Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whgille

Varieties of figs for zone 9b in Florida

whgille
14 years ago

Hi

Can somebody recommend a good fig variety for my climate?

Currently, I have Alma which I am happy with the flavor and also Brown Turkey and not happy with the flavor.

I had different varieties of figs before, I am looking for the best tasting that will grow here.

Any input will be appreciated because I am planning to make an order of bare root trees.

Silvia

Comments (51)

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cecil

Thank you. Can you please name a source where I can get it?

Silvia

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Silvia,

The two people that comes to mind are ebay sellers
    Hermansur he is where the VS comes from (his name)
    The other is another ebay seller Figsandstuff (George)
    Both are well respected Forum members on both forums!

Good luck
    Cecil

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cecil

Thanks a lot! I will follow up on your advice.

Silvia

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Silvia I would also look at varieties with small or closed eyes that can handle our rainy season also heat tolerant Some like heat more than others from what i understand I'M still a newbie so others I'm sure will help
    PS I responded to your question on garden forum
    Happy hunting
    I love looking at your garden pics also you must have green toes to go along with your green thumbs
    Sal

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sal

That is nice from you, I did look at your post in the Florida forum and answer you.

And yes we do have a challenge with our weather. In my experience figs prefer a Mediterranean climate that of course we don't have. Neither we have the fertile soil over there.

But we have to do the best we can. Thanks to Cecil and his kindness, I am on the quest for a good tasting fig!

Silvia

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

I think a Viollete de bourdeux will do well in our climate as it likes heat and the long growing season
    Sal

• demondmh
    14 years ago

There is a man in North Lakeland who grows figs and sells the plants and fruit. He lists on craigslist in Lakeland. His name is Frank. I purchased several plants from him this summer and two of them are covered with figs. He has mission, brown turkey, celeste and mystery (a yellow fig from Georgia). All of them do well here in Lakeland. He has his planted in the ground although mine are in pots.

I don't think you are too far from Lakeland

• botanicalbill
    14 years ago

Im also in 9b but a bit further south, in Lee county. I have a celeste in the ground and is realy taking off. I bet the tree hits 10 feet next year. Its only been in the ground for a year. The other kind I have that gave me figs and its only 1 year old is the LSU gold.
    You can get both kinds from Mr James Robin Jr. Search for his name and you will find write ups about him. A very nice old man that does business the old fashoned way.
    I have an Alma and another LSU gold coming from him in about a month.
    -Bill

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sal, I will look up the Violette de Bordeaux. That is the great thing with figs, we can put them in a pot if we run out of space.

Demondmh
    Thank for your input. I went to a nursery in Tallahasee and got my Alma fig, I was told that the Black Mission don't do well in my area.
    I had one in Arizona and did great with the heat, of course we did not have the humidity.
    I went to the u-pick farms near by and had the chance to see and sample Celeste, Texas Everbearing (impressive tall tree) and an unknown white.

Bill
    Thank you for your info and I am glad that you are doing good with your recently planted figs. That is one of the reasons that I love figs! They really grow fast.

Silvia

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

I am conducting cultivar suitability studies for my hot, rainy, humid climate here in South Louisiana. I am currently studying nearly two hundred fig trees. Of the varieties that are readily available in nurseries,you will be pleased with a good Celeste, Violette de Bordeaux, or LSU Purple for taste and rain tolerance. The LSU Purple takes a few years before it produces superior tasting fruit.....but it is worth consideration as it is nearly everbearing in our climate. Smith is another great tasting fig but not as productive as other cultivars. LSU Gold and Hollier are both very good and sweet but are susceptible to splitting after heavy rains.....if you don't mind losing a few figs to rain (I don't mind) they are worth your consideration too.

Dan

• ejp3
    14 years ago

I know I am not in zone 9 but I have been through quite a lot of celestes. Where do you get a good (large fruit, no fmv, dark red interior, no fruit dropping) celeste? What is your opinion of Malta black?

• demondmh
    14 years ago

I got my first ripe fig from my black mission. It was a dark red color with a light yellow interior. It does very well here in Florida (judging by the other 50 or so figs on my 3 foot tall potted tree). Unless the rest of the other figs have a dark interior, I am assuming that it really is not black mission, but some other unknown variety.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Ed,

Celeste is by far the most popular fig that is grown here in Louisiana, followed by the Southern or South Eastern Brown Turkey. Both are excellent multi-purpose figs. I am trialing quite of few of these in an attempt to find the best strain of Celeste and BT......not all have the same fruiting characteristics. Taste, productivity (one crop or two crop), fruit drop, and rain tolerance can be different. As a group, Celeste is an excellent choice for planting in the South.

