. When I sprayed on the vegetable bed before I put the seed the seed never got up. even I waited three days as the label said.

• genecolin
    13 years ago

Living in the hot and humid South does have it's problem with grass or weeds. I have two in ground trees that I use Roundup under with no bad effects. Just don't hit the leaves. If you have young trees in pots, move them completely away from the area that you are spraying and put them back after you're finished, right Tim, LOL. Now there are other weed killers that attack through the ground to the roots, don't use those.
    "gene"

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Many types of grasses send runners under soil killing the ones near fig trees is ok for a while but if grass close by they eventually will come back. One can painstakinly dig them out and see how far those roots actually go but again new runners eventually come into the area.
    On another note dandelions will never go away the seeds can fly good distances and stay sterile in soil for up to 6 seasons so if anyone in neighborhood has them you will to until there killed then next season the process starts all over .
    Martin

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Season Long Spray kills at the root that is why I spray good 2 feet away from trees. It is very effective against grass and weed. I use the trimmer to trim the grass near the trees. I trim it very short destroying parts of the roots but it comes back after a while. Nothing is easy.

• fatnsassytexan
    13 years ago

I use roundup, but no longer spray it. Pour it in a 3# plastic coffee can(has a handle) and paint it on directly with a 4 " paint brush. Works like a charm. Don't reuse the can or brush for anything else. You will have to repeat the application eventually if you have bermuda.I hate the stuff too, Vivian. Tim

• georgiafig
    13 years ago

Hi everyone. I have found that the only conditions this wire-grass won't grow in aggresively (it would try to grow on the Moon if given the chance) is full shade, so I mulch very heavy, and regularly pull the runners that still come as I water. We never use any chemicals, so we accept that some weeds are going to happen. Once the fig tree spreads out to a nice bush it also helps to shade itself at its base and reduce weeds naturally. I've had far more trouble with weeds around the blueberries, because they don't naturally shade their base much, so we use land scape fabric and then heavy mulch (pine bark and pine needles) at the base of the blueberries.

Best wishes to all.

John
    North Georgia Piedmont

• frozenjoe
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Joe