Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grey Madeira or Black Madeira

Posted by bonsaist Z6/ Bethlehem, Pa (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 15:10

This is actually a black Madeira, but due to lack of sun and the cool weather the fig didn't change color to it's normal dark purple skin.

It is the sweetest fig I've had this year. It is so sweet it can burn your throat.

Bass

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Black Madeira

Here's some more

Bass

o
RE: Grey Madeira or Black Madeira

Beautiful photos Bass. These are pics of my Black Madeira as of yesterday. My 5 yo daughter said they were the best figs she has ever eaten!
Black Madeira
Black Madeira
Black Madeira

o

Leon,
Your figs look nicer with their dark skin. You're getting more sun and warmth than we are at this time of the year. Mine were still very sweet and excellent tasting.
Your daughter is right.

o

Awesome pics guys! I am hoping next year my 2 Black Madeiras produce fruit like yours. They look so good. Tell me, did you add any super phospates in Spring? thanks, Dennis

o

snag:
I planted it in the ground and backfilled with the same soil. I did not add anything. Our home is located on ancient river silt adjacent to the Rio Grande River. Just about everything grows well in this soil.

o

Wow just lovely, wish I had some Black Madeira figs.

o

• Posted by gorgi z6b NJ (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 20, 09 at 19:14

The BM is a (good-but-late) fig.
ALSO very hard to reproduce!...

o

• Posted by noss 9 Lafayette, LA (My Page) on
    Mon, Nov 22, 10 at 1:57

Hi George,

You say the BM is hard to reproduce. Does that mean it's hard to do even an air layer?

Thanks,

noss

o

I meant hard to root the cuttings; and
once they root, they are slow to put growth.
At least that was my experience...

o

Gorgi is right, they are more difficult to propagate and slow to grow, but when they bare they are worth the extra work. The trees at the UCDavis are dwarfed, they are infected with FMV, but per the ucdavis officials they believe this is a dwarf variety.
Here's a follow up photo of the same tree this year. It was ripe in early September this year. The skin color was much darker and even sweeter, it did set a nice crop.

bass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here