The leading contender in my Celeste trials for "the best" is one strain that I obtained in a Baton Rouge yard planting. It is tight-eyed, more productive than most and had very little fruit drop when we had a drought in our area earlier this season. To me its taste is better than most as it has very pleasant fruit notes to it that "lingers" on the palate for several minutes after you eat it....not all figs do this. This particular strain produces two crops that will ripen in my zone 9. My neighbor has an excellent strain of Celeste that bears heavily.....but, only one crop over a six week period. Her large tree has already dropped all of its leaves in preparation for dormancy. Some of my trial trees are still ripening some fruit in my yard.......go figure. But in either case, Celeste as a group produces some excellent tasting figs.

I do not have Malta black in my collection; so, I do not know about its fruiting characteristics nor can I make any comparisons to it. I've heard that it is the grandmother to the Celeste strain.

Dan

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan
    I probably had not tried a good Celeste variety. The ones I had were water down flavor and when I went to pick them after the rain they were split.

If I had to compare with the Black Mission, I like the Black Mission more.

Since you cannot have too many figs I will look into the Violette de Bordeaux and Black Mission too.

Let us know about your trials with the other varieties. It is very interesting. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Silvia

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Silva,

I grow Black Mission too and it is a very good tasting fig in our zone. However, it definitely is a little tender in our area as it can be easily killed by a late spring freeze. I'm growing mine in a bush form which can better handle and survive those kinds of conditions. So.......if you get a Mission grow it in a bush form and not as a single trunk tree.

Dan

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dan, that is important info to know. For now, I am thinking of getting the ones that Cecil and Sal recommended and the Black Mission. With the Alma I have that makes 4 varieties, that for sure will make me happy.

And I will have to take down the Brown Turkey because I really don't like it.

And I know that taste can vary from one person to another but this tree is not even getting ripe figs, they are still green and is almost the end of the season.

Silvia

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

You should be very happy with those four varieties....I have them all in my collection. If you eventually get caught up in the Sal's fig mania like many people do....go with the Sal's (gene's strain) version as it does better in our climate. I know how bad some Brown Turkey figs can be. I have discarded two Brown Turkey fig trees that had very bland tasting fruit. However, there are some excellent Brown Turkey stains that are growing in the south....so don't be put off by just the name. It's taste and desirable fruiting characteristics that really counts.

Dan

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan

If I am going to hang out in the fig forums, I am sure going to catch the fig mania. lol

I almost feel ashamed here wanting only 4 varieties, when you guys have so many...

For me, owning a fig tree is like is supposed to be, we always had a fig growing up and have fond memories of different figs.

Silvia

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Silvia,

FIA.......I ate several Violette de Bourdeaux figs yesterday. Despite the cool weather we've been having, these figs were excellent tasting....still sweet and rich tasting. Not too many figs taste this good late into October.

Dan

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan,

I envy you. :)

Today, I will be making my fig order. Thanks for the help!

Silvia

• gary27
    14 years ago

Dan, I planted an Italian Honey Fig here in Baton Rouge, as I wanted a small tree. Fig trees get so big here. My mother had one in New Roads that was at least 30ft high and 30 feet wide. Had to cut it down after the hurricane. I was wondering if Italian Honey fig is one of your varieties, and how it performs for you?
    Regards,.........Gary

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Hello Gary,

Those hurricanes destroyed a lot of good fig trees in La. Your mom's tree must have produced a ton of figs.

I have a small Italian Honey that has not yet fruited for me. However, I have eaten quite a few figs from the mother tree. They are very sweet and there is some fruit loss to very heavy rains.....thought it can handle light rains. The mother tree is about the same size as the Celeste trees that you see growing in our area. It is a very productive tree.

