Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
olympia_gardener

Help, Looking for any fig cuttings

olympia_gardener
11 years ago

Hi, Since my 5 year old Hardy Chicago was "grounded" this spring, It was a nervousness break moment, but I am glad I did... Thanks for all of you who shared you methods and experiences of winterizing fig tree in zone 5, helped me overcome the fear. I got a good looking tree with interesting leave in the yard, delicious fruits, no more back ache in winter and spring...I start to enjoy growing fig tree... I would like to expend my fig tree growing and propagating experiences next year. I am looking for any cuttings you may have and are willing to share. Thank you very much for your help.

Comments (6)

• Rigo76443
    11 years ago

I have a few type of figs to share, what do you have to share?

Celeste

Brown Turkey

Texas Everbearing

unknown Fig variety from an abandon house i found

unknown Italian Fig from a Restaurant in my area where the chef was from Italy . He brought over a cutting from his family fig tree and i have access to cuttings.

email me at Rigo76443@windstream.net if interested in trading and what you have to trade.

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rigo, I will send you e-mail.

• Rigo76443
    11 years ago

you have Kumquats? you have a small plant to trade for fig cuttings? Or several Kumquat cuttings to propagate?

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Rigo, Yes I have kumquats. I have a very small meiwa kumquat seeding, and meiwa grafted plant that I can trade you for some cuttings... I will take a picture of both tonight when I get home and send to you tomorrow so you can decide which one to get.

• fignewbies
    11 years ago

Hi, olympia_gardener:

I am new to fig tree growing in ground.
    I had a fig tree that was indoor for several years.
    It was in a big,heavy pot and I got tired of moving
    the tree out to the garden in May and back into the home in September. So I have this tree planted in ground this July for the first time and I just have it covered up
    with a garbage can this afternoon for the time being. I still have to put more materials to protect it better.

I live in Toronto, Canada. The winter is harsh here.

I saw this website for free fig cuttings, you can
    see this website:
    http://www.ars.usda.gov/Main/docs.htm?docid=12146

I hope you can get free fig cuttings from USDA,
    and if you do get it, please tell me the details.
    I would like to place an order to the USDA for
    free fig cuttings in the future soon.
    But I am unsure of the steps as I haven't got
    a DHL account.

Good luck!

Fignewbies

• olympia_gardener
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi,fignewbie, Thanks for the info. I was looking at UCD few times in the past few years. I thought it would be more fun to trade cuttings within this community. I got several cuttings from members here already so I am good for now.

My fig tree just completely defoliated. I will wait till sometime in Nov. when the weather is for sure not going to warm up to bury it. Many members here have been growing trees in ground in this area so I am pretty sure my tree will survive if I follow their proven methods/steps.
    Good luck with your tree.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES