Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A couple of Jolly Tiger pictures

Posted by hlyell 8 Jackson, MS (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 18:19

I'm pretty sure I took some pictures of the ripe figs (both inside and out), but I can't find them. When the figs are completely ripe they are large, dark purple on the outside and red on the inside. They also ripen fairly early in the season (unlike Panache). When the figs first appear on the tree they are striped green and yellow but not in the same stark contrast as Panachee. These Jolly Tiger figs really have very little in common with Panachee figs. There may be a version of this tree that has figs like Panache, but mine are not. I mentioned this to Barry (at Asiatica), and he emailed me a picture of a tree with variegated leaves (just like my leaves) with figs that looked exactly like Panache. Anyway, the figs were pretty good for first figs. It will be interesting to see how this one developes.

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com
Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A couple of Jolly Tiger pictures

That is so cool. Is this the fig that is from Japan? I never ever seen this fig before! Ciao Maggie

o

• Posted by hlyell 8 Jackson, MS (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 19:16

Ciao Maggie,

Yes, that's the story - that this fig was found in Japan. I wish I had taken more pictures when my little tree had all it's variegated leaves. It really is cool looking.

H

o

To me the leaves are beautiful and unusual for a fig tree which i think makes it nice and breaks up the all green leaves of the other tree's. Thats simply a beautiful fig tree you have there!!!
Martin

o

Hlyell when you say "I wish I had taken more pictures when my little tree had all it's variegated leaves" does this mean you think the tree will grow out of the variegation, what I mean is do you think the tree as it matures will produce all green leafs only?
thank you
Sue

o

• Posted by hlyell 8 Jackson, MS (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 18, 08 at 22:07

Sue,

No, that isn't what I meant. By the time I got around to taking this picture the tree was well past its peak of pushing out healthy new leaves. We had had some rain, and some of the leaves had already dropped. Some of the remaining leaves had lost some of their crisp colors. A few weeks earlier it was just a more beautiful little tree.

Your question raises the concern I've thought about (and people here have commented on). Will the leaves gradually lose their variegation? Time will tell. 2008 was my tree's second full year. When I got it around Jan., 2007 it was a tiny rooted cutting. As of this year it showed no signs of weakening variegation. I'll be watching it next year for this. One limb (a lower limb) from the beginning has had normal leaves - with no variegation. I've got more notes on this topic, and I'll post more later.

Henry

o

can we trade one of your variegated figs plant for a June plum tree already fruiting

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here