Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sick Ficus ??

Posted by birdguide North Carolina (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 13:36

HI...this is my first time posting here, so I hope this is an appropriate forum for my question. About 3 weeks ago, my wife rescued this ficus from her office. It was one of those that had been purchased at Home Depot or Lowe's and had gravel glued and sealed over the soil. It was also in a pot that had no drainage holes. Whoever was "taking care" of it was apparently watering it quite a bit because when we broke of the glued layer of pebbles and inspected the roots, they were quite waterlogged. As you can see from the photo, the most of the leaves were more than half yellow and many were turning brow. We have since repotted it into gritty mix (1/3 pine bark fines, 1/3 crushed granite pieces and 1/3 turface). I have been watering it sparingly (about 1x per week) and have fertilized it once with Foliage Pro 9-3-6. It is putting out quit a bit of new growth, but many of the leaves are still turning yellow. I will attach a current picture to a subsequent post so you can see it then and now. Does anyone have any ideas about its long-tern prognosis? I have been gardening outdoors for many years, but am fairly new to indoor container gardening, so I am not sure if I am approaching this correctly or if it is a lost cause. Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here