Dan

• gary27
    14 years ago

My mother's fig tree did produce a ton of figs. The one's in the top belonged to the birds, we didn't even try to pick them. The figs at the bottom belonged to the ducks, they used to check the tree everyday waiting for the figs to ripen. We still got 5gl bucket after buckett of figs. The alchol smell of the ripe figs would hit you as soon as you got out of the car in the driveway. No idea what kind of fig tree it was. Mother said it was a wild tree. Celeste trees get pretty big, so my Italian Honey Fig which is supposed to be a dwarf isn't. How about that Violet de Bordeaux? Does that stay small? I ordered an Atreano this year, I'm going to grow it in a pot.....Gary

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

VdB, Negronne, Petite Negri, and Beer's Black tend to be smaller trees that do well in pots. I have a 7 ft. Atreano that is growing in my yard. It did not fruit for me this year.....maybe because I over fertilized it.

I ate a second crop Smith fig this morning. It tasted just as sweet and rich as it does when it ripens earlier in the season. Hollier was still very sweet. Several Celeste that I also ate were just OK tasting. Other cutivars were not even edible and I had to spit them out.

Dan

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

I see the VdB and Negronne at times being the same fig can anyone clarify
    Sal

• fatnsassytexan
    14 years ago

Hi Sal, Ray Givan's Fig Booklet says that Negronne is the true name, named after the nearby town. He also states that Condit preferred the name Bordeaux. I understand that Petite Negri and Beer's black are synonyms also. Hope this helps. With all the slightly different strains around, some may consider them unique varieties. I'm confused, are you?

Tim

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Thanks Tim the naming thing is confusing and frustrating at times I just need to keep telling myself that the taste is not in the name but the fig itself. Then again when my trees are more mature I would like to share and not mislead anyone that is where I get frustrated.
    Sal

• ejp3
    14 years ago

I have negronne and vdb. They both are very very similar in leaf shape and dwarf habit. The figs taste and look almost identical to me but the negronne figs are noticably smaller. But the negronne is 3-4 yrs old and the vdb 6 or 7. I always thought they were the same fig but am not positive. Either way they are both very good. Tight eye and no splitting during rain.

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

VdB and Negronne are very close. The Negronne seems to have leaves with fingers that are a bit longer than VdB and Beer's Black. I agree with Ed......they are very good figs that are rain tolerant and will produce sweet and rich tasting figs even in cool weather. The tight eye keeps those nasty souring bugs out too.....can't ask for much more from a fig. It is one that I highly recommend to my neighbors since it performs so well in our climate.

Dan

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan

You should let us know which ones are the one you spit, that way we won't buy them :)

I ordered Black Mairselles VD and Negronne for now...I was told the same thing that they are similar with VdB.

Sal

I will compare notes with you later on...I know where to find you. lol

Silvia

• xgrndpounder
    14 years ago

Hi Silvia,

The Blk. Marseilles is VS as in Vasile Surugiu (Herman2)

Regards

Cecil

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Silvia,

We are fortunate that in our growing zone we can ripen second and third crop figs (not counting brebas). To me its more important to talk about those that produce good tasting figs late into the season than those inedible cutlivars that we now spit out. Some of the varieties whose taste is not up to par since the cooler weather arrived, actually were very good earlier in the season.

Today I ate a slightly bird-pecked Col de Dame White fig. I have one more on the tree left to ripen. CdD-W is a superior tasting fig and the best tasting in my collection this year. It is a completely rain tolerant cultivar and our zone can ripen it to perfection. My tree produced a few brebas this year that tasted just like the main crop figs. Its down side.........it is a late season fig. But, that's OK cause who doesn't want an extended season with excellent tasting figs? Southerners should hear that LSU Purple is very rain tolerant & nearly ever bearing and will produce good tasting figs late into the season....the same with VdB. Adding a VdB or an LSU Purple to accompany an ole reliable Celeste tree will significantly extend one's fig growing season. I have been eating ripe figs since June 14th......aren't we fortunate to be living in our zone?

Dan

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Silvia I think you have 3 very good varieties from what I've read. My findings have been when you think the fruit is ripe wait 2-3 more days and you will notice a big difference in taste and sugar content.This has been trial and much error on my part. Of course weather plays into this as I've had to pick early than normal because of rain and that particular variety souring or spoiling (Brunswick) I don't think this will be a problem with what you have chosen. If you go to figs4fun.com on the main page you can get much info of varieties with pics and other helpful info great forum also. I'm sure these will be a great addition to your beautiful garden. For those of you who are interested go to the Florida Garden forum and look at some of Silvia's pics. I'm sure she will be very successful in growing Figs
    Sal

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Silvia,

One of my research goals is to find the cultivars and/or strains that do very well in our area and to be able to choose several key plantings that will significantly extend one's fig growing season and production. It takes time to find "the best" ones........I have plenty of time as I'm retired.

