Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ventilation needed?

Posted by frozenjoe MA 5B / 6A (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 14:55

I wrapped my one in-ground tree for the winter.

Photobucket

I tied the branches together.
Then I piled mulch around the base of the tree.
Then I wrapped it in insulation and filled in any open space with dead leaves.
Then I put 2 plastic bags over it.
Then I put more mulch around the base.

It was a lot of work! But it will be worth it if my tree survives in ground without any damage.

HERE IS MY QUESTION: Should I pop some holes in the plastic so that it gets ventilation? Will that allow too much cold air in?

Thanks for your help.

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ventilation needed?

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a MI (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 18, 09 at 15:28

Fungal infection will assuredly kill it (at least the top) w/o air movement.

Al

o

I would put in a box of mouse poison. I have read horror stories of what mice will do to a fig tree.

You will only get fungal infection if there is moisture in there. So I would not put holes in it as they will let in moisture.

-Bill

o

Maybe replace the plastic with tar-paper (open at the
top/(bottom?) for ventilation and put 'some' sort of a cap
on top (e.g., a bucket) to stop rain water from going in...

o

Thanks for responding guys.

I have been keeping an eye on my fig tree. I started to notice moisture building up inside of the plastic, especially after the warm days we've been having.

So I cut open the top of the plastic bags and let everything dry out. Then I covered it with a bucket.

Hopefully that works and my tree stays protected. I'll let you know how it turns out in the spring.

Joe

o

Photobucket

Here is my fig tree today. It survived the winter here with the protection that I gave it. It had die back on some branches, which I pruned off. Everything left is alive. It's swelling up green buds on the branches that don't have leaves yet.

Fig trees can survive in ground in northern Massachusetts with protection.

Joe

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here