Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rigo76802

Fig Cuttings not taking?

rigo76802
13 years ago

I started some fig cuttings back around Sept 24, 4 different fig tree's i took cuttings from. I have lost 2 out of 18 to mold, others are still ok but no sign of roots on side cup yet. Am i being to impatient?

Comments (14)

• debbies_cockatiels_2
    13 years ago

rigo76802 , When I did this back in June it took about 2
    full months untill I could see the roots at the edge of
    the cup . So take a deep breath and sit back and wait.
    The roots will show up soon... Debbie

• dieseler
    13 years ago

Hi Rigo,
    wait till around Thanksgiving.
    Martin

• rigo76802
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info.

one good thing is none of the cuttings look like they are drying out. i just have to be patient and wait.

• rigo76802
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Good news, today when i was checking for mold i found one of cuttings had lots of roots visible through the cup.

i was really excited about this cutting because it is a cuttings from my grandmothers fig tree. She passed away in 2008 and my grandfather gave me cuttings to continue her fig tree.

• noss
    13 years ago

Hi rigo,

I'm happy for you that your grandma's fig cutting has rooted for you. That's really special.

noss

• thisisme
    13 years ago

If one has roots now is the time to get it out of there and into a less mold prone location.

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I would use bottom heat to increase your chances.

• noss
    13 years ago

What kind of heat is used for bottom heat and why do we use it?

Thanks,

noss

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

There's a special heating mat for seeding or starting cuttings. It warms up the soil to encourage root growth. It usually keeps the soil 10ð warmer than the ambient temperature. I use it to root cuttings in winter with great success.

Bass

• noss
    13 years ago

Thanks Bass,

Does the mat use circulated water rather than coils like a heating pad? For orphaned, or sick puppies, the incubators use pads that circulate warmed water, which is gentler and can't "cook" the babies like a regular heating pad with coild would. Maybe it wouldn't make any difference with plants, though. I was just wondering.....

Thanks,

noss

• jojosplants
    13 years ago

Hi,
    I'd like to know a little more about these too. I have been thinking about getting one.

How do you decide which whattage to get?
    I just did a google search and so much came up, it's a little confusing.

Here's a link to one I thought looked ok. but it comes in 3 different watts.
    JoJo

Here is a link that might be useful: Seedling heat mat

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

I use the hydrofarm seedling mat the same one in the link above. It's specially made for cuttings and plants. It usually keeps the plants 10ð warmer than the surrounding temperature. You can get a separate thermometer but it's not necessary for a few cuttings.
    It helps growing roots faster, especially in winter.

Bass

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

rigo,

It is best to be patient with your cuttings. They will eventually root for you. If you buy a heating mat, I STRONGLY suggest that you do not put a cover completely on your bin. Best of luck to you.

Noss,

I would highly recommend that you never ever use bottom heat on any "closed container" like the fig rooting bin pictured above or any cuttings placed in baggies. To do so will actually cause more mold to form than it helps out the situation. Propagation mats are designed for outdoor "green house" usage with an "open" air space. You simply DO NOT NEED ONE for rooting fig cuttings at normal indoor room temperatures.

Please give me a call when you are ready to root cuttings and I will give you the details of an almost fool proof method based upon your particular needs and your particular situation. The time to start cuttings in our area is in early January. If you start them too early, you will have to tend to them over the entire winter. If you start them in early January, you will find it much easier .......because, as the new starts are potted, the outside temperatures will be just right for placing them outdoors. This is much better than having to nurse them indoors until the warm weather arrives.

Dan

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

How long for a Fig cutting to become a tree and produce. I started some Fig Cuttings last year and they still in one Gallon pots slowly developing.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!