Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sergnic

Lob Injir (Myrna or Calimyrna cuttings)

sergnic
11 years ago

I'l like have cuttings of Lob Injir (....), I've allowable other varieties of Italian figs, and also carica x palmata hybrid.

Comments (29)

• Rigo76443
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

what are you looking for trade ? i have 5 different varieties for trade.

Celeste
    Brown Turkey
    Unknown fig from an abandon house
    Unknown fig from old couples house in my area.
    Texas Everbearing fig
    Green colored fig Unknown variety

Email me at Rigo76443@windstream.net to trade

• gorgi
    11 years ago

I guess you meant S_myrna vs Cali_myrna (both need caprification for any fruit)....

Also,
    I do know of one such F.carica x F.palmata hybrid,
    namely, DFIC.0023.
    A very vigorous nice tree with huge leaves, very nice fruit, but
    unfortunately, it never ripened any fruit for me, so
    I tossed it - my guess is it that requires that infamous fig-wasp too.

• foolishpleasure
    11 years ago

I have two beautiful trees with nice green leaves and branches very vigrous. Lots of fruits, good size and good shape but never ripen. I waited two years to see one fruit ripened no luck. They need the famous Fig Wasp who refuse to live in my cold climate. I got frusterated and brought my chain saw but my GF stopped me and said don't dare I love them and I don't care about fruit they make the landscape beautiful. I left them for her with the stipulation she will care for them. I stillm lucky to have my other self pollinating producers.

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

First: Lob Injir is equal to Myrna = Calimyrna. So my request is about Myrna, = Calimyrna. Thanks
    Second: I do not know wich is the Indentity Nr of my Hybrid caricaxpalmata, arrived me from the States.

My location is in Italy Z9b, where the wasp Blastophaga is endemic and everywhere. My c.x p.produces black brebas and very jucy true-fig. (Juicy means that pulp is not firm, but is quite full of "liquid syrup") the peel of siconia (fruit) is very lightly hairy, pulp is true red.

I cannot assure if the plant "needs" the blastophaga becouse is very difficult to obtain fruit surely NOT pollenized here. (And i've never tried to do it).

From the sowing of seeds of a pollenized fruit I've obtained four seedlings, (now six inches tall), being in my area my plant is the unique c x p hybrid female, the pollenization was only possible from carica male, that all round my orchard are many, and are (infortunately) of black-small fruits, or violet. So the seedligs are "(carica x palmata) again x carica". The characteristics of seedligs seems (repeat: seems) to be medium between the two parents.

To be fair (however) is necessary to wait a bit next year, becouse in my orchard is possible that the plants aren't come from MY sowed seeds! Fig seedlings grow everywere, in rim of the flowerbeds and paths.
    If someone have possibility to send me cuttings of Myrna next winter (e. g. February, begin of March) I'm allowable to accord the varieties that you interest (known or unknown). Thanks, but I do not have space for other varieties different than by me request!

I'm allowable to talk about other varieties, but I do not likes receive other.

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Out of topic: As explication and resolution of pollination problem (absence of wasp) take note that Brebas do not have to be pollenized, for so production of fruit is assured (of course if the climate (frosts) of your area do not burns the buds of apexes).

• ninovarga
    11 years ago

Ciao Sergnic,

dovresti suggerirmi qualche buona varieta' di fico della tua zona. Farei scambi molto volentieri se t'interessassero una o piu' delle mie varieta'. Puoi vedere alcune foto del mio assortimento nel topic "Fig fever in Europe". Sono relativamente vicino al confine italiano (meno di 300 km)e il materiale vegetale, tipo talee di fico, puo' circolare liberamente all'interno dell'UE. Quindi difficolta' di raggiungimento non esistono!

• ninovarga
    11 years ago

Sergnic,
    non sapevo che i fioroni non hanno bisogno di impollinazione. Nella mia zona ci sono dei fichi che non producono mai perch� perdono tutti quanti i frutti che fanno. Sono forse maschili/impollinatori???
    Il fico "femmina" che richiede l'impollinazione per blastofaga si riconosce dalla caratteristica di fare esclusivamente fioroni e fichi no? Una cosa tutta nuova per me!

