Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What next for this cutting? (pic)

Posted by bchbound (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 15, 11 at 13:09

I cut and planted this cutting with root tone about 3 weeks ago. The cutting is about 6 inches above the soil line. As you can see it has just sprouted leaves.

I have 2 questions:

Do I pinch the leaves to encourage root growth?

It is mid October here in NY. Do I put this plant in the basement to hibernate for the winter or let it grow indoors until spring before putting it out?

Thanks

DSC03775

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What next for this cutting? (pic)

Do you see any roots yet through the sides of the cup? You should wait until you have decent root growth and then carefully re-pot it in potting soil in a 1-gallon pot. The leaves are encouraging, but not a sign that it has developed a decent set of roots (or even any roots) yet.

I have a number of similar, leafed-out or about-to-leaf-out cuttings, and I plan to let mine continue to grow all winter in a light, heated space.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photos of cutting development

o

Good advice from Kudzu.

o

No, do not pinch the leaves yet.

Are you trying to get fruit from it or for it to grow more leaves?
Pinching is to grow figs quicker.
If the plant is six inches tall it is not ready to get you fruit.

Let it grow.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here