Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tying down branches to root new figs?

Posted by wertach 7 SC (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 15:38

I did a search, got "not so good" results. I have a huge fig tree and it has set roots on many branches. They are too big to dig up, plus I'm lazy! LOL

I am thinking about tying some branches down to start some new trees. Can I do that now or should I wait until a different time of year? I would like to have some transplants next spring or fall that are easy to dig.

Also when should they be transplanted?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tying down branches to root new figs?

• Posted by lukeott 7 south jersey (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 19:30

do a search on air layer. i'm new to figs so advice might not be right, but here goes. I would wait till next spring and do air layers. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to make new trees and by end of next year they will have good root system. I would wait for other suggestions from more experienced fig growers.

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 11, 11 at 22:26

"...... has set roots on many branches."???? What does this mean?

The practice you're describing is called 'ground layering'. It's easy and virtually foolproof. I'll link you to something I didn't read, (but I looked at the pictures) :-) I don't know if it mentions this, but you'll get roots much faster if you remove the bark and expose cambial tissues on the lowest part of the layering - that would be directly under the brick on the underside of the branch you're layering.

See also 'stooling', which is also a near foolproof in-ground method of propagating multi-stemmed plants. If you're interested, I can give you a guide to how to employ stooling for figs & most other trees.

Al

Here is a link that might be useful: More on ground layering

o

"...... has set roots on many branches."???? What does this mean?"

The bottom branches have touched the ground and rooted by themselves.

I know how to ground layer, I've done that with grapes and flowers. I'm just wondering if it would work over winter with a fig so that I can transplant in the spring or fall next year.

Thanks!

o

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 13, 11 at 14:17

It probably will work if you mulch the area well where you want roots to occur, especially if leaves are still green & making food for the plant & you get right after it. New roots aren't as tolerant of cold as their older more lignified counterparts, so some protection to help ensure the viability of any newly formed roots would be very helpful.

Why not just use the already rooted branches you have & call it a day?

Al

o

"Why not just use the already rooted branches you have & call it a day?"

See Above! ;) They are too big to dig up, plus I'm lazy! LOL

The root balls are so big I would need a backhoe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here