Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christyfiglover

What is the best way to 'label' fig trees in the field?

christyfiglover
17 years ago

I know this probably sounds silly to those of you who can take one look at a tree and tell what it is and believe me, I'm trying to learn what I can... but when I plant my trees this Spring, I need a solid secure way of identifying the different cultivars while I'm out there.

What do you use to label in the field?

Thanks and take care,

Christy

Comments (12)

• jonathan
    17 years ago

Some people tell me that they make their own label strips out of those frozen concentrate cans after they make juice, and use a permanant marker to write on it. If you can laminate some plastic somehow over your writing, it might help prevent the marking from dullying over time.

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

Draw a map. Nothing I have is labeled, but everything is identified on a map. All labels get lost, fade, etc.

• gorgi
    17 years ago

Christy, good topic, something that also has been a
    concern to me for quite a while...

Jon, excellent answer for all the (permanent) in-grounds...
    I did something like that for my first 9 tree row, just
    made sure to put the map is a safe/easy-to-remember place
    and a good reference point (#1 was east in my case).

But what about the potted figs that have the tendency
    to roam about - and are the majority in my case now?

I, so far have used vinyl 5" (7" is probably better)
    tree tags with a supposedly a permanent black marker,
    very easily readably at first, but tends to fade away
    after 2-4 years (now I hear that there are
    more expensive 'ALL-WEATHER MARKER' markers?).
    http://www.dpind.com/Tree_Tags_s/8.htm

Also, I am trying copper tags that the writing is
    supposed to be permanently embossed in, but alas,
    I can only read at a very close range.
    http://www.nationalband.com/nbtplant.htm#2742

Sooo, my ears are wide open too...

George (NJ).

• gorgi
    17 years ago

I had dreams of me designing some solar powered gismo
    that, on a remote broadcast command would say (on a bright
    LED display), (hey there, I am a good) ALMA, or (no, look at
    me! I am a the real) ZIDI......

On the real world, something called RfId is coming
    in your neighborhood supermarket soon. Something to do
    with taking a quick inventory of what is left on the shelves
    (and needs to be re-stocked).

• gorgi
    17 years ago

I have used some weather proof clear tape to cover the
    markings on the vinyl tags mainly for winter buried figs.
    Such markings survived that winter. Wonder if one can do
    something similar to protect the ink from the sunlight UV
    that makes it fade. I always write on both sides of
    a label, the more shady side survives best.
    The all-weather markers mentioned before, do tout
    about being UV protected, need to try one too...

• figfarmer
    17 years ago

I have a huge amount of "Mystery Figs" growing due to using "Permanent' marker pens on vinyl. After a few months in the California sun, they all fade and you now have "mystery figs' all over the place. I now use a different method. I use a color code system for each fig variety. I use Krylon paint (spray cans) on 1" vinyl blind material. Vinyl blinds are UV stabilized. Cut the blinds about one foot long. I use red for this variety, black for that variety, blue for that variety and so on. Spray the whole length on both sides to ensure success. Then just put the color code on paper, then on computer, and then give a copy to your Mom for safe keeping. Stick the vinyl tag DEEP into the pot. The part under the soil definitely won't fade. Works like a charm. PS 1" vinyl mini blinds (36" wide and 64" long) are $3.98 at home depot. You get hundreds of UV stabilized vinyl tags for a few bucks. FF

• figfarmer
    17 years ago

Regarding large trees, I would get a piece of aluminum (maybe cut up a soda can) and sPray paint it a certain color. Then hang it on a limb with a piece of copper wire. I quess the top to a large can (tomatoes, fruit coctail, etc) painted on both sides would last a long time if you don't live on the coast in a salty environment. FF

• pitangadiego
    17 years ago

There are other ideas, but all get quite expensive. A friend has all his palms IDed with a rock which has the name laser cut into it. I keep wanting to sneak over and rearrange the rocks.
    For pots, I use the 8" vinyl stakes, and a Sharpie pen, and just rewrite on them from time to time as they start to fade. Usually they get planted before it is an issue.

