Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brunsfig

Hello everyone

brunsfig
12 years ago

I�m a fig fan from Germany. I live close to the French boarder in the southwest of Germany. The relatively warm climate here, sometimes described as submediterranean, allows the growing of fig trees, pomegranades and other "exotic" plants such as windmill palms, almonds, peaches or nectarines. Although I have several mediterranean plants the fig tree is definitely my favorite plant. At the moment my collection consists of Negronne, Goutte D�Or, Madeleine, Pastilliere, Brogiotto nero, Brown Turkey, (probably) Tena, (probably) Abicou and a bunch of hardy varieties from Germany, Northern Italy and Eastern France.

I�m looking forward to an interesting exchange here in the forum.

the brunsfig :)

Comments (13)

• ejp3
    12 years ago

Bruns, welcome. The only German figs I have are Pottsdammer and one that is called here giant German.

• brunsfig
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks! I�ve never heard of Pottsdammer or the giant German. Sounds quite interesting, though. May I ask where you bought them? Do you have pictures?
    Potsdam is a rather cold city with a continental climate (winters sometimes as cold as in Chicago but the summers are much cooler) by the way. The winter temperatures can drop below -20 or even -25 degrees Celsius in the Potsdam area. If the Potsdamer is really hardy and fruits in Potsdam it�s definitely one of the hardiest figs existing.

the brunsfig

• dieseler
    12 years ago

Brunsfig how old is your Pastiliere tree and how does it perform for you.
    I also grow it and would like to hear how yours does.
    Martin

• brunsfig
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Martin,

I can�t say much yet, because I bought it only a few weeks ago. The tree is probably five years old, but that�s only a guess.
    Summers here will be warm and sunny enough to guarantee a satisfying crop. But the tree has a rather cool place (all the warm places near walls are already given to other fig trees), only protected by Thuja hedges, a small stone bucket and a board. Winters here can get as cold as -20 Celsius, although it�s Zone 7b. One out of ten winters will be dangerous for the tree. So this will be the critical point. As I said: fruits and everything else will most likely be fine.

In a German forum I read that Pastilliere is a compact tree with big, beautiful leaves and the fruits ripen early. However, some people made the experience that other varieties, such as Madeleine or Negronne, are hardier.

What to say: the small Pastilliere is rather hardy, but probably not one of the hardiest. The small size makes it easy to protect the tree in critical winter nights. Pastilliere looks good and bears fruit quite reliably. The fruits are known for being rich in taste, but not very sweet compared to other figs.
    => To me itôs not a must have, but an interesting variety with little space requirements. If I could only have one of the smaller fig trees it would be Negronne.

the brunsfig

• dieseler
    12 years ago

Brunsfig thank you for your comments.
    Nice to hear how fig trees do in other countries.
    Martin

• brunsfig
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What are your experiences with Pastilliere in Zone 5? You have them in pots, right?

If you are interested in fig trees in the south-west of Germany you may find it interesting to hear that some people here in the area have really old fig trees (10, 20, some 50 years or more) that are about 20ft high (of course not in pots) and don�t get winter protection. But the climate is rather central/eastern French than typical German. Some examples:
    http://www.gaestehaus-rebstoeckel-pfalz.de/Portals/29/EasyGalleryImages/2/2/P1070301.JPG
    http://up.picr.de/5072492.jpg

the brunsfig

• dieseler
    12 years ago

Brunsfig yes i grow all the fig plants in pots here, this one in 25 gallon pot.
    My pastiliere is in 3rd season, last season was first year producing and drop all figs except one fig . This season it drop about 65 percent and ripened about 35 percent which is much better than last season.
    I have read from others that have had similar experience with dropping of fruit from this type of cultivar.

Im very curious if a older Pastiliere plant will continue to drop or ripened more of its crop with age.

My other type of fig plants i grow never acted this way.

I keep the hope it will retain its crop with age because the fruit was good to my palate.
    I have pictures but did not want to impose in your thread .
    Martin

• brunsfig
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh wow, two thirds dropped. That�s really bad. I remember reading of that problem before (with younger trees, too). Really makes me think, whether or not I should keep the tree. But as you wrote, it�s possible that this problem will disappear after some years.

Maybe you should place the Pastilliere where it�s completely protected from the main wind/rain direction.

I�d love to see pictures.

the brunsfig

• dieseler
    12 years ago

Brunsfig this picture show fruit premature color with no swelling that will always drop.
    {{gwi:830803}}

These pictures show pastiliere tree and what a good fruit looks like on the tree.
    {{gwi:830804}}
    {{gwi:830805}}
    {{gwi:830806}}
    Thanks for looking.
    Martin

• brunsfig
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the pictures. That�s a beautiful little tree and the fruits look awesome, REALLY ripe, almost like jam. Do they have enough sugar in your opinion?
    I know the problem with those small fruits that suddendly change their color and fall to the ground a few days later, happened with my Tena fruits this year.

the brunsfig

• gorgi
    12 years ago

Hi brunsfig, welcome to this fig forum...
    RE the Potsdam fig:
    I very recently acquired it, with some fruit on it!
    Very hard to post pics here (needs a host).
    For some additional comments and pics about this fig,
    pl. join F4F/FF...

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com

http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/post?2nd-annual-fig-festival-in-Staten-Island-NY-5484511

• dieseler
    12 years ago

Yes sugar content was good along with taste of mulberry and note of melon.

• rofig
    10 years ago

Hi brunsfig, are you interested for exchanging cuttings?

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner