Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hairmetal4ever

F. benjamina question - holy root system!

hairmetal4ever
13 years ago

I have a 6' tall Ficus benjamina that lives indoors in winter but summers outside. I started it in 2004 from a cutting with just 3 leaves on it, it's now over 6' tall, single-stemmed, with a lower trunk diameter of around 2.5". It's in a 16" pot, I repotted it from a 12" this spring. When I repotted it, it was very rootbound, so I sliced a few roots (as I've always done) before potting up to encourage new root growth. It looked rather sickly (and nearly bare) when I repotted and put it outside last April, and has grown a good foot and looks very lush now.

When I went out today to bring the tree in for winter, I found that roots had grown out all 4 of the drainage holes into the ground beneath, and the roots were half an inch thick and extended over SEVEN FEET outward from there - is that normal? I'm afraid to even see what the roots in the pot look like and concerned that cutting them to move the pot inside might hurt the plant.

Anyone else experience this and is there a better way to care for this plant?

Comments (5)

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I grow in pots and I have had this happen. The affect that cutting the roots on them has had has varied from tree to tree. Some show very little sign of distress. Others have to be babied and put in the shade to survive. The biggest change is in the watering schedule.

My best advice is to watch for signs of distress and give them a little water when the leaves start drooping.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

The best way to care for your plant is a regular (full) repotting every 2-3 years, which includes bare-rooting, root pruning, and a complete change of soil to one that is durable, well-aerated, and free-draining. Beyond that, you're charged with getting the light as right as you can, making sure all the nutrients the plant uses are in the soil in a favorable ratio, keeping it warm enough in the winter, and keeping it in an o/a condition that ensures it's healthy enough so disease and insects can't get beyond it's natural defenses.

Let me know if you want pictures of a full repot on a F benjamina.

With the roots being as large as you described, a rather large fraction of the plants very important roots will have been attached to those you severed. It's also likely most of the roots in the container were pressed into service as conductive roots, rather than roots that absorb water and the nutrients dissolved in water, so your tree probably took a pretty big hit. How quickly it recovers depends in large part on how conducive to new root growth the conditions in the rhizosphere (root/soil mass) are. You can control that, in part, by your watering habits and by making sure soluble salts don't accumulate, but root congestion will also play a significant role.

Al

• thisisme
    13 years ago

hairmetal4ever in the future there are two options. Some people plant their pots in the ground in the Spring and dig them up in the Fall. However if you don't want the roots going into the ground next year you should put the pot on a paver or elevate it with something to keep it off the soil.

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

The practice of partially burying the pot is much more common and practical where temperate plants are concerned, and not so common with tropicals like Ficus b. It is much less traumatic for the plant if you sever a large fraction of the feeder roots when it's dormant or quiescent (temperate), compared to when the plant is to continue growth and is about to face the most difficult period of the growth cycle (tropical).

Al

• thisisme
    13 years ago

I totally agree Al. If you cut the roots from a pot planted in the ground during summer it can be traumatic. I did so five times this summer as I was moving trees to more permanent locations. Some handled it well and others really had to be babied. After doing five I decided to wait for cooler weather. I can't wait for them to go dormant here; some never do. Last year about a third of my trees lost their leaves for two weeks. The others stayed in full leaf right through our winter such as it is.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is what an average December looks like here.

Sponsored
Schlabach Woodworks
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars16 Reviews
Franklin County's Reclaimed Wood Professionals