• vern_2006
    17 years ago

I have several daylilies. I bought metal markers from a company on line.
    Then went to Staples and bought a label machine. The first machine was a cheap one, about $30.00. The labels it made were not laminated and over a short period of time they faded. I went back to Staple and bought a more expensive one that made laminated labels. It has worked well. I label everything I plant in my yard, because I can't remember the names. If you do not have anything but a few plants in your yard this system would be expensive.

If you leave your plants in place for a long period of time a map works great. If you move things around alot in your garden you can go nuts making new maps.

Vern

• gorgi
    17 years ago

One more thing somewhat related to this subject.

(a)
    If you receive multiple (nicely ID'd) fig cuttings, e.g.,
    from UCD, first thing to do is write (use a Sharpe marker)
    the name on the TWIG itself (1st 3 letters - or initials-
    may be just enough - this saved me from having some unknowns
    - that I had forgotten to tag...
    (b)
    If you send cuttings/plants, make sure that the tag is VERY
    well secured! Yes, USPS does do some shaking, etc., and
    they may come loose. Had a recent experience where
    2 (out of 6) labels (SSE) got loose. Only one of these
    2 made it. This means that I now have a very healthy young
    fig tree that I do not know if is fig(x) or fig(y).
    Recently send a pic to the source to id it from the two
    possibilities - no response! Luckily the descriptions
    mention a very different ripe skin color. Guess that I
    now have to wait till it fruits to know for sure, which
    one of the two it actually is...
    George (NJ).

• christyfiglover
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Right now I have 18 different figs with 4 more arriving today. So far, I have used cut-up plastic Nancy's yogurt lids with names written with a black Sharpie. I attach them to the lip of the pots with 14-gauge aluminum wire which I had purchased to contain (via a hot-wire) my precocious donkey and his friend- an old red sorrel mare.
    Thank you for all your ideas... I will probably end up labeling in the field as best I can with a VERY good map backup.
    I love the laser-cut stone idea but I run a playcare and the children would have a blast rearranging them; let alone the incurred expence of having them made!
    Thanks again-
    Christy

• bjs496
    17 years ago

my experience...

Last year, I tried wrapping a business card (other thick card stock will work as well) with metal duct tape. I was able to write on both sides of the card with a ball point pen and the card prevented the impression on one side from coming through to the other. I extended the tape about 3/4" from the card on one side and about 1/4" on the others. I was able to punch a hole through the tape on the long side and run string through it. I did not attach it to the plant this year, rather, I laid it on top of the mix in the pot. The print is still visible on both sides and it does not show any evidence of coming apart. These are a bit more time consuming than I would like.

This year, I cut plastic (opaque) milk containers into strips and wrote on them with a Sharpie. They have faded, and I do not think they will last another season. Also, I've had more than a few dug up by the squirrels.

Next season, I was going to try sending Avery Laser Business Cards (#5371) through the printer, separate, then laminate them. I have information about my trees in a database and created a print format to fit on the cards. I called Kinkos, they charge less than $3.00 per sheet, and by my calculations, I can probably fit 8 cards per sheet. Also, Harbor Freight tools has advertised an inexpensive laminator in the past.

For those of you who are growing in plastic pots, you could write the information you want on the side of the pot with a Sharpie or a grease pencil.

Also, there are dog tag machines in Walmart (probably in the pet stores) as well as online. These carry three lines of information and would probably be the most permanent in terms of retaining its original properties. The machines in Walmart charge $5, and if I remember correctly, there are some online sources that allow you to upload the information via a word processor and are about $2.5

Like George, I also write the cultivar name (and other info) on cuttings with a sharpie (now that I'm thinking about it, I may have gotten the idea from George). It is also good practice to write the same info on a tree before repotting/transplanting. Just remember that if you later find out your X variety turns out to be a Y, you want to be able to change the label easily.

I also have a map of the trees in my backyard I created on the computer. When I move the pots around, I update the map. Since I am traveling a lot, it helps to have a map to write instructions on for whoever is caring for my trees while I am gone. Also, if there is a problem, I can tell which tree they are talking about.

~james

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor