Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dieseler

Last VdB n Mission Fig

dieseler
13 years ago

Last VdB n Mission figs for the season. Latest figs ever here near Chicago in my yard.

Mission fig interior is more amber this time around .

Both figs were edible but they have lost flavor now late in season.

Mission n Vdb on plate

{{gwi:830245}}

Mission on Tree now spent of figs

{{gwi:830246}}

Mission interior

{{gwi:830247}}

Vdb Eye and Mission Eye which is on right side of pic.

{{gwi:830248}}

VdB Interior

{{gwi:830249}}

VdB On tree

{{gwi:830250}}

Best Health

Martin

Ebay Id - Dieseler6z92

Comments (15)

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Martin,
    Thanks for sharing that information and nice pictures.

That eye sure looks big for a Mission fig and the pulp looks loose rather than dense. Store bought Mission figs figs from California have tight eyes and a rather dense interior pulp. My BM figs have small tight eyes and still taste very good when ripening during cooler weather. Is that a typical looking fig from your BM tree? Is your BM the Monrovia strain?

Dan

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dan,
    this tree is only in first season so there is no typical fig at this point. In my experience with young fig plants there can be variations in taste, shapes of figs and sizes of eye on same plant during its early juvenile stage. Most times until a fig is more mature, produces it crop more evenly together then i can gauge its characteristics. The few figs on tree came out late this season , some trees i looked at had many figs on them being from California but i choose the one without any being a plant further behind.
    This particular fig first appeared in my yard July 19th along with several others, it had a mild frost of 34 degree's and another of 28 hit it during its life on tree, another ripe mission fig had seen 1 frost and interior was not amber like this one and had more richer taste this particular fig was just all out sweet no other taste. This tree is a monrovia mission that came from Morovia's Visalia California 1000 acre field according to the man at nursery where i obtained it from, it was a recent delivery to them via climate controlled truck shipment. They sold out soon after i bought mine as i went back and had nice chat with the informative fella. He personally travels and make selections of many tropicals and figs are a small part of the overall business for them although each year they carry them.
    Best Health
    Martin

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Execuse my Idiocy what the VdB stands for

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

VdB = Violet de Bordeaux

• foolishpleasure
    13 years ago

Thanks

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

VDB also stands for Very Delicious Black fig.

Dan

• dieseler
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Now Dan i smiled when i read the above.
    How about another VDB for "Very Delicious Bordeaux"
    2 Bordeaux figs VdB and RdB i have are really wonderful tasting figs the other type Rouge de Bordeuax i hope to taste in a season or two if it makes it through storage.
    Martin

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Martin, I really like the taste of those Very Delicious Bordeaux figs!! There is so much flavor in the skins of that particular cultivar that I even eat the skins when they look ugly. Sometimes I will eat the pulp and save eating just the skin for last. My two young fig apprentices really love this variety.

My young in-ground RdB tree was winter killed this past winter. I had an opportunity to taste one ripe fig from it the season before. The fig was taken from a small tree but it sure did taste like it had a lot of potential. I have a replacement tree for it and it will likely be two seasons before I get to taste one again. I will watch for your posts on RdB next season.

Dan

• ejp3
    13 years ago

Dan, I thought rdb was a cold hardy type. To get winter killed down south in your location worries me about putting one in the ground up here. I know Martin only grows in pots.

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Dan,
    are VdB and Negronne the same fig?Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Ed, it was my fault that the young tree died. I planted it in the ground too soon and did not give it the protection that it needed. What happens in my area.....sap will flow at the first sign of warm weather only to get zapped by a following frost or light freeze. Those warm then cold then warm then cold temperature cycles is murder on young in-ground fig trees. Cycling temperatures hurt fig trees more than a nice steady cold temperature that would keep them dormant with no sap flow.

Giuseppe, so far I do not see much difference between Negronne and VdB and would be pleased with either one. RdB definitely is a different fig.

Dan

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Dan,
    thanks .I do have Negronne ,a fig that I like and does good in my area.Good to know that Negronne and VdB are very similiar.Im not familiar with RdB.This year Valle Negra was my best testing fig ,second my Carrapipe Black,and Negronne was third

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Giuseppe,

Any fig that tastes better than VdB or Negronne is a GREAT fig to have in one's collection......and you have two of those great tasting figs ranking above Negronne. Congratulations!!

Dan

• alb419_ny
    13 years ago

Dan,
    email me if you want cuttings of this figs.Ciao,
    Giuseppe

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Giuseppe,

I will take you up on that kind offer and will make available to you cultivars that I have available for trading. Thank you.

Dan

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!