Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
birdguide

Sick Ficus ??

birdguide
10 years ago

HI...this is my first time posting here, so I hope this is an appropriate forum for my question. About 3 weeks ago, my wife rescued this ficus from her office. It was one of those that had been purchased at Home Depot or Lowe's and had gravel glued and sealed over the soil. It was also in a pot that had no drainage holes. Whoever was "taking care" of it was apparently watering it quite a bit because when we broke of the glued layer of pebbles and inspected the roots, they were quite waterlogged. As you can see from the photo, the most of the leaves were more than half yellow and many were turning brow. We have since repotted it into gritty mix (1/3 pine bark fines, 1/3 crushed granite pieces and 1/3 turface). I have been watering it sparingly (about 1x per week) and have fertilized it once with Foliage Pro 9-3-6. It is putting out quit a bit of new growth, but many of the leaves are still turning yellow. I will attach a current picture to a subsequent post so you can see it then and now. Does anyone have any ideas about its long-tern prognosis? I have been gardening outdoors for many years, but am fairly new to indoor container gardening, so I am not sure if I am approaching this correctly or if it is a lost cause. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH