Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robert_2007

Hanc Mathies's Eastern Brown Turkey

robert_2007
14 years ago

While searching for information on cold hardy figs, I ran across postings of comments made by Hanc Mathies, stating that his Sal's fig was hardier then Hardy Chicago. But, his Eastern Brown Turkey was even more cold hardy then his Sal's fig. Does any one have cuttings of Hanc Mathies's Eastern Brown Turkey, that has been confirmed to have originated from Hanc Mathies's tree? Thanks a lot Bob

Comments (10)

• leon_edmond
    14 years ago

It's English Brown Turkey not Eastern BT.
    Bob, please confirm if you finally received my email to your gmail address? Thanks, Leon

• ingevald
    14 years ago

Hello,
    I had a conversation with Hanc last year and he told me that the Brown Turkey that Miller Nursery sells is is actually an English Brown Turkey. He said it was one of his favorite figs. Miller Nursery http://www.millernurseries.com/ Canandaigua, NY

Ingevald

• robert_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

More on English Brown turkey. After reading and being told that Hanc Mathies had obtained his English Brown Turkey from Miller Nurseries in New York, I was about to place an order with them for their English Brown Turkey, when I was informed by a well known fellow fig collector and seller that Miller Nurseries does not grow their own Brown Turkey fig. But, they buy them from Empire Nursery. So, after learning of that I decided not to order a Brown Turkey from Miller nursery. I'm thinking that more then likely Miller might receive a different strain of Brown Turkey from Empire each year. I'm also thinking that Hanc Mathies simply lucked out with the Brown Turkey he purchased from Miller. I think that may beone of many the reasons for so much confusion as to whether or not Brown Turkey is a good tasting fig or not. Is it possible that Brown Turkey fig is a fig that is easy to mutate. That after hundreds of years it has so many varients that there truely are really great tasting Figs on some Brown Turkey plants and yet really bad tasting figs on other Brown Turkey plants??? My interest in Hanc Mathies's Englsih Brown Turkey comes from the fact that I'm looking for figs that are very cold hardy, and I have read that it is recomended for planting out side as far north as 4A. I would imagine that is with winter protection. But, yet there are a lot of us fig people in very cold areas, who would welcome having such a cold hardy fig. Until some how we can build up stock for cuttings from a English Brown Turkey that can be verified as coming from Hanc Mathies's tree we will not know if it's the real Hanc Mathies English Brown Turkey or not. Does any one out there have yet a Hanc Mathies confirmed English Brown Turkey fig that is old enough to take cuttings from or small rooted plants?. I'm willing to trade/purchase. My correct email address is: Bob .

• wildforager
    14 years ago

thats an interesting email address

• gorgi
    14 years ago

I called Mr. Miller a few days ago about his BT.
    I got an answer today saying that it not an EBT.
    Next year's batch is coming from some TN nursery.
    He does not recall the source of the BT pic. on his web site.

Funny, looking at BelleClare's fig list, I see:

1. Miller's English Brown Turkey-Dark purple/brown, red center.

Most likely this must have been donated by Hanc Mathies to BC.

• gorgi
    14 years ago

More BC stuff: they also listed:

1. EASTERN BROWN TURKEY (a) Large, coppery brown, dark amber center (2 crops).

Wonder what this one is...

• ottawan_z5a
    14 years ago

That will be miraculously wonderful if a tree can survival with reasonable protection as far as Zone 4A. I say reasonable because with over-reasonable protection you grow an orchard in tendra. I hope we can get hands on such fig plant soon.

Has anyone tried growing DANNY'S DELITE outside in Zones experiencing -20C (-5F) with reasonable protection? Some source (033) in Fig4Fun forum varieties page (see below) claims that it can survive -20C (-5F) without mentioning protection!

DANNY'S DELITE, DESCRIPTION
    A possible mutation or seedling found in Southwest Michigan. This plant has survived temperatures -5 degrees F (-20 degrees C) . The fruits are purplish-brown with a good flavor. Plants should be tested before planting commercially. Zones 6-10 (033)

• wildforager
    14 years ago

I have a friend who is growing Danny's Delite in ground near Ashland, WI. He's had it for several years unprotected, thats the good news. Bad news is that in his z4 near lake superior it dies back to the ground every year and sprouts back new again in the spring. He has never gotten any fruit from it. I look forward to meeting up with him in Feb. to get some cuttings from him and see how well it will do for me.

-Little John

• robert_2007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Gorgi, thanks for the additional information on Hanc Mathies's English Brown Turkey. I have been told that Hanc felt that the plant Miller sent to him was mis-labeled by Miller incorrectly as Brown Turkey and that it really was English Brown Turkey. As to whether BC nursery bought theirs from Miller or if Hanc gave it to them, we don't know for sure without some one askiing one of the owners. Although with them having hundreds of fig plants I can't see them actualy buying a fig from Millers. More likely Hanc gave them cuttings. Plus, they both were on Long Island. Also, I have been told that Hanc gave them other selections also. With national large nurseries getting their plants from wholesalers, chances are they buy from whoever places the lowest bid each year. So were ever the English Brown Turkey came from that Miller had, chances are it has long since been mixed in with other plants called Brown Turkey. We are still Looking for some one who has a mature English Brown Turkey, that can be verified to have come fom Hanc. My correct email address is robertcharper symbol at gmail.com Bob

• dollielab_centurylink_net
    12 years ago

I am looking for a couple of the English Brown Turkey Fig Cuttings or trees Can anyone Help me to find them?