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I sent figs in the States (many varieties), Peru, Canada, France, England, Belgium, Sweden, and Malaysia. I'll send in Ucraina, Spain, and Mexico. I've not problem to receive, but I DO NOT WANT to receive! Except when by me required!! I've limited space!! I've tens of varieties yet..!
    In fact now the condition for me is to stop to send fig (not balanced by receipt) if not almost received few money for postal costs.

About pollenizing: normally exist two type of figs:
    1) persistent, do NOT need pollenizing
    2) deciduous, (in italiano: caduchi) if not pollenized drops unripe.
    Surely in 1) is the variety Kadota (Dottato in italiano), few brebas and many true-figs, Kadota is (for true figs) the best fig in Italy.
    Also quite all Brabas are in 1).
    Many other varieties are (for true fig) partially or totally in 1).
    This means that the figs 1) may be are pollenized or not, but in any case do not drops.

Figs plants of 2) need absolutely to be pollenized, few varieties, (producing true figs), and as for example the Myrna (Smirne in italiano).

The condition to pollenizing are (both):
    a) winter temperatures that not drops lower tha minus 9 celsius degrees.
    b) presence of colony of the "wasp" Blastophaga psenes.
    If you do NOT have above said condition you have to control if the plant is in category 1) (for the interestd fruiting!).
    Example my Vallecalda (Piombinese) have good black brebas 1), and true figs (may be in part 2) and may be (the true figs) however not ripening in Hungary.

I do not know, (if you do not send me some fruits) if is a male fig, but I suppose not. Who would ever send a caprifig in Hungary?

Nino: if you write in GW please write in english, since the forum is because everyone understands.
    I am able to write perfect Italian, (of course), but then send me a private message. GW or by e-mail.
    Ciao,
    SergNic

• gorgi
    11 years ago

I think that these oldie commercials were very funny...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LztZu5s0-QU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoYsfbq3vMc

Here is a link that might be useful: You can call me Jay

• mountainman0826
    11 years ago

I have read that the Alma variety bred at Texas A&M some years back is a Ficus Carica x Ficus Palmata cross. Obviously, it is not the same as your hybrid, Sergio. The Alma fig, in my central Texas climate, has amber skin with reddish stripes and an amber pulp. It has a rich taste and the pulp has a jelly-like consistency.

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kind my friend mountain man! Here my hybrid from UC at Davis.

Nino sen me a message..

• mountainman0826
    11 years ago

Definitely not Alma - looks like a fine fig, though!

• gorgi
    11 years ago
  • sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hybrid carica x palmata

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gorgi,
    Seems in effect DFIC.0023

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Nino Varga:
    La varieta' adatta per te e' un fiorone (breba) precoce bianco o nero; se i getti apicali non sono danneggiati dal gelo. I fioroni sono infatti prodotti dalle gemme maturate l'autunno precedente.

Jay:
    The varieties suitable for you are fioroni (breba) early, if the apical buds are not damaged by frosts. (The brebas are products from the buds matured the previous autumn).
    For you is necessary (however) early ripening and (of course) category 1).

• alb419_ny
    11 years ago

Ciao Sergio,
    good to see you back on the fig forum.CIAO,
    Giuseppe

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ciao Jo!!!!
    Also for me!!
    Sergnic

• figfan_hungary
    11 years ago

Ciao Sergio,

I'm Ninovarga's friend (also having some knowledge in Italian, but you're right, this is an English language forum) and I also looking for Lob Injir/Calimyrna or any similar fig cultivar requiring pollination. That's why I need also caprifigs and fig wasps. These are not present here, surely because winter temperatures are generally below -9 degrees Celsius. My plan is to grow caprifigs in a huge pot and overwinter them with the third generational fig crop containing wasp larvae in a frost-free cellar, therefore providing a safe shelter for them for the winter time.