Celeste is an excellent tasting all purpose fig and it begins to ripen in Late June in our area.......many old timers say around the fourth of July. It produces few brebas and one main crop that lasts around six weeks. There are other regular Celeste and Southern Brown Turkey strains that will produce two crops over a longer period of time. They are very good tasting all purpose figs too.

LSU Purple is an early season, mid season, and late season fig.....the same with LSU Improved Celeste. The problem with LSU Purple is that it takes a few years before it produces excellent tasting fruit.....yes I said EXCELLENT. LSU Improved Celeste will produce superior tasting fruit during dry periods. Fully ripe figs are to die for.......very sweet and rich tasting with a strong fig flavor. It will produce figs from mid June until frost....usually in November in my yard. Its late season (October/November) figs still are still sweet and figgy tasting but not as rich as earlier in the season. I ate a few at Thanksgiving dinner last year. It is "the best" fig for making fig preserves. Its problem is that it will split and sour during very heavy rains as many figs do....though it can hanlde some light rains. Also, there are at least three (possibly four) strains of IC that are going around in South Louisiana where they were bred.....and they are not the same.

I am studying quiet a few Louisiana heirloom figs and several seem to do quite well in our area. With 135 distinct cutlivars in my collection and with multi-strains for quite a few named cultivars.......I'm sure I will find the best figs that do well in our area and will have more specific recommendations for plantings in our area in the future.

You will be very happy with the one's you have already chosen.....and that's coming from someone who has personally grown these cultivars in zone 9.

Dan

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Sal, you are very, very kind, you should be my manager! lol

Thank you Dan for again enlighten us with your knowledge.
    Now, I have the million dollar question. Do you have nematodes in your soil like we do in Florida?

If so, when my trees arrive shall I put them in the ground, or they would be better in containers? Like Sal's mini fig farm. I saw him with a wine glass singing next to his trees.:)

If putting them in the ground I am planning to add a lot of organic material and I know they will grow bigger. At least one of them.

Dan, if it is not too much to ask, how do you grow your trees?

Silvia

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Silvia,

My intent is to grow all of my fig trees in the ground. Those that I have growing in containers are my backup trees to replace those in the ground if needed. My soil is very rich Mississippi River delta soil which has a deep clay base and is perfect for growing figs. So my growing habits will be different than yours.

Nematodes can be found in many states and especially in areas which grew crops and/or had past agricultural activities going on. Nematodes prefer sandy soils and do like much clay. Yes nematodes are in my State; however, it is both soil type and past usage that dictates if they will be a problem. So far, I have not had any problem with them. When and if ever I do....here is my game plan........

I will apply a layer of LIMESTONE around the tree and cover it with dirt to form a mound around the tree. There is some new evidence that limestone is an anti-nematode agent. New roots will grow into this mound and hopefully the nematode population will not like the limestone and leave those new roots alone. I have heard first hand reports on its effectiveness from some reliable southern growers. I hope that it works for you should the need ever arise.

I'll let others advise you on the right time to plant, fertilizer requirements, and on pot culture.

Dan

• nhardy
    14 years ago

Silvia, here is some more reading on RKN control.

Here is a link that might be useful: Root Knot Nematodes

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Dan for your info on the limestone, as you can tell I am new to the nematodes problem. But I am planning to take care of my figs the best that I can.

nhardy, thanks a lot for the link, it is good to know all the options to fight this problem.
    In the Florida forum, everybody talks about the problem, but no solutions.
    I am willing to try anything to keep my figs alive and well.

I just had the best experience in this forum, you are all so nice and helpful. Thanks for educating me on this fantastic fruit and its culture.

Silvia

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Silvia looking at your garden pics and what you are able to grow I don't think RKN will be a problem especially when using organic compost. Rust might be another thing which can be controlled with copper spray at bud break and then another follow up treatment. You might want to grow in a 3-5 gal pot the first year to develop a strong root ball and then put in ground when dormant with no chance of frost I'm thinking end of Feb for you or early March
    Sal

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sal

I don't have a problem just now with the RKN, but since everybody in Florida is afraid of them, I am just being extra cautious.

I do make baskets of fruits and veggies to give away to neighbors and friends, and I already have a list for people who want figs! And I don't even have them yet, you see I have to catch up.

