Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
norwalk_terraces

bringing madeira fig inside to ripen fruit?

norwalk_terraces
11 years ago

I am a fig newbie and started with 5 potted figs in late spring this year. 2 in pots had no fruit. A large tree in a pot (greenhouse-grown and bought with little figs already on it) fruited well and has now lost almost all of its leaves. I have 2 potted figs in the ground (sides of pots were slit partially open to allow roots to grow through the pot but to allow me to cut through the roots with a spade to dig up the pots and bring them inside for winter).

Both trees grew very well, much better than those not in the ground (more foliage and figs). My Madeira fig still has many green figs on it that may just be a few weeks away from ripening (or maybe just days, for all I know - I already harvested some ripe ones a few weeks ago and those were not breba since the little figs all appeared at about the same time). Question: I was going to wait until it had lost all of its leaves and had experienced some cold nights before digging the bush up and bringing it into the garage. It still has all its leaves. Now I am wondering if I should dig it up and bring it into my house. I have a warm sunny room -- what are the chances that the figs would ripen there? If they ripen, I can then always bring the tree back outside so it gets its requisite cold period before putting it in the garage.

Suggestions?

Thanks! (I'm in Norwalk CT, formerly a zone 6b, now 7a)