Why I want all this? Simply a hobby and I like the taste of the smyrna-type dried figs imported from Turkey or Greece. I've already sowed some seeds from Turkish dried figs, yes, I know that there will be a lot of intermediate and bad quality female figs, but maybe will germinate some true caprifigs and some fruiting "myrna-like" fig of good or at least acceptable quality. What's your opinion about this? Haven't you tried it yet?

As I mentioned above probably we won't have to much chance to estabilish a fig wasp colony open-air without overwintering them indoors, but anyway I must provide you some information about our climate:

We don't have frost problem with breba/fiorone crop and neither with enough time for the ripening of the second crop. We are on the extreme southwest border of our country, this tiny region is on the southern side of the Alps. If we talk about winter minimum temperatures, the nocturne radiational temperature inversion plays a huge role. Our hills and slopes are in USDA zone 8a, almost 8b, meanwhile plains and valleys are of 7b/7a. This extreme cold winter we had -21 at the lowest levels and only -12,4 on the hill (Ninovarga's orchard). Two years ago we had one -21 degrees Celsius night in the yalley and that night we measured only -8,4 C in the orchard.

You can't see larger fig trees in the valleys and plains but there are huge 7 meter tall exemplars in the vineyards on the hills. In the last 30 years we were a stable zone 8, reliable historic data collected from a hillside viticultural observatory 10 km away confirm this. Nino's fig trees never suffered any winter or spring frost damage in this 20 years period. We have a fig variety originating from the Dalmatian coast ripening in the last week of October so its season has just finished now but this cultivar still ripens more or less. Our other cultivars' season usually finishes at the end of September simply because they ripen all their fruits off.

I didn't want to be too didactic sorry for that, just thought it would be interesting. And I wanted to say with all that explanation that if you're so kind with us, don't fear to send us average or a bit late ripening varieties. The only important properties are:
    -It should survive -11/-12 C without serious bud damage
    -Main crop should ripen before the end of October.

Should you interested in asian persimmon (kaki) we have 14 varieties for scionwood cutting exchange.

I look forward to hearing from you and your opinion

• figfan_hungary
    11 years ago

Regarding the last sentences I've just realised mentally that ups, I had forgotten you couldn't test your varieties for hardiness in zone 9b so the second condition is enough and we can test them by own, counting on inevitable losses.

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Beginning from the main question.
    Introduce the Blastophaga in Hungary, and maintain it.
    It seems crazy.
    We need to find the B., no problem, I can send it.
    But is the flowering in order to receive it?
    The introduction of the B. in the U.S. in 1898, fron Naples (Italy) to California failed because the flowering were not aligned perfectly for times.
    When B. flies it has only two three - days to find the syconium in adapt phase.

I.J. Condit "The fig" (is in Net):
    The introdudtion had success in the 1899, from B. coming from Algeria, but nobody was able to understand what happened, few caprifigs was fertilized, some not, and the main plant (designed for pollenizing) do not was pollenized at all.
    Nobody is sure that a single particular caprifig is sufficient to bear all the system.

You gave me some important information about your site. Take into attention that I've possibility to have more cold hardy fig, than the varieties normally present in my region.

The better figs are normally more delicate, and less hardy.

• figfan_hungary
    11 years ago

I can imagine two possible options to the problem:

1. I should bring (buy somewhere or excavate from the wild) one or more mature caprifig tree with syconia containing the wasps. Sometimes we go to Italy, but unfortunately to Veneto, Romagna, Friuli or Pistoia only and I've never seen such thing in nurseries (vivai) as caprifig plants. Do you know any in North Italy? As I can see you're also looking for smyrna-type edible fig therefore I suppose it's not a common thing in Italy either. What do you think about sowing seeds from dried figs? Ira Condit writes that the results were sometimes surprisingly good in experiments but it's important to graft seedlings to mature trees to ensure early production, not after 6 or 7 years. Maybe I can graft seedlings to our mature trees.

2. the other option to the problem could be artificial pollinization. /Certainly after the acquisition of caprifigs and smyrna figs/. Condit writes that it could be successful with a needle or a very tiny glass tube. The main problem with this could be guessing the proper time when caprifig pollen is mature and female syconia are in the proper phase to recieve pollen. But with that solution I would be able to skip the whole complicated blastophaga story and I could concentrate to obtaining caprifigs and Lob Injir and to the proper time of artificial pollinization only.

