Return to the Fig Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Brown Turkeys? Help in Identifying Please

Posted by joe_grandinetti 5b NE PA (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 1, 08 at 21:16

Hello,

I really appreciate all of the sharing of information and great advice on this forum. I hoping to get some opinions on what varieties two of my fig trees might be.

I have had these trees for about 8 years and had just assumed they were brown turkeys, based on some basic research at the time - now I'm starting to question myself the more I read on this forum and Jon's Encanto Farm Fig forum.

One tree, I acquired as a one-year old rooted cutting from a Mr. Leo who has been growing the mother tree (in ground) in north eastern PA for 20 years or so. He does not know the true variety of the fig. The other I rooted from a cutting taken from my wife's uncle Corrado's fig tree, growing in ground at the New Jersey shore.

The leaves of these trees are of the same basic shapes - in fact each tree has leaves of slightly different shapes on the same tree.

First - the "Leo Fig". Figs are somewhat smaller and darker than the other tree. Flavor is a litle more concentrated and slightly sweeter.

From Leo Fig

From Leo Fig

Next the "Corrado Fig" - figs are slightly larger and more "reddish" in skin color, as opposed to purplish "Leo Fig". The "Corrado Fig" is a little less intense in flavor and internal coloring as well.

From Corrado Fig

From Corrado Fig

From Corrado Fig

From Corrado Fig

I would appreciate any thoughts or opinions anyone may have. Also - I am definitely NOT trying to name these unknown figs as "Leo" or "Corrado" - but did so solely for this discussion. Thank you all in advance.

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Brown Turkeys? Help in Identifying Please

Neither looks like BT to me.

o

the corrado leaves look like my brown turkey leaves more than the leo. My leaves are mainly 3 lobed and very rounded, large and flimzy. But I could not say, it is my first brown turkey and it is still small.

o

Corrado leaf looks more like Brown Turkey, but the void inside the fruit is much less than my BT, the pulp is way darker, and it looks much tastier.

I don't think either are BT. Can you post some pictures of the eyes of the fruit when still green? My brown turkey has a characteristic 'pink eye' like this when green:

o

Joe,

I'm not sure what varieties of figs you have. But I am curious about how these two trees do in your PA winters. Do u grow them in containers or in the ground? Do you provide winter protection for them? Do u get any damage on them in the winter? And what about the original Leo tree? Is it in the ground?

Joe

o

Your Leo fig looks great. Doesn't look like any of my Brown Turkey strains.

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Fig Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here