Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herman2_gw

Scott's Black fruits pix,For Dan Abadie,evaluation!

herman2_gw
13 years ago

Scott's Black,exceded all my expectation,in taste falavor and rain resistance.

It remain to be seen if it is cold tolerant enough to keep living inground here in NJ.

Taste and Flavor:This fig have taste and flavor of both a good Celeste combined with a good Violette de Bordeaux.

My Opinion is they hibrydised a Mother Celeste fig crossing it with the exact male caprifig,that was the same male parent for Violette de Bordeaux.

The result:A magnificent new excellent tasting cultivar.

The figs in above pix were harvested today after a rain last night,and they did not lose flavor or split as it can be seen,in picture.

Comments (13)

• ejp3
    13 years ago

If its a cross between vdb and celeste, which are both early ripening types here in the NE, why does it ripen so late?

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Because it is,still a very young plant,and it is inground too,partener,that is why.
    Dan, Gave me a little rooted cutting,to evaluate, 2 years.
    ago.
    I planted it inground from the start.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

And Violette de Bordeaux is not an early ripening cultivar,for the main crop.
    It is early ripening of Breba crop,but it is middle season ripening for main crop,at about 1st of September.
    The pix you see of Scott's black is of main crop,because breba was absent totally in my climate ,for this inground tree.

• noss
    13 years ago

I had the opportunity to taste a few Scott's Black figs last month and they were quite good. It was from a 2-year-old tree that was big. It looks like a strong grower down here.

That is--IF it's really a Scott's Black like Dan has.....

:)

noss

• bonsaist
    13 years ago

Do you think there's more than one labeled as Scott's Black? I got mine from JR and it's ripening now. However it did split, and it's lacking flavor. Maybe it's still young.

Bass

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have no Ideea Bass!
    Just look at the pix and if your ripe fruits look like that,then you got a Scot Black,if not then is something else.
    That is why I placed in the pix all fruits I harvested yesterday,for possible sure ID.

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Forgotten to mention:I did harvest fruits starting September 15,from This cultivar,but only one at the time,(not to mention the dissapearing,fruits taken by other creature)so this time was the only time I could get a bunch to take a detailed pix.

• noss
    13 years ago

They look like the SB that I ate at Marty's house (They were delicious) and it came from JR and so did my SB baby and my baby had 10 figs on it when I got it and they began to ripen. They looked just like the pics, here. I tried a few, but the tree was too young for them to be very good. It was tall when I got it from JR and he said if I liked it, that would be good because he would have to chop off half of it to mail it to anyone. And that was fine with me. It's about 4 1/2' tall and I'm happy with it.

I will often say that I have a certain kind of tree and add--That is, IF it really is what kind of tree it was said to be, because I'm so disappointed to find that several of the trees I got are not the real McCoy. :(

I KNOW JR's Scott's Black is the real thing.

noss

• robert_2007
    13 years ago

Herman, How does your Scott's Black taste compared to Kathleen's black???

Bob

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

About the same,good, this year,but totally different flavors.
    Of course I am sure after the time,they got ripe as young trees(about same age),I can see Kathleen black is going to be earlyer in getting ripe here.
    But for a person like me who wants to have high quality fruits later,after September 15,too,in addition to the August fruits,then for me a late ripening cultivar like Scot's black,is needed very much,and very welcomed.
    That is why I rate it high.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Herman, it is good to see your pictures and hear your good report. You are the FIG WISPERER for sure as I've just posted elsewhere in another thread. As far as I know, Dr. O'Rourke only bred Celeste and Hunt mother figs during his breeding program. I do not have much information about the male caprifig that he used.

For general information only ........I am currently evaluating three little known LSU black figs.....Scott's Black, Late Black, and St. Gabriel Black. I am not ready at this time to make a final determination on each of these cultivar's fruiting characteristics. They all produce excellent tasting fruit and are definitely worthy of further study. These three black figs are mid to late season ripening which can extend one's fig season.

Dan

• herman2_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Dan:I would think that the male parent also,is important in the making of the new progeniture.
    Think of the UCD Hybrids:Persistant caprifigs with white pulp were used,in order to create light interior for pasta making.
    Result:bland flavor.
    In Louisiana they were looking to create figs for Jam making or canned figs in syrop,so they needed juicy tasty,high sugar, persistant caprifigs,no matter the color,or the dark interior,so they used Black male caprifig.
    Result:Scott's black,juicy tasty and very dark red inside,a lots of sugar inside fruit ,so they do not need to add a lot when making canned fig in syrop.
    Also resistence to rain is very important in Louisiana but not so important in Fresno Ca.
    The result :Better figs for Backyard from Louisiana University.

• danab_z9_la
    13 years ago

Herman,

What you say makes a lot of sense. Condit's concept was for the fig drying and fig paste industry (in a dry area) and O'Rourke's concept was for producing rain tolerant figs for La's fledgling fig canning industry in a rainy climate. Two completely different approaches and goals.

I recently found out that O'Rourke also bred low chill apples and pears. One of his apples selections has survived and thrives in a fruit orchard where it still produces good tasting apples in our hot climate.

Dan