Talking about hardiness:

There are really surprising facts concerning cold hardiness. Two traditional Hungarian cultivars are not among the most hardy ones, while definitely we have a third, which is the most hardy one of ours. We brought some Italian cultivars that are hardier than the two Hungarian mentioned above. Meanwhile we have two varieties of Italian origin which froze back to the ground after only a -8 C winter. But generally I can say that a fig with "average" hardiness is free of problem here, so it's not necessary to rigorously restrict us to the super-super-hardy ones. I only wanted to exclude the most tender ones, similars to our "dies back to the ground after only a -8 night" varieties.

• figfan_hungary
    11 years ago

When I type "Lob Injir" to google search I get this topic on the first place so I hope that somebody will help us finally. I uploaded the list and several pictures of our fig cultivars available for exchange but I got only one reaction yet. So patience will tell us.

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I stay in my opinion. The initiative was really difficult for the introduction in California, an there many plants was yet present, and implanted; only B. was transferred.
    And in Calif. was present a real economic interest, for commercial trade, and for so many money was invested.

Manual pollenizing is of course possible, but is not possible an important production, also if knowing the flowering times.

Not many people is interested in this type o fig, is not matter of to have material in change or not.

• figfan_hungary
    11 years ago

Of course, I haven't mentioned or even thought about commercial production at all. Alteady we are commercial direct growers (don't know the proper English word, "produttore diretto" in Italian) so we understand the facts and difficulties qualifying for commercial scale growing. That's all about a personal hobby as said before and my 2-3 pieces of caprifig trees and 4-5 or so smyrna fig trees. With artificial pollinization for example, I could add some pieces of this kind of fruits as an interesting rarity to our existing parthenocarpic cultivars. I realized that this type of figs haven't got any serious attention outside Greece, Turkey and California. To the latter place blastophaga was introduced 110 years ago, plant material had to travel for several weeks until the destination so we don't know how it would work today. That's why I try it at least, we have a proverb in our language to that, but it's difficult to translate.

• alb419_ny
    11 years ago

Sergio,
    can you please tell us how the manual pollination can be done on fig trees.I have this fig tree that was send to
    me by my sister from Calabria ,this fig has a fantastic taste
    a very rare cultivar that taste like dates,but is not self fertile and needs the wasp.Do you have any idea how I can do this manually?Thank you,ciao
    Giuseppe

• sergnic
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Figfan, and Giuseppe,

When in California tried to pollenize (with a small wooden stick) they obtained few splendid fruits, but only few.

The caprifig (improperly said "male fig") have instead both sexes in the fruit, the female flowers are inner, the male flowers (clearly identifiable because different) are near the ostiole (eye).

A longitudinal section of the syconia allows to indentify the two type of flowers, (in every time) and presence of pollen on the male fl. (here in Genoa end of April). A small but powerful magnifiyng glass, (like the one of the watchmaker -put to the eye- may be helpful.

Is necessary to have a caprifig bearing syconia.

I have many caprifigs (not in my orchard, but near the river and brooks all round) unfortunately they are not of "controlled quality", (fruits are small and blue) for so, also if good quality of fruit is sure, the produced seeds may be have "not excellent" characteristics in theyr chromosomes.

Time ago I found caprifigs (quite away my home), with large brown syconia, but the municipality workers "cleaned" the paths, and now I'm not sure if they resprouted again.

• Còii Thằng
    9 years ago

Thanks for your handy post dao tao tieng anh

• james_kavanagh23
    6 years ago

Ciao SergNic,

My name is James and I am a master's student currently completing a joint masters thesis with the University of Oxford and Harvard. For my project I need to source some caprifigs as well as fig wasps. Do you have any samples that you would be able to send to England? I am happy to answer any questions you may have about the project and very keen for any advice you may have as you seem very knowledgeable about the subject. If this is something you are able to help with I would be extremely grateful.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm