Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgirl_gw

Where to buy good dried figs?

milehighgirl
11 years ago

I've been reading about figs a lot and my mouth just waters when I think of eating delicious figs. I want to buy some good dried figs to tide me over. Any suggestions? I bought some at the grocery store and they were like cardboard in taste and rubber in texture. Yuck!

Comments (11)

• cis4elk
    11 years ago

Go to Whole Foods. They are still getting fresh Black Mission and sometimes Latturala. They sell dried black mission and a really good larger light colored fig, I haven't bought any in a while but I think they just call them turkish figs. You may want to try calling the store you go to first, I know there is a lot of variability from store to store. I go to the one in Centennial(streets of southglenne).

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

cis4elk, Thanks for that. I was also wondering about Vitamin Cottage. I will try Whole Foods tomorrow.

Good to know there is another Coloradan growing figs. What has been working for you?

• cis4elk
    11 years ago

I grow them in pots. This is the end of the first year. I gave you some of this input in one of the other threads. Anyhow, I'm taking mine into the attached garage this winter. It doesn't get too cold there. All the trees that had visible dormant growth buds to start with this spring ripened figs. Those that had issues and starting growth from tiny microscopic specs of green put on good growth but failed to ripen. I'm really looking forward to next year, I have a pretty good line-up of figs that are mostly dormant now and healthy. Ready to pump out some tastey figs next year.
    Next year I am going to bury most of my pots half way or more. I grow in clay pots, and our sun gets them really hot. Once I figured that out this year, I clustered all my pots together so they could shade each other and put annual flowers on the parimeter; from that point on their growth was really good.

I am going to try an inground someday, first I need to grow a good back up tree. So I'm probably looking at 3 years at the earliest. But I think with the proper winter insulation technique and variety we may be able to pull it off.

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Turkish dried figs are the best dried fruit I've ever eaten. They can be found online in anything from 1 to 30 lb boxes. I won't recommend any particular supplier because I haven't bought any lately. There is one caveat, the fruit can at times have an off taste, fermented I think. Perhaps because of improper handling during the drying process. When right there is nothing better, IMO.

• gorgi
    11 years ago

I bought dried figs from nuts.com before and was very satisfied. Try here:

Here is a link that might be useful: nuts.com

• fruitnut Z7 4500ft SW TX
    11 years ago

Yes, the 30 lb case of Turkish dried figs from Nuts.com is what I've bought before. The first time they were 100% magnificent. The second time about half had the off taste.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I went to Whole Foods yesterday and all they had were dried Black Mission and Tena. The Tena had a little more flavor than my local grocery store's but not good texture, the Black Mission were better but still not what I would consider even average. The produce man said their last shipment of fresh figs was last week.

I will try Nuts.com and see how I like them. I've always preferred Calimyrna. Have you tried these from Nuts.com, gorgi?

• cis4elk
    11 years ago

Well I guess I better buy some fresh ones at the WF I go to, I was there yesterday and looked but didn't buy any. I'll check out the dried ones too. See if they are Tena.

• milehighgirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was able to get Calimyrna and Turkish stemless figs at Vitamin Cottage and the Turkish were better by far (Great texture and almost too sweet!). I know I can order a case from them so I think that is what I will do.

• cis4elk
    11 years ago

It's still worth it to check with your local WF once a week to see if they have fresh figs. Mine has been still getting them on and off. I bought some missions last week, I saw yesterday they had something that looked like BT.
    The good dryed figs I refered to were in fact the organic Turkish figs, but they had them in the bulk bins(they are out presently). It definetly wasn't Tena or Calymryna. I bought a small bag of the Turkish at my closest Vittamin Cottage, they are the same ones I have had before except these do have the off taste-a bit of sour. Maybe they soured before or during the drying process.

Buying them in pre paks sucks. I like the ones in the bulk bins, that way I can pick out the ones I like best. The gummy ones, mmmm.

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus