Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
genecolin

Up potting

genecolin
13 years ago

Is it a good idea to up pot a tree from a 1 gallon to a 3 gallon at this time of year or will that trigger new growth which could harm the tree if we have a freeze. Freezes don't happen often down here in zone 9 and it's usually near Christmas when we do. I have several that should have been moved up but I just had my hands full. Perhaps in the spring would be better.

"gene"

Comments (2)

• tapla (mid-Michigan, USDA z5b-6a)
    13 years ago

The only drawback to potting up in the fall is the fact that transpirational rates are slowed considerable, so the danger of the plant being over-potted/over-watered increases. That statement should be qualified further by addressing the physical properties of the soil. The danger of over-potting decreases as soil porosity increases. IOW, if you're using a peat-based heavier soil, you need to be extra careful about watering until the roots have colonized the entire container.

For best growth, potting up should occur before the root/soil mass reaches the stage where roots and soil can be lifted from the container intact. Many studies show that trees left in containers beyond this point w/o potting up will exhibit a negative and permanent impairment of growth and longevity .... even if the tree is planted out at a later date. So, you can pot a tree up indefinitely with little in the way of negative effects IF you pot up before the point described, but if you allow the tree to get beyond that point, growth and vitality will be permanently affected unless corrective (root work) measures are taken.

A good rule of thumb is: You can pot up anytime and across all zones, but you should be cognizant of the over-potting issue I mentioned. If you live in a part of the country where roots will not be exposed to temperatures low enough to freeze the soil solution (water in the soil) you can repot (a repot includes root work and a soil change) either in the spring before buds move or in fall after leaves drop. If you live where the soil solution IS apt to freeze, repotting is best left until spring just prior to budswell.

Potting up or repotting in fall won't cause any more than the normal amount of new growth unless you prune at the same time (before leaves fall). In fall, new growth is suppressed by increasing dark period.

Al

• genecolin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts Al. I'm using a fairly light mix so I don't think over watering will be a problem.
    "gene"