I only moved 2 years ago here, I am new to the nematodes. Everything in the garden has produced for me, except the figs. I have to fix that. I am going to get the limestone and the neem cake like the nice people in this forum has suggested.

And also growing them in a pot, at least one is a good idea.
    Little by little I will add to my mini collection of figs. And I am taking notes of all the suggestions to use it later.

I am having fig dreams! :o)

Silvia

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

If you grow tomatoes and/or okra....check the roots for signs of nematodes........they love those vegetables more than figs. If you don't see them on those vegetable roots, that is a good sign.

Dan

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Again Dan said it better. Looking at what you are growing and the harvest, I don't believe Rkn is a problem for you.Again I would pot for first year as I've been told to do by some Old Timer Italian Who might know something about figs
    Sal

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Dan

Tomatoes look okay. lol

{{gwi:22348}}

That is because I always grow them in pots to avoid soil diseases. Okra the same, I have it in small pot since we only eat it sometimes.

All the figs that I have ever owned were pretty much care free, till I came here and I got what I believe a bad variety or maybe just a bad tree. I am going to fix that with all the advice I got here in this forum.

Dan, I will be very interested about the heirloom figs that you talked about...keep us posted.

Sal

The variety that I remember from my childhood is probably going to be very hard to find it, since I don't know what it is. My father always had rare plants in the garden, we had a huge fig tree that gave many crops and had big purple figs, pink inside. We ate them sometimes green and candied.
    In the morning, when I got up I had figs for breakfast...

I have raised beds growing veggies now with no signs of problems, and fruit trees are in the ground. The ones that have to be protected during a freeze are in containers where I can move them around.

When I take down the Brown Turkey fig, I am going to look at the roots and see what I find. It is kind of big considering is only 2 years old. And has fruit that did not ripen, they are still green.

Silvia

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Silvia we still have time for figs to ripen here so wait B-4 you destroy you might get a surprisingly different taste. The biggest mistake is picking to soon I am a prime example with a wht unknown the first figs were disappointing the next left on longer till skin showed cracks and developed brown spots what a difference in taste and changed my mind about trashing it. By all means if it is not a good variety or strain then destroy so it will not be passed around. The old timers in my family and neighborhood would trial and if they didn't pass they were destroyed for that reason
    Sal

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sal, maybe you are right, about giving this fig a chance.

Here is my sad looking Brown Turkey fig

Up close of the fruit, this time of the year I was told all the figs get rust.

And I forgot that I have tomatoes growing in the raised bed. No troubles.

Silvia

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

One variety had more of a rust problem than others this year when and if they go dormant I will spray all with copper at bud break and then again B-4 fruit set. I also learnt that the copper will stain concrete. Once the tree matures it might fight the rust better.
    Sal

• danab_z9_la
    14 years ago

Silvia, you have a very nice garden and those heirloom tomatoes sure do look good. Checking the roots of those in ground tomatoes will tell you if you have nematodes present in your yard.

Your fig tree looks like it could be a Southern Brown Turkey (not to be confused with Southeastern Brown Turkey). SBT is believed to be a bud sport of Celeste and is a very good tasting fig that does quite well in our zone. Since your tree is so young I would not pass final judgement on just its poor performance in ripening those fall figs. FIA- half the fig trees in Louisiana look worst than your tree. It is normal for Celeste to look like yours as it goes dormant in our area. Many of the large Celeste trees in La. lost most of their leaves in September. This does not affect next season's crop. If that were my tree, I would wait a couple of years before making a final decision to remove it. SBT's are a bit larger, more productive, and taste like Celeste. Celeste is the standard all purpose fig in the South and they are excellent figs.

Dan

• whgille
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sal, as long as we get good tasting figs, we can deal with the rust. I am planning to spray them when they go dormant too, which I think is going to be pretty soon.

Thank you Dan for all the info on my fig, and yes I am going to give it a chance since I got nothing to lose.
    And in my wish list is to visit Louisiana some day...
    We in Florida, visit each other gardens sometimes, and I always learn something new.

When they come to visit my garden, I always tell them not to have high expectations my garden is only 2 years old and I grow mostly fruit and veggies.

And Sal, next time that I go visit Katkin garden, I will give you a visit too. :o) And check your mini fig farm!

Happy Halloween!

Silvia

• giants_2007
    14 years ago

Silvia sounds great just drop me a email Kathy also has my Info
    Sal

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida