Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sizes of fig varieties

Posted by thomis 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 1, 10 at 13:02

I am looking for the most compact varieties of figs to grow against the back of my house. I live in central NC. I see lots of good information around here and on google about the different varieties but no info seems to describe how tall and wide the fig trees get. What are some of the compact varieties? Is there a size comparison chart on the web someone is aware of?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sizes of fig varieties

Healthy figs grow to 30 feet high,while deasesed fig trees(fig Mosaic Virus) remain small.
Size of tree is something you decide by pruning and thinning.
They have very soft wood without thorns,so are very easy to shorten to the size we want.

o

Petite Negra is about as small as they come naturally. From what I hear Petite Negra, Negronne and Violette de Bordeaux are the same or virtually the same tree.

Violette de Bordeaux
A small, super, jet black fig from Spainl,
considered by many to be the very best tasting fig.
It's very hardy, good for cold climates.Two crops.
It's highly productive in pots. Dwarf and prolific.

o

I have Violet de Bordeaux from Edlible Landscaping nursery and i have read reports from different websites that Violet De Bordeaux is Dwarf and Prolific and no its not Dwarf in fact its a good grower as i can attest to with pictures.

Martin

o

So true Martin. One can never trust tree descriptions.lol Still I don't think it likely that it will grow as big as a Black Mission. But I hear you and agree that dwarf when it comes to figs is a relative thing.

And the thing can get relatively big.

o

• Posted by girlbug2 z9/10, Sunset zone 2 (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 2, 10 at 19:23

Green Ischia, Petite Negri (different from Petite Negra), and Black Jack are smaller varieties.

o

I've got the same question. How tall would a Violette de Bordeaux tree get if it were left unpruned?
thanks,
MM

o
dieseler help?

I have overpruned my trees this year

This post was edited by patriota on Thu, Dec 19, 13 at 21:09

o
dieseler help?

pvsuccess19@aol.com

o
dieseler help?

pvsuccess19@aol.com

o

I have a Italian Honey that is not over 6'. About 10 yrs old

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here